BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol 1

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
HarryLorayne

BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol 1

Postby HarryLorayne » May 16th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Interesting - BEST OF FRIENDS, Volume 1 has been out of print for decades. So - I'm going through some old cartons in my basement and - MAGIC! - I find a few copies of the 2001 edition of BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol. 1. First printing was 1982. These 2001 editions are still in their original shrink wrap. $85.00 plus p/h (in U.S.A.) gets you a copy. Autographed on request. Email me at harrylorayne@earthlink.net with any questions at all. Best - HL.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol 1

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Damn good book!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 16th, 2017, 6:55 pm

i consider this to have been my first 'real' magic book. It was a little over my head (being in 7th grade at the time) but i enjoyed the challenge of trying to find out what an elmsley count was, or a faro shuffle, and then the next step of learning how to do them. There is a lovely little card case penetration effect by taytelbaum i still do every now and then. But i think what ended up being most valuable was the introduction to so many other magicians whose work i would automatically become interested in having had Harry's introduction to them.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Seventh grade?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » May 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm

There is a great description of Dr. Krenzel's handling of the top change. Worth the price of this book.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 16th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Seventh grade?

I've got really fond memories of seventh grade.

Three happiest years of my life!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 17th, 2017, 12:14 pm

yep, seventh grade. I got it the same year i got the tarbell course. BoF was way over my head for the most part, but i tried to work through everything that had moves either described or that i already knew. i used the Tarr books to help figure out some of the basics i didn't already know. Couldn't do any of tne Faro related stuff as i was able to learn WHAT it was but didn't have a source which actually taught it. i remember doing Minch's Aces over TeaKettle a bit at that time. I did the Taytelbaum trick often. There were several others.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 17th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Good for you, Brad! I was going through Dingle's Deceptions when I was in 7th grade. I didn't know better, so I just learned the routines. It's a tribute to how clearly Mr. Lorayne writes--I always felt like he made the tough things sound like you could actually do them, and he took the time to describe most sleights (none of this "use your favorite method stuff"). BOF is a great book, and that offer is a steal!

[PS: I actually still think it was worthwhile to go through books that were too tough for me at the time (Heirophant and Expert Card Technique come to mind). It's fun to go back discover things I can understand and do now that at first, seemed insurmountable. I am still stymied, however, by Barry Price's publications--he must've had mad chops. I find a lot of Andrew Wimhurst's material difficult as well. )

Return to “Close-Up Magic”