self-working card tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

self-working card tricks

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2003, 6:06 pm

What are some magic books that contain only self working card tricks? I have two books. They are: Self working card tricks by Kark Fulves and also more. I know he has more books on the subject, but are there any more? I also have cyclopedia of magic. I really like the way the illustrations comes out. So if you could all be so kind and list some of the magic books that contain only self working card tricks.

Gerald Deutsch

Re: self-working card tricks

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 17th, 2003, 7:21 pm

"Scarne on Card Tricks" is another one but why confine yourself to self working card tricks?

If you want to perform card magic why not learn a few basic sleights such as the jog shuffle, the double lift, the palm, the glide etc. You can get these from a Dover book, "The Royal Road to Card Magic" and you'll enjoy it.

For your information, "Scarne on Card Tricks" have great effects that have had the basic sleights replaced by "self working' methods and in many cases that makes the effect weaker and I added back the sleighs to the effects I use from that book.

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2003, 10:37 pm

I don't think there is many books titled "self working card magic" There is a lot of self working tricks scattered about, the trick is finding them. Even many advanced volumes have self workers hidden in surprising places.
One book you may want to get is "magic for dummies" which has same self working tricks and other stuff kind of like cyclopedia of magic.

cataquet

Postby cataquet » July 18th, 2003, 1:14 am

A nice compromise is Steve Beam's series "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks"! :D

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2003, 4:09 am

I already know some basic sleights of card's except palming cards. I find that very demanding to hide. I thought that I need to know a little more self working card tricks. After learning a few self working card tricks. What should the person get so he can learn card tricks that require just a little more practice? I decided that I needed gordon beans impromptu card magic video volume one and it's very tough for me.

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2003, 4:55 am

Hi LohanWizard,

I have 5 Books of Karl Fulves and they all contain selfworking card tricks. Look at www.amazon.com and search for "selfworking". You may find these books.

Greetings from germany
Matt ;)

Rennie

Postby Rennie » July 18th, 2003, 6:16 am

Get Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles" there are a total of 6 video's. Also The Card Magic of Nick Trost ( book ) has some excellent self working tricks in it.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » July 18th, 2003, 6:35 am

LoHan... do you really work in a magic store?? :confused:

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2003, 7:13 am

I have all of ETMCM by Ammar and many other videos and books, but I just wanted to know more self-working card tricks. I really think that I know enough card tricks already, but I love doing card magic. I'm trying to get into something else. I'm trying to see if I can get myself into coin magic. They're kind of hard to make it look convincing when you fake to take the coin. The video that I have is introduction of coin magic by Ammar. Yes I do work at a magic shop, started three months ago. ;)

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2003, 10:04 am

Some of the best books tha contain self working card tricks include (although can be very dry to read):
-Scarne on Card Tricks
-Semi-Automatic Card Tricks (Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4)
-Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
-Big Easy Card Cunning
-Magic with Cards (Garcia)
-Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Unique Mentalism World-wide - featuring the Jack Dean line of products.

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » July 18th, 2003, 10:57 am

Although I agree with Paul, that the descriptions of many self-working card tricks are not the most inspiring reading, I have found Steve Beam's "Semi Automatic Card Tricks" series to be amongst the most entertaining and enlightening reading of the magic books that I own. For example and paraphrasing Beams Law number 17 (?) Performing magic is like going to war, you need to have an exit strategy in case something goes wrong.

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » July 18th, 2003, 10:58 am

Although I agree with Paul, that the descriptions of many self-working card tricks are not the most inspiring reading, I have found Steve Beam's "Semi Automatic Card Tricks" series to be amongst the most entertaining and enlightening reading of the magic books that I own. For example and paraphrasing Beams Law number 17 (?) Performing magic is like going to war, you need to have an exit strategy in case something goes wrong.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 18th, 2003, 11:43 pm

It's just my opinion, but do not buy another book of self-working card tricks.

Learn Gemini Twins, from More Self-Working Card Tricks, which you already have. Use the time you save on learning sleight-of-hand to develop a unique presentation.

Rehearse your presentation.
Perform it for people.
Improve the presentation.
Rehearse the new, improved presentation.
Perform that for people.

Do that before you get any more books of self-working card tricks.

Just my opinion.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”