All Backs Routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

All Backs Routine

Postby Sam Kesler » August 15th, 2005, 1:58 pm

What is your favorite All Backs Routine? I really like Ammar's Hoffzinser All Backs on volume 5 of ETMCM using a small packet. Bruce Cervon Ultra Cervon video vol 2 uses whole deck.

Anyone familar with Vernon's All Backs routine in 3rd edition of Expert Card Technique? I only have 2nd edition. :(

Re: All Backs Routine

Postby Guest » August 15th, 2005, 2:23 pm

My favorite, and please forgive me for not remembering the name, is from Phil Goldstiens Focus. The turning to backs is done in numerical order, which I like. If I'm thinking right, and usually that is rare, there is a version which I liked in Wesley James' Enchantments...yes there is on in there.
Steve V

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 15th, 2005, 3:01 pm

Hi Sam,

This won't be of any use to you for another four or five months, but I just finished writing up an excellent small-packet all-backs routine by a very talented young English magician named Andrew Murray. The routine will likely appear in the January 2006 Magicana.

Until then, I agree with Steve V - Phil Goldstein's "Back Ordered" and "Back Gammon" are both uniquely engaging approaches to the All-Backs plot, and can be found in Focus.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » August 15th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Check out the Complete Works of Derek Dingle

John Carey

Postby John Carey » August 15th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Hi there,

Sam, the Hofzinzer all backs handling is not Ammars.

I believe Harry Riser and Johnny Thompson should get the credit for this handling.

By the way, some magicians think greg wilson invented the double lift after he put out his video!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 15th, 2005, 3:34 pm

For in print versions, I really like "Jack's Backs" from Modus Operandi.

Assuming, of course, that the reprint of that fine book isn't sold out yet...

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 15th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Here are some more routines. They use a full pack if nothing else is noted. All Backs

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 15th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Originally posted by john carey:
By the way, some magicians think greg wilson invented the double lift after he put out his video!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Sorry John but a minor correction here...

Some PEOPLE believe that Greg Wilson invented the double lift.

John Carey

Postby John Carey » August 15th, 2005, 4:35 pm

I stand corrected Bill!

By the way, Larry Jennings all backs from lake tahoe :cool: card magic is a lovely routine

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » August 15th, 2005, 7:03 pm

How about "The New Back Off" from Scams and Fantasies by Darwin Ortiz?

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » August 15th, 2005, 7:06 pm

The Vernon routine in Hugard's Magic Monthly (Vol. 7 I believe) is clean, very effective and also concisely but sufficiently described wih no filler. I have changed get ready a little.
Anthony

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » August 15th, 2005, 9:25 pm

Harry Riser's 'The Practice Deck' - published in "The Feints & Temps of Harry Riser".

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » August 15th, 2005, 9:52 pm

If your objective is "to crush the souls of other magicians", Derek Dingle's 'Triple Color-Changing All Backs Aces' is the way to go.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 15th, 2005, 11:44 pm

I posted an "All Backs" routine in this Genii forum on January 7, 2004 under the Perverse Magic thread under General.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 16th, 2005, 2:36 am

Originally posted by Gerald Deutsch:
I posted an "All Backs" routine in this Genii forum on January 7, 2004 under the Perverse Magic thread under General.
I have seen Gerald do this and its worth looking into...and its free!

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » August 16th, 2005, 9:37 am

There's a very interesting full deck all-backs routine on The Daniel Garcia Project Volume One DVD, as well.

Robert

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » August 16th, 2005, 12:46 pm

Wow, you guys are incredible. I wasn't sure if this plot intrigued anyone else. Thanks to everyone for all the references. This will keep me busy for a few days; I have most of these books on my bookshelves. Guess I was too lazy to search myself. ;)

Thank you, David. I look forward to Andrew's routine in January. BTW, excellent job on Magicana. High marks.

High marks to Denis, too. Thank you for reminding us about your great website. I found Frank Garcia's All Backs in Super Subtle Card Miracles onyour list, a book I got recently at the last Castle swap meet.

And thanks to Gerald for his incredible 65-page (on my printer) archive post(s) on Perverse Magic. No wonder this didn't come up on my All Backs search before I posted! If you missed it, check it out. It's great.

Thanks again to all.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 16th, 2005, 1:27 pm

When I was working on my all backs routine, I came up with the following presentational variation that I feel has real promise. I never finished it, so anyone who likes it is welcome to it.

