Ten Card Poker Deal

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Stefano

Ten Card Poker Deal

Postby Stefano » January 30th, 2003, 2:10 pm

Hello
I am interested in starting a deeply study of the classic effect of Ten Card Poker Deal.
I have some references;
Darwin Ortiz Mexican Poker published in At The Card Table pag. 29, David Solomon Revised Mexican Poker in Solomon's Notes 1997.
I saw also Ricky Jay do a terrific routine in his special on BBC absolutely upstanding for the dramatic presentation.
Also Derren Brown had a great presentation in his first special TV.
If you agree I'd like to ear some suggestions about your favourite version and some comments about your experience in presenting it for laymen.
Thanks
Cheers

cataquet

Re: Ten Card Poker Deal

Postby cataquet » January 30th, 2003, 2:46 pm

Much of this was discussed in a previous topic. See below Poker Deals

Bye for now

Harold

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 1st, 2003, 3:37 pm

Gary Ouellet knocked my socks off (and partially dislodged my underwear) with a demonstration of Tony Binarelli's "Cincinnati Kid Poker Game" (Class Act, 1991). You may want to check it out.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » February 1st, 2003, 3:56 pm

Dick Ryan, popular trade show worker, has one of the finest versions I have ever seen.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 1st, 2003, 5:16 pm

I wrote up Dick's routine for him. I also saw him "kill" with it at a tradeshow in the Big Easy.
Mister Flim-Flam, Bob Farmer, exhaustively covered the Ten-Card Poker Deal in his column in MAGIC several months ago. I think he plans to put all of this into a book...someday...

Onward...

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2003, 5:17 pm

I learnt this excellent effect from Harry Lorayne's Deck-Sterity. He describes his own handling of it at length, taking some eleven pages to do so.

As the thread Harold previously referred to shows, the idea for this effect does not originate with Lorayne himself and in Deck-Sterity he clearly admits that.

HT

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » February 1st, 2003, 6:57 pm

I was also going to suggest looking up Farmer's column. Columns actually as I believe it carried over three issues. Everything you'd ever want to know about the Ten Card Poker deal. I'd like to mention two of my favorites though, Bruce Bernstein's Psych-Out and Ernest Earick's version in his book, "By Forces Unseen."

Frank Yuen

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2003, 7:57 pm

I think it's fascinating how Bob Farmer is applying the principles used in the "Ten-Card Poker Deal" to BlackJack (with Harry the Cat's help) in the first installment of the new series of Flim-Flam in the February issue of Genii.
Wait until you see how ingeniously this develops in the second Flim Flam column in the April issue! I've already read it (lucky me)--be on the look-out!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Stefano

Postby Stefano » February 15th, 2003, 8:53 am

Thanks Gentlemen!
Great job Mr Bob Farmer thank you.
I also found on Internet an interesting approach from spectator point of view http://www.online-visions.com/effects/0302worst.html
Cheers

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » February 17th, 2003, 8:59 am

There's a great version by Tomas Blomberg in an old Magic Magazine (August 1999). It is based on versions by John Bannon and David Solomon. I use it all the time.

Jim

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2006, 1:39 am

Jim,

There seems to be a faulty reference:
In MAGIC August 1999, on p. 76, the effect REVISED MEXICAN POKER is not from Tomas Blomberg, but from Solomon/Bannon.

See also in the in meantime published book by John Bannon "Dear Mr. Fantasy"(2004) the effect "The Power Of Poker" pp. 189- 197.
Reinhard

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2006, 11:30 pm

In that same article (p 77) in that same issue of MAGIC Magazine is the way I perform it, Reinhard. It's just the addition of a pulldown to get an even dealing pattern where the spectator and magician gets every other card.

Also, I spotted a flaw in the version of Revised Mexican Poker that Solomon and Bannon sent me as the spectator could beat the magician at times, so I suggested a change of the stack and it's that exact version that is published on page 76. So I think it's Solomon/Bannon/Blomberg.

Mike Powers has a very very good version of the plot in his latest book Power Plays. Definitely worth checking out.

/Tomas

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2006, 5:36 am

Tomas,

excuse me, I have really missed "The Blomberg Variation" from p. 77.

Reinhard

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 26th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Just curious, but why is the other topic on poker deals closed?

I think this is the link:
http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 6;t=000173

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 26th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Holy cow! That was four years ago and before I was handed the dreaded hammer-o-power. I'm sure there was a reason, and possibly even a good one, but danged if I know!

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Because it was a four-year old thread that should've been closed earlier. I did some maintainence on it and closed it.
If you want to start a new thread on poker deals, GO FOR IT!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”