Favourite coin sleight

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: Favourite coin sleight

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2001, 4:06 pm

I also like the Bullet Pass that can be found in the Japan edition of Five X Five.

Spydur

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2001, 6:02 pm

I feel compelled to put in a word in defense of the lowly edge palm! It's my bread and butter (or at least would be, if I actually earned money from magic). It's so fast, both for retention and loading. The edge-palm vanish that Hugard called "Chapender's Method" is my vanish of choice (although I use other methods to keep from burning it out). To protect my angles, I switch edge-palmed coins quickly to the classic palm. Or if I have a coin classic palmed in my right hand, I simply point to the empty left hand, in the process instantaneously revolving the coin into edge-palm position in preparation for loading under a card, or whatever.

Without the edge palm, I'd be far less able to mess with people's heads by way of coins.

Ralph

digit_al

Postby digit_al » July 3rd, 2010, 1:20 am

I'd have to say Larry Jennings' "Wave Vanish" is my current fave. Impromptu, easy, baffling and amazing.

flynn

Postby flynn » July 3rd, 2010, 10:28 pm

Retention vanish. I remember being a new green horn to magic watching a David Roth lecture video being fooled in his routine and explanation doing retention vanishes.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 3rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

flynn wrote:Retention vanish. ...

A great tool for teaching the student some discipline in practice. Though not so easy to use in routine as one might imagine or believe. Also a trap which can train the audience to be looking where you'd prefer they don't a few minutes later.

My favorite is the one that goes by without getting noticed and so manages the method for a trick.

Dowser

Postby Dowser » July 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Who knew a question like "what's your favourite coin sleight?" would generate such great advice and insight?
My favourite example coming from Curtis Kam and worth repeating: "It suggests that most of the popular wisdom about retention vanishes is wrong. A "burn" is not a physical phenomenon that occurs at the eyes, it's a trick of the mind. And I suggest that the ramifications are significant, and cause you to rethink the way you measure the effectiveness of a sleight."
This is good stuff and I will be referring back to this thread often when filling out my arsenal of coin manoeuvres. Thanks

ajax jones

Postby ajax jones » July 5th, 2010, 8:04 pm

French drop

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 5th, 2010, 8:22 pm

You wouldn't make a joke like that if you saw Derek Dingle do the French Drop. It was genuinely deceptive in his hands.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

flynn

Postby flynn » July 6th, 2010, 1:10 am

The French Drop is hard to make look deceptive. I've been practicing the French drop for ages now with coins and small objects and I still cant get it to look natural or convincing. My timing is right and it does fly by lay people but just looks like a French Drop is being used when I do it.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 6th, 2010, 8:06 am

Homer Liwag has a great variation on the French Drop that looks fantastic. It's on the CoinOne DVD.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Andy Galloway

Postby Andy Galloway » July 7th, 2010, 7:44 am

Eric,

Major Lionel H.Branson who wrote several books on conjuring was a pupil of Charles Bertram in 1889 and recalls seeing Betram project a coin from his palm up to three feet in the air to demonstrate how much he practiced. As far as I know, Bertram never used it as a sleight.

Andy.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”