I started with a deck that was blank on both sides -- because they hadn't been printed yet, etc.. I tried to magically print them, but I could only get backs. So I had a spectator select any card and, with a sharpie, draw the face of a card on it. This was used for an ambitious card routine, which I found extremely effective with an all-blank deck (except for a double-blank card left over from the all blanks section, which comes in very handy when you're doing ambitious card.) For a climax I would print the faces -- the deck switch was covered by the card-to-wallet climax of the ambitious card routine -- leaving me with a regular deck with which I could do whatever other tricks I might want to do.

To me, this structure is more satisfying than the conventional all-backs routines I've seen.

Andrew Murray

Postby Andrew Murray » August 17th, 2005, 3:37 am

Well I am delighted that my All Backs routine is going to be published - finally!! I gave this to RK at least 5 years ago!
David, if you'd like, I have a great addition to this routine which you might like to publish in conjunction with the original which takes the routine a little further!
Please let me know. BTW, great to hang out with you at FFFF this year! :)

Andrew
THE MAGIC CIRCLE CLOSE-UP MAGICIAN OF THE YEAR 2004

John Carey

Postby John Carey » August 17th, 2005, 4:02 am

GO CHAMP GO!!!!! :) :p :D

ALL THE BEST MATE

JOHN

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 18th, 2005, 7:50 am

Hi Andrew,

I'll definitely e-mail you regarding the amended handling. Apart from that, when I took over as editor of Magicana last May, Richard Kaufman sent me hundreds of items he had collected and/or were sent to him over the past five or six years, but Magicana was only appearing sporadically, so the backlog became enormous. Not all of the items will be usable for a variety of reasons (some have since been published elsewhere, some just don't fit the direction Magicana is taking), but the vast majority of the contributions are very good to excellent. I haven't even begun to work my way through what I already have on hand, and that's to say nothing of the material Richard is still sitting on. The order in which the items will appear is now dictated mostly by balance-of-content issues, thus it's entirely possible that a trick Richard picked up five years ago (e.g., Andrew's All-Backs) will be published alongside something I just grabbed at Fechter's (e.g., Reed McClintock's Matrix variations).
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Andrew Murray

Postby Andrew Murray » August 20th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Hi David,

You can email me at: magic@andrewmurray.biz

If you want to send me the write-up you've done (?)I will add the extra bit in where appropriate and you can then edit it as appropriate for your column.

Speak soon.

Andrew

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 20th, 2005, 7:35 pm

I had an interesting presentation for Vernon's All Backs in CardWorks called "The Inside Out Deck." It gave some good logic and a fun presentation to what happens.

The Dingle routine is the first one to incorporate a selected card into the precedings. Unfortunately the excellent patter he had for it is not in The Complete Works because he devised it later.

And, don't forget Alex Elmsley's version in the Minch books--cutting to the four Aces is a good way to handle the routine.

The Quick 3-Way routine that's become well known is actually Harry Riser's handling of Marlo's shorter routine which adds the All Backs sequence. Johnny Thompson's name became linked with it when Karl Fulves mistakenly published it under Thompson's name in Epilogue.

Finally, my favorite is still Vernon's original handling which I've tweaked slightly for my own use. Eventually I'll publish it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

justin

Postby justin » August 20th, 2005, 9:05 pm

Ok, I have seen (like many of you) a ton of all backs routines. But I have to say that the one that I love to death right now is By daniel garcia called satisfaction gauranteed. It is on his new dvds..great stuff.
Justin Miller

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 21st, 2005, 4:44 am

Jerry Sadowitz has a good no-gaff routine [also using the cutting the aces idea by Elmsley] in The Crimp no.20, "The Beast With Two Backs".

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » August 21st, 2005, 9:14 pm

I still do the all backs routine out of "Thanks to Pepys" by Bob Read. Never saw a need to learn another...

doc
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 22nd, 2005, 10:45 am

Originally posted by doceason:
I still do the all backs routine out of "Thanks to Pepys" by Bob Read. Never saw a need to learn another...

doc
where is it published? Is it on one of your dvd's?

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » August 22nd, 2005, 11:52 am

"Thanks to Pepys" is a collection of tricks by Bob Read. An excellent book; the name of the trick is "All Backs and Additions".
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » August 23rd, 2005, 1:35 am

In the expert card technique, 3rd edition Hugaard and Braue, I can see that Vernons All Bakcs are described. I sthat the original handling or can I find it in other Vernon books like "ultimate card secrets" , the Chronicles etc??

