Royal Road on DVD???

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: Royal Road on DVD???

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2006, 11:44 am

It's Ben Salinas on the DVD

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Originally posted by Steven Pellegrino:
It's Ben Salinas on the DVD
Thank you Steven.

Gord

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Originally posted by Steven Pellegrino:
Magic Makers has also produced a DVD set of Modern Coin Magic -
which you can see a demo for and read about here. Another headless body teaching magic.
Steve, Have you SEEN this DVD set or just the online clip? You seem to have an opinion of the offering and I'm wondering how well informed it is.

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2006, 5:12 am

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
Steve, Have you SEEN this DVD set or just the online clip? You seem to have an opinion of the offering and I'm wondering how well informed it is.
Bill,

I'm just judging by the online clip. The online clip looks like the other DVDs MM has produced. However, isn't that the purpose of a demo clip...so you can make a judgement as to whether you want to buy a DVD or not?

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Yeah Steve, it's me. And you get ALL of me, not just the hands (at no extra cost!)

The DVD is true to the book in every way. We cut the stage magic section because of all the archaic gimmicks employed.

The response has been great. I even had several people buy them through my site, because their local shops kept selling out.

Ben S

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Nice work Ben!

I wish they hadn't looped that annoying music over most of the segments... but you did a very credible job with the material.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Originally posted by Ben Salinas:
Yeah Steve, it's me. And you get ALL of me, not just the hands (at no extra cost!)

The DVD is true to the book in every way. We cut the stage magic section because of all the archaic gimmicks employed.

The response has been great. I even had several people buy them through my site, because their local shops kept selling out.

Ben S
I don't know if there is anything wrong with "archaic gimics". You probably cool fool many "magicians" if you used them, since they aren't used as much today.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2006, 5:18 pm

I think it really sucks when it's known in our community that someone is working on a big project, the way it was known that Paul Wilson was working on putting out Royal Road on DVD, and a company like Magic Masters rushes out a product from the same source to compete.
No class.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2006, 5:40 pm

I think a bit of competition is never a bad thing.

And while I'm no particular fan of Magic Makers in general, why not let the market decide?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2006, 9:41 pm

It dissuades people from investing in projects like that in the future when another company just swoops in and kills the market.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I don't necessarily buy into that particular assumption Richard. By that logic, no more than one book on any given specific subject could ever be written and offered to the public within a close time span for fear of "killing" the overall market for books on that subject. There are multiple biographies of Houdini on the market right now (and others on the way no doubt). Should we just pick one author to support and excoriate the others for "killing the market" in Houdini biographies?

In this case, I see no reason why there isn't room for two different takes on the same topic. (Royal Road that is)

I sincerely doubt that anyone waiting for the RP Wilson set is going to be dissuaded from buying it just because there's a competitor on the market.

If the magic makers one is crap, people won't buy it and bad word of mouth will likely dissuade others from purchasing it. If the RP Wilson version is truly superior, I think the market will bear that out with superior sales for it.

Without some hard facts, why should anyone buy into the assumption that a "market is being killed" here?

Terry

Postby Terry » August 27th, 2006, 4:11 am

Chris,

You are trying to argue the free market system with people who aren't interested unless it contains a new double lift.

People who are arguing have no visible vested interest in the 2 projects. If there is an issue, let the 2 companies fight it out. Otherwise, people are just pissin in the wind.

There are people who will buy MM version because they are Wal-Mart shoppers.

Others will buy Wilson's version because they like name brand stuff.

Their money, their decision. Period.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”