At the table dinner table - displaying the cards.

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jonathan Townsend

At the table dinner table - displaying the cards.

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2017, 9:02 am

Hi folks,

Where can I find some discussion of how to adapt/use card sleights for occasions where the audience is directly across rather than looking down on the cards? I 've been toying with a variation of Bob Farmer's Spiritu count and would prefer not to reinvent some classic wheels. Yup, now the cards are at chest level and the objective is to display things for the audience yet get the sleights working.

@BobFarmer, after the count of two the counting packet can be thumb clipped - and levered up to go behind the counted incoming cards...

Thanks in advance,

JonT
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Re: At the table dinner table - displaying the cards.

Postby performer » September 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Most if not all of the card sleights I do can be done at the dinner or in fact any kind of table. Offhand I can't think of any that can't. It has never even crossed my mind.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Mark, folks -
There's a chest-height version of Elmsley's count in print. The item as usually cited is the trick with tombstone cards. The cards are held faces-out toward the audience.
Where are the basic logistics (ease of view, actions which read correctly from audience view ...) of displaying cards to the audience explored in our literature?

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » September 14th, 2017, 9:31 am

Jonathan, you're asking for references to executing various card techniques with the cards held vertically, right? I'm also interested in that approach and would appreciate any references.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » September 14th, 2017, 9:53 am

Guy Hollingworth has a stand-up version of Waving the Aces in "Drawing Room Deceptions" with a discussion about performing "vertically" in stand-up situations.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 14th, 2017, 10:49 am

Tom Frame wrote:Jonathan, you're asking for references to executing various card techniques with the cards held vertically, right? I'm also interested in that approach and would appreciate any references.

I'm looking at that count by Farmer and some items which look as if they are done that way in Counthesaurus ...

Things are different when the audience is not at the coffee table / theater angle view. Wrist breaks, economy of motion, consistency...

To count "reversed" as if a bottom deal action is an interesting new habit. As is adopting a palm out overhand grip (think Biddle grip meets the tourniquet) to hold the cards as they're transferred.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”