Purchasing Chop Cup Balls

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Purchasing Chop Cup Balls

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 2:59 pm

I had a chop cup that I thought was broken. I could take a set of balls from the same company that manufactured the cup and they would work in one cup and not the other. While packing them to return, I noticed that the balls stuck very well to the outside.

I'm certainly no expert, but I smelled a polarity issue. I tried several sets of balls and some did work - of course, some didn't.

My question is (finally) do you need to know polarity when buying a new set? I've been wanting to try some different things, but this has me stumped.

Thanks.....
Steve

Re: Purchasing Chop Cup Balls

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2007, 10:35 pm

See if you can find a dealer who carries the Uday chop cup balls. They are non-polarized. They work in a wide variety of cups. Otherwise, if you have crochet balls, push the magnet through toward the other side of the ball.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2007, 1:18 am

Thanks a lot. I just tried to order balls fr my chop cup, and its almost impossible from the description on various magic online shops to see if the balls are suitable for a cup.

What do you do when you need a set of 2 identical balls, one gimmicked and one ungimmicked. I simply cannot find a suitable link at a online magick shop to but this.

Any advice will be of great help

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2007, 10:03 pm

What you need to know depends on who made your cup. Polarity is important. So is what actually has the magnet in it. Some chop cup balls have steel shims inside them. Others have magnets.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2007, 10:21 pm

What kind of chop cup is it?

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2007, 2:24 am

Hi Bill and Frank

its a "Dice Cup Chop Cup by Stephane Bourgoin". I have planned a gambling routine using both balls and Dice. I'm not sure whether the cup or the dice has the M...... or both.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2007, 11:26 pm

I went through several of my chop cups and have discovered that many of them are using shimmed balls, and just the magnet in the cup. Uday, Fantasma and Bazar de Magia are among these.

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 11:29 am

I've also seen that cups from the same manufacturer, that do have a magnet in the cup, have different polarities. The two cups that started the thread were both RNT2.

Is one method (shim/magnet) better than the other (magnet/magnet)?

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 3:24 pm

It all depends on the weight of the ball and the strength of the magnet in the cup. If you can use shim/magnet, there is never a polarity problem.

I usually keep about a dozen sets of Uday balls in the collection for orphaned cups.

With the RnT II cups, you can usually adjust the magnet in the ball, as long as it's a bar magnet that is about the same length as the diameter of the ball. Just take the ball that is polarized wrong for the cup you are going to use it in, locate the pole that is giving you trouble and push on that end of the magnet. Drop the ball in the cup and see if it sticks now. If it does, then take a small piece of toothpick and wedge it in between the bar magnet and the side of the hole in the ball, and break it off. That keeps the magnet in position.

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Bill,

Thanks for the advise.

Steve

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Hope this helps.

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 2nd, 2009, 10:06 pm

Try Official Monkey Nutz, they make a set called Chopped Monkey Nutz they solve all the problems you have spoke of...I bought a set and they are awesome.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2009, 10:20 pm

"Mr. Alexander" seems to have an agenda in pushing products sold by one website. I don't suppose he's the owner of the website? Hmmmm...?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 2nd, 2009, 10:37 pm

no I am not I just happened across the topic twice and thought I would share my view on the balls themselves.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”