Study aids

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Study aids

Postby webbmaster » April 19th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Over the weekend I was thinking about how much I learned from the Kaufman and Greenberg books, and now the Kaufman and Company books. But, what I remembered most was how I had two new clean bricks that I'd use to hold the book open so it wouldn't close up when I had two coins palmed and a desk with three different breaks in it.

The real revelation was when doing coin tricks from the books, and sometimes it would mention putting a coin in the spectator's left hand or sometimes their right hand, etc. I had trouble visualizing this in the beginning so I came up with this study aid. I'd put two gloves, a left and a right of course, on the table to represent real hands of real spectators. "Close their fingers around the coin" and "turn their hand over" etc., I could practice with the gloves and have a better 'visual' of working with a spectator's hands.

Furthermore, in those early days I needed all the real props to work through the trick at hand. These many days later I can just visualize a lot in my head and don't really need the real objects in hand. Doesn't happen overnight.

Spellbinder

Re: Study aids

Postby Spellbinder » April 21st, 2017, 1:02 pm

That reminds me of my own study habits of past years. It also reminded me of the wonderful illustrations contained in "The Award-Winning Rope Magic of Francis Tabary" with illustrations by Jeff. The illustrations are the clearest and most complete I have ever seen in any magic book. Most of them show the illustration from both the performer's view and the view of the audience, which is extremely helpful. I wish I had time and skill to draw illustrations like that for my own e-Book instructions, but the most I can do is try to provide appropriate photographs from either the performer's view or the audience view, if not always both together. Still, Tabary's book has made me aware of how important good illustrations and photographs are to explaining complex magic moves.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 23rd, 2017, 4:55 am

I recently bought one of these. They are pretty useful:

https://bookbones.myshopify.com/

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » April 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

My favorite magic illustrator is Richard Kaufman.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”