DEREK DINGLE'S Slow Motion McDonald's Aces

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
HocoPoco

DEREK DINGLE'S Slow Motion McDonald's Aces

Postby HocoPoco » April 30th, 2017, 7:41 am

I recently re-found Derek Dingle's Slow Motion McDonald's Aces, page 94, Kaufman, The Complete Works of Derek Dingle.

Utilizes 2 double faced aces.
    The initial ace(s) switch is ultra clean.
    The laydown is neat.
    The aces individually vanish (nicely done) and are shown to exchange with a card in the leader aces (AS) packet, one-at-a-time.
    Simply 2 Vernon Transfer Moves (Dingle sets these up very nicely) to a clean ending.

Thoughts?

Brad Jeffers

Re: DEREK DINGLE'S Slow Motion McDonald's Aces

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 30th, 2017, 1:26 pm

I believe that the addition of the "slow motion" aspect to an ace assembly does nothing to enhance the effect from a layman's point of view.
It's an unnecessary embellishment.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Derek's handling was great to watch him perform. I think it's one of the best.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 30th, 2017, 3:53 pm

I may be one of the few magicians who has never learned or performed McDonald's Aces, although I absolutely do not question those who testify that the effect is an absolute BLOCKBUSTER. I was wondering whether anyone (1) Has ever had the spectator ask to examine the cards or express skepticism about them? and (2) What kinds of plots or story lines do any of our members here use that go beyond explanatory patter along the lines of "Look, the ace has vanished" and ultimately, "The aces have all disappeared from their piles and reappeared all together over here." I am not in any way criticizing the effect, just curious and trying to evaluate whether I want to perform it, as I generally (not always) avoid g _ f _ e _ cards.

HocoPoco

Postby HocoPoco » April 30th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I agree with Mr. Kaufman. Run through it a couple of times. It is a very satisfying effect that is fun to perform.

Depending upon the audience, this could potentially have "more" impact. A lot of it has to do with the story. I'm thinking along the lines of Vernon's "Cutting the Aces"...

Derek once taught me an impromptu ace assembly, that--if I remember correctly--utilized a Vernon Transfer and a card dropped from the bottom of one packet to another. Similar moves to Sawa's "Strolling Cow Progressive Aces", however, it was an assembly, not a progression.

It may have been a Steve Freeman handling? Anyone familiar with this?

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » May 3rd, 2017, 10:45 am

For non-gaffs, and even with different color backs, see Ken Krenzel's Blues Progression from Ingenuities from Minch's Hermetic Press. As for people asking about or wanting to touch or examine the cards with McDonald's, it is interesting to note that you are less safe in a true closeup (and impromptu?) setting, and actually more safe in a real performance. In a real performance you can just ignore the person and move on to the next 'piece' in the show. Some people clean up into a Himber style wallet in case someone insists on looking at the cards, and in the 'other side' you have a regular set. But you'd only use this in an emergency but if you have a Himber wallet, why not?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2017, 2:09 pm

It is just as simple to switch the double-faced cards out during a trick as it is to switch them in.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » May 3rd, 2017, 2:54 pm

I don't particularly like using gaffed cards either but this trick is so bloody strong I have to make an exception. It really is no problem loading the cards onto the deck whenever you want to. I have the three cards loose in my pocket and do other tricks galore until I need the cards in question. Then I simply load the cards in connection with another trick. If I do three cards across for example when the spectator counts the cards on the table everyone is watching him or her and not me. So I simply put the deck in my pocket add the cards and take the deck out again. Completely blatant but if you don't have a brass neck you cannot be a good magician. And nobody is watching you anyway since they are watching the cards being counted on the table.

I will often do "Now You See It" from the Royal Road to Card Magic and for this you only need four or five cards for the finish. So you simply put the remaining cards in your pocket and when you have finished the trick bring them out again with the loaded cards. In fact there are a whole bunch of tricks where you only use a few of the cards in the deck. Oil and Water is another one. While you are doing it you put the rest of the deck away and bring it out again when the trick is over.

As for getting rid of the cards that is not a problem either. I am a great believer in the Al Baker dictum of "Don't run when nobody is chasing you" so there is probably no need to do anything. I do know that not even once is the decades I have been doing this has anyone ever grabbed the cards to look at the backs of them. However, because I feel guilty and self conscious that they are there I do get rid of them but I really don't need to and it is about time I got rid of that complex. However, it is too late for me at my advanced age and I can't be bothered. So what I do when everybody is busy being astonished is simply gather up the cards, palm away the aces and shove them back in my pocket when nobody is looking. It is a silly procedure and quite unnecessary and I really shouldn't bother.

If anyone has seen that video of me doing close up magic about a thousand years ago or so they will see me perform the trick in action. Being incompetent I found I loaded the cards the wrong way round so I had to fiddle about under the table to get them the right way up but nobody noticed a thing because it was done in the preceding trick which had nothing to do with MacDonald's Aces.

James Munton put the video together and inserted intermittent pictures of cats for some unearthly reason. He explained to me that it was for marketing reasons on the basis that studies have shown that more people watch advertisements and videos if cats happen to be in them. Of course this was a load of catswallop but I am afraid Munton is a bit odd sometimes. Perhaps they were meant as misdirection--I have no idea.

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » May 3rd, 2017, 7:26 pm

webbmaster wrote:For non-gaffs, and even with different color backs, see Ken Krenzel's Blues Progression from Ingenuities from Minch's Hermetic Press...

HHHhhmmmm... I believe that the correct reference would be Blues Progression in David Regal's Close-Up & Personal, page 187. David credits Ken Krenzel for the plot (Krenzel's Progressive Aces). David presents a clear description and well-photographed write-up.

Magicpedia provides this information: Ken Krenzel first presented the problem in Epilogue no 16, November 1972, page 146 then published one of his methods in a one-man issue of Epilogue (Special Issue no 2, page 253, 1975, Progressive Aces).

This was also written up as The Multiple Cop Progressive Aces in Harry Lorayne's book The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”