What is the name of this effect?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Rasmussen

What is the name of this effect?

Postby Brian Rasmussen » July 15th, 2004, 8:52 am

A long time ago I bought a video, can't recall the title, which had several magicians performing some pet effects. I remember Derek Dingle performing an ace trick and I wonder if anybody knows what the effect of the trick was and if it had a title. Was this published or did he just do it specifically for this video. I remember the video also featured Bernard Billis, Paul Harris, David Roth, Frank Garcia, and Tony Hassini. At the time the video seemed more geared toward the younger magician, but I remember the Dingle routine being somewhat challenging for me then (classic Dingle) and I would like to try to relearn it now. I don't have the video now so any help is appreciated?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: What is the name of this effect?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2004, 9:59 am

With the exception of Tony Hassini, it sounds like one of the Stars of Magic compilation videos now sold by either A-1 or Murphy's (can't recall who got them in the split).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 15th, 2004, 10:27 am

Looks like it's the first video on this page:
http://www.daytonamagic.com/Video\'s/video025.htm

Doesn't give any info of the effects they teach, however.

Brian, could you describe the basic effect? There's a number of people here (like Richard) that are very familiar with Dingle's repertoire.

(BTW -- Looks like A-1 is selling the Stars of Magic videos.)

-Jim

Brian Rasmussen

Postby Brian Rasmussen » July 15th, 2004, 10:37 am

Ah ha! That is the one. I didn't think I could find it again. If I remember right the effect was sort of an ace assembly. I remember having trouble with a switch of the cards and also doing a buckle count at the end to show the four aces. Of course, it looks amazing on the video when Derek Dingle does it. You could show the five cards as four aces in an easier way at end, but it didn't look near as nice as Derek's buckle count. I think I was in high school when I first encountered this Dingle effect, and what I considered my first real intro into sleight-of-hand. I'm now almost 29 so I'm surprised the video is still for sale.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2004, 11:05 am

Derek did Herb Zarrows Double and Triple Buckle techniques flawlessly: the cards just spread out as smoothly as you could hope for.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » July 15th, 2004, 3:50 pm

Derek had two Stars of Magic videos. One was a solo performance and the other was a compilation video with Paul Harris, Frank Garcia, and David Roth. The ace routine using Derek's too-smooth-to-believe triple buckle was Elmsley's Aces from the solo video.

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Video\'s/video010.htm

Dan

Return to “Close-Up Magic”