Slydini Coins Thru Tsble using coin clip.

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
performer

Slydini Coins Thru Tsble using coin clip.

Postby performer » July 24th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I am in a state of great delight that yester day I invented s methof of doing this trick using Slydini's exact methods but WITHOUT the clip!

I just tried it on laymen and the reaction wss terrific.

I saw a rare clip on think Ibut someone snspped it up before me. I resisted the temptstion to put a hex on him and invented this instead . A blessing un disguise because I believe it is superior to the Slydini method.. I think I will keep it to myself for the moment so I can admire the fruits of my own genius.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: Slydini Coins Thru Tsble using coin clip.

Postby I.M. Magician » July 24th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Thanks for sharing! :roll:

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2016, 4:20 pm

I was not sharing. I was bragging!

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 24th, 2016, 9:49 pm

I've been a Slydini student and he taught me a number of "Coins Thru The Table" routines and none of them used a clip.

See the various Slydini books where these are published.

(I've posted some comedy Perverse Through the Table ideas on this forum on the Perverse Magic thread on April 2, 2006.)

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 9:58 am

In the Slydini book by Ganson there is a whole chapter devoted to Slydini's coin clip method of coins through table and I believe Lou Tannen actually put the clip out on the market. I suspect Slydini invented it for marketing purposes because it is well known that magicians will buy anything. I was once informed by a wicked old grafter who had once been a magician, "Magicians will buy anything. If you market a gold plated thumb tip they will purchase it just because it is gold plated"> I have found this to be true.

However, it is true that I never saw Slydini use it in any of the videos I saw of him at work or on the numerous times I saw him on British television. Still, if there was a chapter in his classic book on the subject I assume it was in his repertoire at some point.

Anyway, who wants to carry a bloody clip around with them? I followed Slydini's directions exactly except for one tiny thing. And that tiny thing which only takes one second exactly means you don't have to use the bloody clip in the first place.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 25th, 2016, 12:09 pm

I remember reading that too Mark. And I bought a Slydini coin clip from Tannens.. If I remember correctly it did work well with that routine.

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Well, the difference was that unlike his other coins through table routines that he did, this was the only one where he put all the six coins in one hand rather than 3 in each hand. I have managed perfectly well through the decades with these standard methods and in fact I can do pretty well most Slydini variations of this trick. However, I never got around to this one simply because it needed a clip and I never had access to one. However, a clip came up for sale in my local magic shop and I resolved to purchase it but alas i was too late and someone got there before me. So I simply used my brain and tried to figure out a way of doing it without the clip and lo and behold I succeeded! I tried it out a few times yesterday on laymen and the reaction was great! I could tell they were baffled.

And the ironic thing is that I am following the Slydini directions for this variation precisely except for one tiny thing which only takes one second to do.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 25th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Mark--I'm still baffled by your ability to perform this particular routine without the clip. Clearly, without the clip the coins will spill and create a shower of clinking noises as they hit your lap. Unless you are just leaving the stack on the table near your left elbow after you lift your left hand to show that the coins have vanished and this is the repeat version with the extra stack of coins already on your lap.

When your right hand comes above the tabletop to drop the coins onto the table, the noise should mask the disposal of the other six coins clinking downward.

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2016, 9:48 pm

I am glad you are baffled. Perhaps I can create a legendary story about my method like the any card at any number trick. Alas I am afraid that is unlikely as the second you saw me do it you would know the method immediately. But no. I do not cover anything with my left elbow.

With regard to the repeat version that would be even more hassle as using a clip as you would have to find 6 more coins to carry about with you in a specific pocket. I can't be bothered. And in any event I would not be able to do the repeat version without a clip. I did come up with a repeat version though with the same 6 coins. I only showed it once but the reaction was not quite as good. Still I will try it out a bit more.

While I am at it I recently came across a very agreeable version by Ross Bertram in one of the Bertram books. Three in each hand but they don't have to be identical coins. There is one moderately difficult move but I was lucky to know it already and have done it for decades. I do it when giving change to people when working the svengali deck.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 25th, 2016, 10:17 pm

performer wrote:And in any event I would not be able to do the repeat version without a clip.

You can do the repeat version without the clip. I already described the method. I just don't see how it's possible in the 1st version without the clip.

performer

Postby performer » July 26th, 2016, 7:26 am

As David Berglas says, "Nothing is impossible!" Mind you, I think he was wrong!

performer

Postby performer » July 26th, 2016, 10:23 am

I think if I was going to repeat the trick I would use the same six coins rather than having another extra six which I think is far too much trouble. I would use the Ross Bertram method previously mentioned if I were to repeat the trick.

I do all the other Slydini variations in sequence but I would prefer to do this on a separate occasion.

performer

Postby performer » December 15th, 2016, 12:15 pm

I have decided to give away the secret of doing the Slydini coin clip method without a clip. The reason for my unparalleled generosity is I have now invented a further improvement which has now rendered my original method redundant. And better still I can repeat the effect in a very novel way. I may be persuaded to reveal my new improvement if people get down on their knees and beg for it. I do think it is worth begging for.

However, let me start with the original method first. This is what you do. When you lap the coins you simply bang the table with the other hand. That covers the clinking noise. Since the coins may wander around on your lap and be tricky to find you simply cover the delay by straining to push the coins through the soft spot and cover the delay that was.

There. Simple wasn't it? However, my new improvement on this is somewhat on the spectacular side and it involves something that no other coins through the table has ever considered.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”