Out for Play It Straight??

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sean Piper

Out for Play It Straight??

Postby Sean Piper » August 28th, 2003, 10:53 pm

A few nights ago I was performing for some friends, and as I often do, had John Bannon's 'Play It Straight' Triumph set-up and ready to go.

Went into the effect and got to the stage where I ask for the suit of the card.... they said clubs!!! I'd set-up for hearts.

Situation is this... I've now got a spectator holding the 5 of clubs, and a deck with every heart reversed, and in order.

What would you have done to get out of this??

(I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours!!!)

El Mystico

Re: Out for Play It Straight??

Postby El Mystico » September 1st, 2003, 4:02 am

Call them a liar....

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » September 2nd, 2003, 4:03 am

Heheh...
Close!

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » September 2nd, 2003, 6:31 am

I would have said something like, "Oh, okay. Then I'll use the hearts. I don't need these other ones." as I spread the deck to show the deck all face down. Then I'd eliminate a few others and go into David Soloman's version of Steinmeyer's Nine Card problem. At least that's the first thought that came to mind.

Actually the first thought was, "How the heck did you miss a force from a thirteen card stack!?!" :eek:

Frank Yuen

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » September 2nd, 2003, 4:37 pm

Originally posted by Frank Yuen:
Actually the first thought was, "How the heck did you miss a force from a thirteen card stack!?!"
Embarrassing huh!!!!

Keep in mind though I'd just landed in England after 22 hours in Economy. I messed up my Slop Shuffle routine as well, which I've successfully performed for over ten years without fail.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2003, 10:12 am

Maybe there is some way, with some good wording into Alex Elmsleys diamond cut diamond? Or in this case, Heart cut Heart!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 5th, 2003, 4:52 pm

Out #1: Explain that last night you did it and the lady named hearts. Reveal hearts. As you spread do a quick 12 card cull of the clubs and then Le Temps change to switch the two suits.Take their Club, tap the supposed heart packet and show change. Throw in a couple of passes as well. I mean, if you're going to do all that work, you might as well make it challenging, too.

Out #2: Throw the deck at them as you tearfully scream, "This is all just a big joke to you isn't it." (credit:David Parr)

Out #3: Poke them forcefully in both eyes prior to spreading deck for revelation. If they don;t beleive you, let them feel the cards. Tell them if they were Richard Turner they'd know you had done it right.

Out #4: When they ask who Richard Turner is, storm out of the room muttering about having to perform for the uneducated masses. Secretly switch decks for pack with clubs reveresed and in order. When eyesight returns, they will think you are a magical God.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » October 5th, 2003, 9:02 pm

Out #3: Poke them forcefully in both eyes prior to spreading deck for revelation.
But Brad, what if they watch the Stooges and know the block? :eek:

Frank Yuen :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 5th, 2003, 9:31 pm

I would have dropped the deck on the floor, fainted, fell over and gone to sleep, saying "Jet Lag." :sleep:
Stay tooned.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » October 13th, 2003, 1:38 pm

Actually, I'd quickly turn it into a two selection trick. Have them pick another one...
making sure it's a HEART this time!!!

Then take back the club, palm it into your pocket saying "we'll use the club to find your 2nd card"... "oh, you still have your 2nd card", then on with the trick....

Do the traditional Play It Straight then do the card-to-pocket miracle.

This is usually my out if something goes awry and it always seems like a miracle to laymen and there doesn't even need to be a good reason for it being there.

"... and not only are all the cards there from your 2nd choice, The first choice ends up in the pocket..... woo hoo!!!"

Everybody parties and you're a hero once again,
as you cabbage-patch around the room!!!

I've even done this when I completely lost control of a card. I look through the deck, (even ask them if I don't know), cull the selection to the top, palm it off to the pocket, tell them I don't know what went wrong... oh, maybe it's in my pocket.

Seems dumb but it always works.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”