The Little Hand Ripoff

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Roger M.

Re: The Little Hand Ripoff

Postby Roger M. » March 21st, 2017, 7:27 pm

RevConfused wrote:
I have to say that Dave is one of the most genuine and generous people I have met in the magic scene.

He also seems quite willing to rip off an effect not of his own creation, and then stall giving credit or recompense until he's "outed" in one of the two large magic forums in the United States.

.......so yeah, he's that too.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 21st, 2017, 8:04 pm

If people get crap both before and after amending a troublesome situation, then there's little impetus to agree to any mediation.
Let's celebrate the commendable outcome instead.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2017, 8:32 pm

I'm still waiting for an apology for being called a "thief."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 21st, 2017, 8:39 pm

Tom Stone wrote:If people get crap both before and after amending a troublesome situation, then there's little impetus to agree to any mediation.
Let's celebrate the commendable outcome instead.

In general I agree Tom, however the poster I responded to could spare us the suggestion that we don't really understand how kind and generous the thief actually is, but he also goes one step further to attempt to further legitimize calling RK a "thief".

So, yeah ... my post was a response to a completely misplaced effort to blame the victim(s), and exonerate the thief.
Last edited by Roger M. on March 21st, 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

performer

Postby performer » March 21st, 2017, 9:42 pm

I still remember visiting Murray the famous escapologist in hospital and when he saw me he said, "it's good to see this thief here" I took it as a wonderful compliment and I treasure it to this day.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 21st, 2017, 11:30 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Mr. Bonsall has already marketed that classy item with the extended middle finger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGtun8T-Ow

Oh [censored]. I totally want one of those.

Bob, please release your version of the little birdie... It can be right handed.

BillMorrison

Postby BillMorrison » March 22nd, 2017, 1:33 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm still waiting for an apology for being called a "thief."

I'm sorry I called you a thief.

DaveBonsall
Favorite Magician: xxx

Postby DaveBonsall » March 22nd, 2017, 5:45 am

Richard,

Thank you kindly for paying for the Bonsalopes, as mentioned in our private emails, I completely understood that this was an oversight by you and as I had pretty much worshipped the ground you walked on for three decades, chasing you for payment was the last thing I was going to do, I was honoured that you'd shown and interest in them in the first place.

But as also mentioned, when someone starts to throw their weight around and getting involved with what should have been a private issue between Bob and I, and then proceeds to spread the issue on other forums and therefore bring my name and my company's name into disrepute, this REALLY gets my heckles up and I will fight back! It's the former Royal Marine in me, I don't take sh*t from anyone! Plus your 'ironic' comment on the video, (which ironically was a spoof of actual footage previously online of people stealing from us at a convention) was totally uncalled for and could be considered a form of bullying, which I will not tolerate and should not happen in our art!

So I apologise sincerely for the accusations of theft Richard, when I knew it was most likely just an oversight, but please think of the consequences of your actions in the future, words can be a powerful weapon and wars have been fought over them.

Sincerest

Dave Bonsall

P.S. - Philippe Billot - Yes, I am totally aware what Bonsalope's translates to in French, which is probably why we sell more there than in any other country! :-)

DaveBonsall

Postby DaveBonsall » March 22nd, 2017, 5:48 am

Roger M. wrote:
RevConfused wrote:
I have to say that Dave is one of the most genuine and generous people I have met in the magic scene.

He also seems quite willing to rip off an effect not of his own creation, and then stall giving credit or recompense until he's "outed" in one of the two large magic forums in the United States.

.......so yeah, he's that too.

Roger, you should not judge without knowing the full story! Why so keen on putting others down and getting involved in other peoples disputes, there are far better things to be doing with your time.

DaveBonsall

Postby DaveBonsall » March 22nd, 2017, 5:49 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm still waiting for an apology for being called a "thief."

We are 8 hours ahead of you Richard! I was in bed!

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm

DaveBonsall wrote:
Roger, you should not judge without knowing the full story! Why so keen on putting others down and getting involved in other peoples disputes, there are far better things to be doing with your time.

Ethical advice from you seems a tad misplaced, but I'm glad you came clean.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2017, 7:21 pm

I'm not going to defend Dave, particularly in light of his initial reaction to Bob Farmer's assertion of IP.

That said, since this item has been ripped off by the Chinese (whose concern for Intellectual Property can be summed up by the expression "Huh?") and can be found in so many places, it is possible to imagine that Dave saw this and, completely unaware that the idea actually originated with an individual who protects his Intellectual Property, just thought he would make his own version of better design.

A person's true character is tested when he is faced with the fact that he has done something wrong ... what does he do then" Dave's initial reaction was not promising. His reaction regarding my assisting Bob was even less promising. However, in the end, he came to understand (or was led to understand) what the proper course of action would be and he followed it. For that he is to be commended.

And I believe that ends this discussion.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 23rd, 2017, 7:29 am

Agreed. The matter is closed.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”