Silk to Egg

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Silk to Egg

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 12:39 pm

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a quality silk to egg gimmick (hollow egg only not the ones with fake yokes), that comes with the adhesive stickers or silk spots for the sucker ending, and where I can purchase it. I have searched online pretty extensively but not found the product I'm looking for, other than on http://www.leirpoll.com/silktoegg.htm and it is over $40. I saw the Lance Burton performance of this awhile back on TV, and wish I had it taped as I loved the presentation. Thanks for the feedback.

-Oz

Pete Biro

Re: Silk to Egg

Postby Pete Biro » September 3rd, 2003, 3:40 pm

Lots of dealers sell the hollow celluloid eggs. Some better than others.

Forty bucks is cheap if it is a good one.

Don't do Lance... :whack: work out your own premise.
:cool:
Stay tooned.

DanV

Postby DanV » September 4th, 2003, 10:04 am

Two things:

1. Go to amazon and buy Lance's DVD...on it is his presentation for Silk-to-Egg

2. Search www.themagiccafe.com for this topic, a very good quality egg was recommended (and I agree, since I bought mine from them...cost about $15) on one of the threads, but for the life of me I can't remember the dealer. It's an actual egg that was hollowed out and reinforced. Maybe I'll get a chance to check once I get home, and if I find it I'll post the name...

Dan Villanti

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2003, 12:56 pm

I buy mine from Hollywood Magic, and they cost $6 each. Phone: 323-464-5610.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » September 4th, 2003, 2:30 pm

Loren (sp?) C. Michaels by far has some of the best work on the silk to egg trick. Denny and Lee Magic Studio has them. I think this was the first silk to egg that really made me double take and go... woah! That has to be about the best method.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 4th, 2003, 2:45 pm

No work is the best method.

In a nutshell, er Eggshell...

After the first part where you show the egg was hollow and take the silk out (I use a flag)...

You have two silks and the fake egg in hand. Put one silk away.

Re-stuff silk into egg as you EXPLAIN how...

Bring out second silk with real egg under it.

Lay onto fake egg, take silk away in hand with fake egg leaving real egg and put silk and fake away into pocket...

Kind of a shuttle pass with cover.

Finish by breaking egg, after you peel off fake spot or whatever.

It is so easy this way.... after 20 years of METHODS I settled on this.

Timing, patter, bits... that is all you need. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » September 4th, 2003, 3:46 pm

Rainer Pfeifer and the rest of the The Flicking Fingers have a great presentation with it... I think it's in their stage show... Don't know how you'd find it though? :confused:

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2003, 5:39 pm

Originally posted by Oz Pearlman:
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a quality silk to egg gimmick (hollow egg only not the ones with fake yokes), that comes with the adhesive stickers or silk spots for the sucker ending, and where I can purchase it. I saw the Lance Burton performance of this awhile back on TV, and wish I had it taped as I loved the presentation. Thanks for the feedback.

-Oz
Oz,
I saw Lance (on a "late-show") perform the same sucker trick and loved it. Fooled my pants off. There is a tenyo silk to egg for $10 (includes silk). Generally Tenyo products are good quality.

As for the stickers, you can get them at any Office Supplies store (Staples.com for example).

As for the routine, the owner of my local magic shop (Barry Taylor) kindly gave me the routine from the Tarbell Course. All I know from looking at my sheets is that its 'lesson 19'. I hope this helps!

By the way, it looked so magical when Lance did it. There was no hesitation, everything was smooth as liquid, and everything had a soft touch. Good luck!

p.s. you can contact Barry Taylor at BarrysMagicShop.com -he carries the tenyo silk to egg in his shop but not on the website. (no, I don't make any commission!)

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2003, 5:51 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
No work is the best method.

In a nutshell, er Eggshell...

After the first part where you show the egg was hollow and take the silk out (I use a flag)...

You have two silks and the fake egg in hand. Put one silk away.

Re-stuff silk into egg as you EXPLAIN how...

Bring out second silk with real egg under it.

Lay onto fake egg, take silk away in hand with fake egg leaving real egg and put silk and fake away into pocket...

Kind of a shuttle pass with cover.

Finish by breaking egg, after you peel off fake spot or whatever.

It is so easy this way.... after 20 years of METHODS I settled on this.

Timing, patter, bits... that is all you need. :genii:
Pete, I didn't quite understand your routine, could you clarify a little bit please, specifically the move when you have the two silks out at once. Thanks in advance.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 4th, 2003, 11:13 pm

Effect: You show a silk handkerchief, stuff into your hand and it turns into an egg. You say "Here's the egg, and the handkerchief is now in my pocket..." you bring a dupe out of your pocket.

You say something like (I will be very brief) "It's a trick. The egg is hollow and I use 2 handkerchiefs." Pull one out of egg. Show egg has hole and is hollow.

