"Pea From Eye"?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

"Pea From Eye"?

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 9:49 am

Hey Folks! I posted this elsewhere, so sorry if this is a repeat read...

Does anyone know who originated the "Pea From Eye" and when?

I know "Needle from Eye to Eye," was published in Swami, June 1974 (And I know that goes way further back in history) but, unfortunately the magazine doesn't give any information as to the source or derivation of the effect.

I know most of us are familiar with the effect where the performer "Snorts" up a seed or pea and it emerges from his lower eyelid.

Anyone know where this effect is published if it in fact is?

I performed this last night, and it freaked one of my regular tables, so I'd like to look into the history of the effect. (My wife and I bought a bunch of seeds for the garden last weekend and she got these pretty small sunflower seeds that were the perfect size, so I thought I'd try it)

Thanks in advance-
Jeff

Tom Ladshaw

Re: "Pea From Eye"?

Postby Tom Ladshaw » March 14th, 2003, 11:48 am

I guess you're referring to the "Tears of Buddha" effect. E.J. Moore supposedly performed this in the early 1920's. I know it's in either the 1937 or 1938 Hugard Annual of Magic. As I recall, it's written up in the Annual as performed with small steel ball bearings. Not a good idea if you plan to use them repeatedly....they rust. Trust me...I know. Small beans were used at one time... I personally use plastic pearls from cheap necklaces.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 14th, 2003, 4:00 pm

I think John Ramsay published something on this. But the origins seem to be from the JADOOWALLA street performers in India.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 5:43 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I think John Ramsay published something on this.
Could be this is where part of John Ramsay's Four Little Beans comes from. Anyone doing shows with a macrovision screen could have fun with this trick.

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2003, 6:53 am

I love to watch this trick - but am wary of trying it - in case the bean / pea / seeds gets 'lost'. My knowledge of the anatomy of the eye is limited - and so I wanted to ask those that perform this regularly if there have been any 'incidents'.

I was also wondering about possible infection and abrasion of the eye surface.

...or am I just being overly cautious?

Thanks

D

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2003, 8:24 am

I don't think a person could be too cautious in performing this stunt (not a trick--a stunt). Personally, I wouldn't do it in a thousand years and as the official voice of the Genii Forum, I take no responsibility if anyone tries this after reading this thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2003, 5:44 pm

OH... you mean pea as in the vegetable. I thought you meant "I laughed so hard last night that..." --Asrah

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2003, 5:59 pm

I've seen some Italian horror movies where it appeared that someone peed from the eye.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”