450 A Lesson In Card Handling, by DAI VERNON
450 The De Kolta Change
451 Tips on Changes
453 Multiple Card Control
455 Hand-to-Hand Card Transfer
457 The Perigrinating Pip
459 The All Backs
463 Details of Handling
464 Insertion of the Cards

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » August 23rd, 2005, 11:35 am

The Vernon routine in Hugard's Magic Monthly (Vol. 7 I believe) is clean, very effective and also concisely but sufficiently described wih no filler. I have changed get ready a little.
As I do not have ECT 3rd edition, I am assuming the routine Anthony refers to above in Hugard's is the same. This may be sacrilegious, but I went back to Cardworks (page 51)and much prefer "The Inside Out Deck." Thank you, Richard!

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 23rd, 2005, 11:46 am

Originally posted by Bill Wheeler:
"Thanks to Pepys" is a collection of tricks by Bob Read. An excellent book; the name of the trick is "All Backs and Additions".
I misread the post. Thought that was the name of the trick. Whoops!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 28th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Anyone comfortable doing a classic force of a double backed card to start that trick?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Jonathan, that sounds like a great idea. And it would give you terrific misdirection for a Half Pass!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 1st, 2017, 3:03 am

Sam Kesler wrote:
As I do not have ECT 3rd edition, I am assuming the routine Anthony refers to above in Hugard's is the same. This may be sacrilegious, but I went back to Cardworks (page 51)and much prefer "The Inside Out Deck." Thank you, Richard!

In HMM, Vol. 7, Vol. 7, no 1, June 49, page 552, Jean Hugard writes :
"(Ed. note. Some ten or twelve years ago I marketed a trick under this title. Briefly, the effect was that a card, freely selected, was noted, returned to the pack and the pack shuffled. To find the card the performer turned the deck face upwards but there were no faces-- only backs showed. No matter where the cards were cut or how they were spread backs only were seen, the faces had disappeared. Finally, a magic woyd, the faces reappeared, with one card reversed. 0x1 turning this card it proved to be the chosen card. Mr. Vernon liked the effect and did some work on it, devising his own methods but at that time the use of double backed cards was a deep, dark secret, known only to a select few. Mr. Vernon feared that the trick might give other magicians ideas and therefore put it aside.
Recently, since that objection no longer holds, double-backed cards being common property, he has revived the trick. The method that follows is Mr. Vernon's, slightly simplified to bring it within the reach of all)."

In ECT, 3rd edition, 1950, Vernon's routine "The All Backs" begins with "Second and fourth cards from the top are placed face up in the deck" while Hugard's routine begins with "secretly reverse the bottom card and the second card from the top"

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 1st, 2017, 5:13 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Anyone comfortable doing a classic force of a double backed card to start that trick?

Yes, I've been doing that for the past three years. If I miss the force, I do a different trick. My thinking was, "What better way to convince a spectator that all the cards are 'all backs' than to give them one." And going with Vernon's thinking from ECT, I go through the deck to check myself all the cards are 'backs', not to prove it to the spectators, which is the big mistake in practically every version I've seen. Vernon's thoughts on the psychology of the trick is well worth considering.

performer

Postby performer » March 1st, 2017, 9:55 am

I do this trick and get fantastic reaction from it. I like to work impromptu and can't be bothered with carrying a double backed card around with me just for one trick. And besides it isn't necessary anyway. I use the version exactly as described in Expert Card Technique and have not explored other methods and have no interest in doing so on the grounds of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". However, I present it with one tiny little extra detail that I came up with. It is a presentational detail that makes all the difference. 14 little words. I was about to reveal it in this post but at the last minute I am sensing that I shouldn't. There tends to be little appreciation for my genius in these matters so I shall keep it to myself for the moment.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2017, 10:31 am

I published the Jean Hugard version in Genii many many years ago, 1999 or 2000.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 1st, 2017, 11:08 am

In Genii, Vol. 62, no 2, february 1999, page 36.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2017, 11:20 am

Merci bien!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2017, 12:57 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Anyone comfortable doing a classic force of a double backed card to start that trick?

Very cool, JR---an example of a perfect Deutsch Perverse Magic trick.

I've always liked the Dingle routine (although when I bought RK's book on Dingle as a kid, I was super frustrated initially since that routine uses the Ovette Master Move, and it wasn't described. This was pre-Internet, so I had to do some old school digging to eventually find the move in print. That experience inspired me to go through every book I owned at the time to write an index listing all the sleights and where to find them. It turned out to be a great learning experience. Today, Google is certainly more efficient, but I'm kind of glad it wasn't around then).

Return to “Close-Up Magic”