You gonna use that advertising card?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Rasmussen

You gonna use that advertising card?

Postby Brian Rasmussen » July 1st, 2004, 10:52 am

If memory serves me I have came across some card effects which use the poker rules/advertising cards included with most decks. I think such effects may have been in a Simon Aronson book. Does anybody know of other such routines and where I could look for them? I've been brainstorming some things to do with these cards. Thanks.

Re: You gonna use that advertising card?

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 11:00 am

Jim Swain uses the card as a presentation vehicle (for a production sequence that features all the hands referenced on the card.)

This stellar routine ("Rules of the Game") can be found in "Miracles With Cards"

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 1st, 2004, 11:21 am

Originally posted by Brian Rasmussen:
... Does anybody know of other such routines and where I could look for them?
My version of the classic Wildcard trick starts with four advertising cards and a selected card. A FEW people have the write up, and someone is currently selling a variation of the thing.

Blank Blast, the trick published in last month's Magic Magazine is an in-the-hands version you can do without gaffs.

Both of these tricks date from way back in 1978. Every now and then some secrets get out.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 1st, 2004, 3:00 pm

The Aronson routine is called Ad-jacent and it is extremely clever, as one would expect. It appeared in either Kaballa, or the Hierophant, but I believe it is available through Mr. Aronson's website, and from some dealers.

You might like this idea: I have recently realized that if an advertising card could magically come to life, it would exhibit the same annoying behavior of a pop-up ad. Could this be a topical premise for an "Ambitious card" type routine?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 2nd, 2004, 11:54 am

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
...if an advertising card could magically come to life, it would exhibit the same annoying behavior of a pop-up ad.
Bravo Curtis! Even without the pop-up ad association, the basic premise of a pesky card that wants your attention... that is ordinarily not in the deck... makes the trick feasible. And this time, the card to wallet climax makes sense.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » July 2nd, 2004, 11:10 pm

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
I have recently realized that if an advertising card could magically come to life, it would exhibit the same annoying behavior of a pop-up ad.
That's brilliant.

Curtis is certainly living up to one of our mottos here:

"When life hands you Spam, make Spam musubi."

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » July 4th, 2004, 9:58 am

Jay Sankey has an effect in his new book using the Guarantee card.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2004, 4:12 pm

Brian,
The Aronson effect is called Ad-jacent. It can be found for about $6.50. Thats how much I paid for it from Magic Warehouse.

Alton

Return to “Close-Up Magic”