Whose idea is this?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
JHostler

Whose idea is this?

Postby JHostler » June 5th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Something so simple couldn't possibly be new, so whose concept did I just resurrect?

There exists a class of optical illusions wherein an image rotated 90 or 180 degrees resembles something completely different. Specifically, I'm thinking of a photo of a person leaning against a tree on a lakeshore. When rotated, it is apparent that the lake is actually the sky and she's lying (not leaning) on an uprooted tree. In short:

Show spec1 to left... rotate while turning to show spec 2 on right... top switch... aud = reality 3. Nobody's description matches.

There are numerous presentational options, of course, but this is the root. Who owns it?

John
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Jack Shalom

Re: Whose idea is this?

Postby Jack Shalom » June 5th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Several magicians who have work on ambigrams, but the picture angle is new to me.

These are nice too:
https://www.tumblr.com/search/symbiotogram

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 6th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I have used the bunny/duck illusion to create multiple realities as part of a magic performance. two people on stage. show a pic of an abstract drawing to each of them and the audience. ask which animal they felt tney saw in the image. Reveal you influenced each person to 'see' that particular image and how you allegedly influenced them to do so

also used this as a personality test as part of a 40th birthday presentation

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » June 6th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Anybody ever "see" Bunny/Penguin?
I use this ambigram as sort-of proof that sometimes we see things that aren't there and sometimes we don't see things that are there.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”