MAKING SPECIAL DICE

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Farmer

MAKING SPECIAL DICE

Postby Bob Farmer » October 24th, 2007, 6:23 am

Does anyone have any experience using laser printers to print color decals?

I want to make some special poker dice with images of card indices on them.

Here are some references I found Googling, but I really need some practical advice.

http://www.beldecal.com/laser_paper.html

http://www.hyaz.com

HP Laser Media @ HP.com

For Hewlett Packard Laser Printers we offer now new media specially made for the HP 2550 and 3500.

New water-slide paper for use in Hewlett Packard Laser Printers. Item Code: PAS/Z

Clear Permanent Self-Adhesive Glossy Film (Clear Adhesive Laser Printable). Item Code: HPGC

White Permanent Self-Adhesive Glossy Film (White Adhesive Laser Printable). Item Code: HPGW

Clear Ultra-Cling Film (Ultra removable Clear Laser printable film). Item Code: HPUC

White Ultra-Cling Film (Ultra removable Clear Laser printable film). Item Code: HPUW

Ian Kendall

Re: MAKING SPECIAL DICE

Postby Ian Kendall » October 24th, 2007, 6:45 am

I played around with making custom cards by printing onto Avery labels and mounting them on blank faced cards. The labels I used are called Clear Inkjet Labels ref J8565 (but I'm fairly sure I used them in a laser printer).

The results were fine - the only problem is that the labels did not fit exactly onto a poker sized card, so there was a degree of trimming required.

The downside to using inkjet labels in a laser printer is the possibility of the labels trashing your drum, so best get some laser clear ones...

The wet decal system looks interesting, but I would question how robust the transfers would be. Thinking back to my model making youth, any hard contact would scratch off the decal...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2007, 8:45 am

Bob;
Whenever I create a new product, one of my big concerns will be making the product permanent (to last for years). I rather doubt that any applied labels would qualify.

For your particular job I would engrave the card indices on the faces of a blank die using my pantograph machine (seen here: http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/Gor ... store.html ).

Commercial engravers now use computer controlled engraving machines. This engraving would result in a permanent and professional looking set of "poker" dice. The engraved indices could be colored with a lacquer stick or by rubbing paint into the engraving - both standard techniques. A local trophy shop can do this job.

BTW - most common poker dice have the just the suit engraved on die faces and the values on other faces to better randonize things.
Jim

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 24th, 2007, 9:10 am

Interesting responses -- thank you.

Jim, I don't intend to manufacture the dice, I'm simply looking for a system that would allow for a do-it-your selfer to make up a few sets for themselves.

The trophy store is a great suggestion because they are everywhere.

I made up some special poker dice by buying some cheap poker dice, sanding off the ink and adding card transfers I bought from Busby years ago. Covered with a clear spray, they were very robust and still look good.

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2007, 9:28 am

Bob;
You said the "B" word :eek:

No sanding required. You may buy blank dice (plastic cubes) from local game shops. Do a Google for blank dice - some even come with stick on labels.

The Letraset transfer type is getting difficult to find these days.
Jim

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Another option is to contact a dice manufacturer like Chessex. They can do small custom jobs at surprisingly affordable rates.

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Custom_Dice_Home.htm

cataquet

Postby cataquet » November 21st, 2007, 9:51 am

Bob, the easiest way is probably your original method. Also, there is no need to get special rub-ons; traditional letraset should do the job (although these are getting hard to find). Spraying with a polyurethane varnish should seal the job and give you permanence.

As Jim points out, blank dice are easy to get. If you have the skills (easily acquired), consider the humble Dremel. You can get an engraving bit, and carve the numbers/letters into the dice yourself. To increase the contrast, just infill the engraving with acrylic in a contrasting color.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 21st, 2007, 3:38 pm

I have no skills of any kind in this area!

cataquet

Postby cataquet » December 4th, 2007, 6:23 am

Bob, the Dremmel is pretty easy to use (like a fat pencil). If you can't do it free hand, then proceed as follows
- Use the PC to design the pictures or letters in the appropriate size. Create a mirror of the design, and then print the design using a laser jet printer. With a warmish iron, iron the pattern onto the die. Some of the toner will transfer over and you'll be left with an image to carve out with the Dremmel.
- Alternatively, print the design (no mirror image) onto acetate. Using a very sharp knife and a big magnifier, cut a stencil. Then it's an easy matter to apply paint onto the stencil to the die. Stencilling is a knack, and I suggest you try on some blocks of wood before you try it on dice.
The key to both these methods is to have the dice held tightly in a vice.

If that is still too much skill, then what you need to do is go to one of those Dungeon & Dragons shop where there is some geeky kid painting fighting warlords on the head of a pin. For very little, they will paint the dice for you! Or, just go to a model shop and they will find someone who will do it for you. You may not have the skills, but surely, you've got the moola :D

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 4th, 2007, 8:16 am

Harold:

I can handle writing a cheque, but that's about it.

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2007, 7:37 am

I've used Chessex before to create custom Perudo sets in the past. The work looks great and they'll email you scans of "test dice" for you before they do your order. They also have a lot of different colors to choose from.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 5th, 2007, 10:32 am

Chessex looks perfect. I think after Xmas I'll give them a try. This is all in aid of some non-transitive dice I want to make.

In my new book THE BAMMO FLIM-FLAM CONglomeration (after Xmas publication date), I have extensive material on all kinds of non-transitive dice games with new material by -Max Maven, Robin Dawes, Harold Cataquet and Tomas Blomberg and I want to give the reader a ready source for having the gaffs made up.

The book is a compilation of all of my Flim-Flam columns but also has a lot of new material.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”