La Magia de Ascanio: Any Word on Publication?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jon Elion

La Magia de Ascanio: Any Word on Publication?

Postby Jon Elion » July 17th, 2004, 6:21 am

In understand that the 3-volume set "La Magia de Ascanio" written by Jesus Etcheverry is being translated into English and set for publication sometime soon. Does anyone have any more information about this (who will be the publisher, when is it expected to be available)?

Re: La Magia de Ascanio: Any Word on Publication?

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2004, 6:42 am

I visited Paginas in Madrid a few weeks back. The lady who runs the show told me November.

I saw Rafael Benatar later the same day and he said he had only translated the first book, the theory book. He didn't know whether the others were being done by someone else.

I ended up buying "Ascanio's Favorites" in Spanish, so now I just need to get a dictionary...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 17th, 2004, 2:40 pm

Why a dictionary? Just find an amigo, :rolleyes: or amiga, to read it to you :cool:
Stay tooned.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 18th, 2004, 5:59 am

Volume 1 was finished, at least my part, several months ago. Since the editor doesnt speak English, I need to look at the typeset text once again, just in case. We have a meeting next week to discuss the other two volumes, and maybe the knife book.

Stefan Sprenger

Postby Stefan Sprenger » July 21st, 2004, 3:26 am

Hi Rafael,

thats great news!!! While we are at it, are there any news on the Carroll Books, will the also be republished in english?

Greetings from Frankfurt Germany

Stefan

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 21st, 2004, 8:09 pm

Eventually, I guess, but I dont think there are immediate plans. The two Spanish books were beautifully redone, together in one volume, with some interesting additions, including a list of his most typical one-liners.

Luis

Postby Luis » July 25th, 2004, 12:30 am

Mr. Benatar:

The translation will be published by Laura Aviles or by someone else?

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 26th, 2004, 9:43 am

Laura Aviles, from Paginas (www.librosdemagia.com), has the rights to the Carroll books but I haven't heard about plans to reprint in English.
She's also the one who would publish the Ascanio books in English - vol. 1 probably this year.
The Tamariz Memorized deck book is being sent to the printers and will be published by Stephen Minch, Hermetic Press

Barajista

Postby Barajista » July 27th, 2004, 9:06 am

Hi Rafael,
I'm just curious to know about the Ascanio book if the content is the same as the Spanish text or has material been added? I was planning on buying the Spanish version but know that sometimes translations are also updated to include other material. Also I have the same curiousity about the Tamariz book on the memorized deck. Thanks!

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 29th, 2004, 6:35 am

In Ascanio's book there will be no major differences. The Mnemonica book, however, has been thoroughly revised and cross-referenced by the editor and the translator. Spanish speakers that are seriously interested and who own the original will be tempted to buy the translation. A minor spelling item or two had to be left out because they couldn't be made to work in English. A handful of substantial tricks, on the other hand, were adapted and will save you a lot of work if you perform them in English.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”