The Trick with the Strongest Reaction from Laymen

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
John M. Dale

Re: The Trick with the Strongest Reaction from Laymen

Postby John M. Dale » December 29th, 2017, 7:03 pm

In my limited experience, my three phase "Crazyman's Handcuffs" (based on the write up in the Ammar book with the last phase having the band on the spec's hands) pretty much always kills and gets me the most requests to show their friends.

JMD

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 29th, 2017, 7:39 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:I like the view that the best tricks give the spectators a great story to tell their friends: "Then we did this, and that happened!"

OOTW, perhaps?

What better story for a spectator to tell his friends?

Yes.

Or "And then he threw the deck of cards upwards, off the edge of the boat, and my card stuck to the bridge overhead..." :)

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 29th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:I like the view that the best tricks give the spectators a great story to tell their friends: "Then we did this, and that happened!"

OOTW, perhaps?

Yes.

Or "And then he threw the deck of cards upwards, off the edge of the boat, and my card stuck to the bridge overhead..." :)

LOL Jack, I would have loved it if she could tell that story, and alas, if I, myself, could tell it...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 30th, 2017, 1:24 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:

OOTW, perhaps?

Obviously any trick can be made to be boring; however, am I the only person who finds the original OOTW routine as published originally is a bit lengthy for the typical modern audience? I think the various more streamlined versions work better for me unless I have a very attentive informal group of friends to perform for.

(I think Armstrong's, Daryl's, Weber's, and Wagner's versions are my favorites).

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 30th, 2017, 1:47 am

The first phase of John Mendoza's "Red/Black Shuffle Routine" from "My Best" DVD series, Volume 1, is a very streamlined OOTW. The red and black leader or guide cards are dispensed with all together, much less having to switch them around in the middle of the routine. It is brilliant! Spectator still does the dealing. The only version I use.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 30th, 2017, 10:58 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Does anyone else remember a sponge ball routine called "Clones"? It began with a clever production of the "clone" (orange sponge ball with eyes and red nose) from an eye dropper. It was goofy, but at least the theme of clones made sense with the big mutliball production at the end.

Patrick Martin marketed CLONES

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 30th, 2017, 11:36 pm

The Sacks dice routine has never failed to garner great reactions. The dice are kosher and can be examined afterwards. Once you get it down pat, it will stay with you for a lifetime. And the pocket space is minimal.

Daryl's packet version of OOTW is called Out of This Hemisphere.

performer

Postby performer » December 31st, 2017, 12:35 am

Not everyone likes the Dr Sack Dice Trick. I certainly do but alas James Munton of Texas doesn't. Here is the evidence. Some of it might amuse you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30872

And here is my favorite magician doing the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRvT_6msjcs

Return to “Close-Up Magic”