You say "I have the second one in my pocket..." "You put one here in my pocket and the other hides the egg when you bring it out" Show egg behind hkf.

"You poke the hkf into the egg... show it.. and bring out the duplicate." (You bring out the real egg hidden by the dupe hkf.)

At this point they think the trick is over and it is a relax moment, you emphasise with body language, etc.

THE SWITCH

(I have seen so many bad switches using dumb moves baskets, etc. that one day this dawned on me... it is beyond simple).

You have brought out the dupe hkf with the real egg hidden under it, you have the gaffed egg in your right hand... simply bring hands together and pretend to place the egg in left hand but retain it and just take the silk hkf away hiding gaffed egg and put in pocket leaving real egg wtih fakek spot on it to peel off for finish.

OR... you can just place the handkerchief over the fake egg and show the real egg...

You need to see which switch fits your body language, attitude, etc.

Then as an afterthought you explain, "Now if I was a real magician I would finish the trick like this..." Pick up a glass or take a deep clear glass saucer out of a pocket and break the egg.... :genii:
Stay tooned.

Mike Rose

Postby Mike Rose » September 5th, 2003, 9:11 pm

One of my favorite versions for a non-messy Silk to Egg is in Ibidem (Volume 1 of the collected works). Instead of switching the hollow egg for a real egg, the hollow egg is switched for another hollow egg, but with a different color silk inside. It changes the effect basically into a color changing silk routine. This on its own is probably not as impressive (to laymen) as producing a real egg, but for a change of pace, it is a nice idea. Although I haven't worked on it seriously, I've considered incorporating it into a three phase Silk to Egg with the ultimate appearance of a real egg. Perhaps it's over kill, but I like the idea of the contents of the egg changing before the real eggs appearance.

Mike Rose

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 6th, 2003, 9:24 am

The routine/words/premise I use was handed down to me from the originator's pal, who got it when the original performer (a star in vaudeville) died.

The method/handling is my own.

However, there isi another method/effect that I have that totally nailed me.

It was created by Howard Bammann, and used by he and Don Alan.

The effect is the same until the finish.

The egg innards, white/yolk, are held up in the glass for all to see and are FAIRLY and OPENLY poured back into your cupped hand.

The hand is opened and VOILA... an egg... and... inside the egg?

The silk handkerchief. :D

Note: I hate calling squares of silk fabric used by magicians "silks" -- !!! :mad:
Stay tooned.

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » September 6th, 2003, 12:23 pm

Hey Folks,
If you find that the egg you currently own or plan to purchase has that fake plastic look then here is an Egg-Tip!
Materials needed:
1 can of Krylon FUSION White Spray Paint ( only needed if egg is made of plastic)
1 can of Rust-Oleum Textured White Spray Paint
1 Can of FLAT Clear Coat.
If the egg is made of a plastic material then here are the steps to making it look real. If the egg is made of painted wood, then eliminate Step 2.
1) Lightly sand the egg with 320 grit sandpaper.
2) Spray 2 LIGHT coats of FUSION Spray Paint. Spray one side at a time letting each coat dry before rolling over to paint other side. Both types of paint dry pretty fast.
3)Spray 2 LIGHT coats of Textured Spray Paint. Let dry completely.
4) Spray 3 LIGHT coats of FLAT or SATIN Clear Coat. Let dry 24 hours before handling. I like to set it outside in the sun to cure.
The advantage of the textured finish is obvious as it gives it that porous look from the audience view. Please note that the textured paint I am recommending is very slightly textured.
This may seem like a lot of work but the results are well worth the small effort on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Hope this helps!
Chance Wolf
Success and wealth are symptomatic of your passion.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 6th, 2003, 2:36 pm

Wolfie.... I see your cup stacker looks great. Does that tie in with the cup stacking craze, or what?

See you at Kramien's April 23-24 (or sooner???)
Stay tooned.

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » September 6th, 2003, 5:15 pm

Pete,
Funny you should mention that! My buddy just informed me of the new Cup Stacking Craze. The only set-back may be some darn kid gets up there and whips through 6 stackings before the Magician can hit the gimmick!!
Thanks for the compliment on the prop. The final design made me happy as a mouse in a cheese factory.
I look forward to seeing you at Stan's. I will be there with all the bells n whistles plus I think I will be doing all my own Demos for now on. I miss being on stage.
Hey, did you ever sell that Abbotts Hole in One? I am interested in buying one.
Email me sometime about that little gimmick we were discussing. I am very interested in marketing it. Maybe we will be lucky enough to each make enough money to buy a cup of coffee :p
Take care!
Chance

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » September 6th, 2003, 5:49 pm

Oz,
There is this website called www.penguinmagic.com .... they may carry them?? :D

scott snider

Postby scott snider » September 30th, 2003, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the egg tips Chance. You are the man! Tried these out and boy do the eggs look real. As always, your ideas are great as well as the product line you put your name on. Keep up the great work.

