Continuing Best Ace Assembly

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Philippe Noël

Continuing Best Ace Assembly

Postby Philippe Noël » October 28th, 2001, 1:08 am

I found a quite pleasant ace assembly on Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control Video Series Volume 7, using the Veeser Concept. I do not know if this version is in print but it must be?!
Talking about this video, they announce on the back of the tape that Gad-About Aces is in the effects part but it is not?!
I did not find it anyway.
Talking about Jazz Aces, Ed Marlo makes a remark in The Card Magic of Ed Marlo saying:"By the time the performer got to the last Ace there wasn't any surprise. In fact, the layman was way ahead as to what was to happen to the last Ace. This also led, on several occasions, for the layman to question whether that last card was really an Ace." What do you think about it?
Regards,

Philippe Nol

Re: Continuing Best Ace Assembly

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2001, 6:41 am

I would have to say that I completely disagree with Ed Marlo's analysis of Jazz Aces. Here's why:

In Jazz Aces the performer makes it crystal clear that he is only using 8 cards - specifically the 4 Aces and 4 spot cards. Before laying a spot card on the leader ace, the performer displays 4 spot cards (via Elmsley). If the performer is holding 4 spot cards, then the spectator instinctively believes the other 4 cards (the ones on the table) to be the 4 aces despite the fact that 3 of them are face down. (Process of elimination)

Prior to the final transposition, the performer shows 4 spot cards in his hand. The other 4 cards on the table are instinctively believed to be the 4 aces. It is even more convincing now because 3 of the 4 aces are face up. The spectator could even tell you which ace is face down.

The final transposition is the most impossible of the 3, therefore it is the strongest.

I can tell you that I have performed this effect many times for lay audiences and it is more powerful than most non gaffed ace assemblies.

I would be willing to bet that Peter Kane and Darwin Ortiz would probably disagree with Ed Marlo concerning Jazz Aces as well.

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2001, 5:38 am

With all due respect Mark, I tend to agree with Philippe on this one. My personal opinion is that the Jazz Aces (NB. I only perform "Modern Jazz Aces - Ortiz") tends to lack a kicker. I find that the best reaction from lay people tends to come from the first ace being revealed. I think that the rest of the trick holds no real surprizes which I find annoying and frustrating as it's a beautiful trick.

I think that the fact that only 8 cards are employed enhances the trick for card people and people with some degree of knowledge but lay people don't know anything about the usual "switch out" or "add-on" moves and the like anyway so they would never suspect that the four cards you just dealt onto the mat might not be all four aces, whether you are holding just 8 cards or 52.

My opinion is that it's a very good trick by anyone's standards. From a lay persons perspective, it seems that the more they think about it, the more impossible it seems. Unfortunately, I think it lacks the surprize kicker element that really knocks people sideways with astonishment. I think that lacking this element prevents it from being a great trick.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2001, 4:58 am

Hi Kris,

My point about using 8 cards was that one of the assets of this effect was its clarity.

Using 8 cards makes the trick easier to follow (less clutter).

Also by process of elimination if you are holding 4 spot cards (which you continuously show), the cards on the table must be the Aces. It is a psycological reinforcement that the cards on the table must be Aces due to process of elimination. This is what makes the trick strong.

As the trick progresses, it gets more impossible. The first transposition is good, but the audience may think that had they been paying closer attention, they could have seen the switch.

When it happens a second time, the audience should really get the message that what you are doing is impossible. They were paying closer attention yet they saw nothing.

Before you make the third Ace transpose with the spot card, they believe you are holding the 4 spot cards and they see 4 cards on the table - 3 face up aces and one face down card that they know to be the last Ace (process of elimination). When the final transposition takes place, they should be devestated. This final transposition is the strongest . That is the psychology behind the effect (and my explanation of why I believe it is strong in the eyes of a lay audience).

As I have said before, this has been a standard effect that I have done for over 8 years and my experience has led me to believe that it is one of the most powerful effects I have performed.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Ennis ]

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2001, 6:22 am

You feel that this is one of the strongest effects you perform? Interesting.

Anyway, I agree with your points about clarity. I also agree that it is a very strong effect. I just can't get away from the fact that I always feel like it could benefit from a more impacting climax.

It's like a Tyson fight, the last part never lives up to the build up. :)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”