Scott

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2003, 8:10 am

Originally posted by Chance Wolf:
Hey Folks,
If you find that the egg you currently own or plan to purchase has that fake plastic look then here is an Egg-Tip!
... Chance Wolf
I suppose this would be a way to make a reddened egg look white again. I've got three that have a slight red cast to them, due to continuous contact with red silks.

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2003, 8:15 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Rubel:
Rainer Pfeifer and the rest of the The Flicking Fingers have a great presentation with it... I think it's in their stage show... Don't know how you'd find it though? :confused:
This doesn't seem like fair game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an original routine belongs to a magician until he offers it to the fraternity in lecture, lecture notes, or book.

I wish somebody would publish a book of magical ethics. It gets confusing sometimes.

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2003, 2:56 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Rubel:
Oz,
There is this website called www.penguinmagic.com .... they may carry them?? :D
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely check that out. I like the site, but honestly, what's the deal with that dork in all their videos? :p

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 2nd, 2003, 9:38 pm

Magical Ethics?

Follow the one I use... The Golden Rule.

Let's hope the ACLU doesn't go after that one!
Stay tooned.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » October 3rd, 2003, 2:46 am

Silk to egg tip. Which I read in Genii many years ago.To break the egg use a jar that has a lid.That way you show the egg real ,break it in the jar then put the lid on and put it in your case.So the egg won't spill on your other props. :D

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » October 3rd, 2003, 3:12 am

The jar ,silk to egg tip appeared in T.C. Tahoe column Tips and Bits.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 3rd, 2003, 10:18 am

Break the egg into the jar, put on the lid, hand the jar to a kid and say, "Put this under your pillow and in the morning... it will still be there." :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 3rd, 2003, 10:21 am

One of the top Vaudeville comedy magicians, who's name escapes me at the moment... CLOSED his act with the Silk to Egg.

When he finished, he cracked the egg into a glass... then walked offstage holding the glass up, he then re-entered the stage spinning around as he walked to the center, hit the mike and said, "SUCCESS MAKES ME DIZZY."

I love that bit... :D

Note: Via "inheritances," (or handed down from he to a friend and to me) I have the rights and material to his whole act, which was Egg Bag, Rapping Hand and Silk to Egg. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2003, 6:42 am

Three things to comment on here.

1) If you use the Tenyo egg, get medium eggs to match the fake as the fake is somewhat smaller than than a large egg. You sacrifice a bit of visibility for the better size match but this may be a moot point.

To an audience a white egg is a white egg. This is certainly a decision to be made between each performer and their god(s)?

This tip was given to me many moons ago by Howard Hale.

2)Mr. Groves mentions that his fake egg picked up some red dye from his silks. I have also had this problem as I would tend to leave the silk in the egg until the next show (those pesky wrinkles :mad: ).

I also had problems with newsprint staining the fake egg as I would perform the T&R newspaper often in the same show. Not being as resourceful as Mr Wolf (thanks for the painting tips)I just started putting the fake egg back in the box it came in immediately following each show. Not an earth-shattering solution to the problem but expedient and practical when "in the trenches".

3) Michael Ammar has two silk to egg methods in his published works. One uses a topit one does not.
The topit version is in ,not too surprisingly, "The Topit Book" and I beleive also in one of the New York Magic Symposium books, although not as detailed in its explanation. The non-topit version is in the L&L publication of Michael's magic.

Having used both versions, the second (non-topit) being very similar to Mr. Biro's, I think the non-topit version is the one I prefer.

Just my tuppence.

Kindest regards,

Pete Mills

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2003, 11:12 am

Yes, putting the egg back in the box after each show is a good solution to silk bleeding and egg discoloration.

Recently, I discovered another alternative: I keep the trick stored in two baggies, one inside the other.

In the inside baggie, I store the silk and the dots; in the outside baggie, I store the hollow egg, alone.

That way, all the materials stay together, but the egg doesn't get stained.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 4th, 2003, 8:49 pm

Go to a camping store and buy some "egg holders" ... the ones I use hold two eggs and protect them very well.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2003, 7:17 pm

Thanks loads, Chance, for the advice on painting fake eggs. I spent the last few days going through your painting process, and finally, I have a nice, new-looking egg!

It not only solved my reddened-egg problem, but now, I have a nice testured fake egg.

It requires a bit of work, and I stretched it over a few days, allowing for drying time, fitting it in between tasks, etc. But now, I have a fake egg that's better than new!

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » October 15th, 2003, 10:46 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words and it is always a pleasure to be a help :)
And thanks Pete, Andy and everyone else who have offered all the other cool tips! I have decided to add this to my new act and the advice will save me lots of trial and error.
Take care,
Chance

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2003, 12:49 pm

I bought my Silk to Egg at Steven's Magic Emporium. You can take a look here: http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/sh ... sp?id=1029 :genii:

Return to “Close-Up Magic”