Interesting Marketed Tricks From The Past

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Interesting Marketed Tricks From The Past

Postby Joe Mckay » March 14th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » March 15th, 2016, 3:22 am

The Tenyo self-contained Hydrostatic Glass is called Water Suspension. I always thought this was a great idea and very well made.

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.ch/2010/05/t-035.html

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 17th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Cheers, Edwin.

I came across something interesting today. For a couple of years - I have been aware of an interesting magic effect that is often sold to the public. It is very cheap (a couple of dollars) but is actually very clever. It is a simple effect but is a fooler. And because the trick is 100% self-contained - you can fool yourself with the trick when you do it.

You can see a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1Xv9fxnGc

If it were not for an old Martin Gardner trick which uses the same principle - this trick would have been a serious fooler to me. But then again - I am easily fooled.

Anyway - I always liked the optical illusion used in this trick and today I found out that Richard Himber (a creator I really admire) adapted the principle for a larger stage effect.

You can read about his version here. It is called The Ghost Glass:

http://www.internationalmagicauction.com/index.php?module=listings&controller=listing&action=details&id=112779&name=ghost-glass-richard-himber

Now - I must stress. I have never seen this trick performed and I do not know the method. So - I may be completely wrong. But my guess is that this trick is an enlarged version of the cheaper trick above. But I may be wrong - that is just my guess on this one.

Does anyone know if I am on the right track here?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 19th, 2016, 11:52 am

Okay - let's see if we can track down this trick.

Back in 2001 - in a thread about favourite non-cliche tricks - Matthew Field mentioned the following:

"And I'm fond of the trick in which a half-dollar penetrates a metal (or glass) plate in a small wooden box with a slot in the top and bottom.

The slow movement of the coin "through" the plate is great."

I spoke to him on Facebook today and he could not recall much more about the trick. This is the message he sent me:

Sorry Joe - don't know the name. I bought it at Tannen's years ago. It's a gaffed box, 3"x3"x1.5" and one side moves, so the metal plate can slide out, shielded by the fingers holding the box. As the plate moves out, the half dollar sinks through. Matt

So - I will reach out to the forum instead. Does this description rings any bells with you guys?

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » July 21st, 2016, 10:34 am

I bought the trick from Davenports in London around 1987. It was called "Coin through glass".
I have three catalogues from Davenports from that time. The trick is only in one of them from ~86, not in the later ones. It has catalogue number CN-010 (price £ 8.00).
In the later catalogues "Coin through glass" refers to the passing of a coin through the base of an upturned glass tumbler.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 21st, 2016, 5:20 pm

I bought the same thing years ago, think it was called Coin of the Realm.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 21st, 2016, 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info, guys!

Here is a video of the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6JHyY4KmQ

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » July 21st, 2016, 11:49 pm

There have been several different versions of that effect sold over the years. I remember a version where you penetrated the glass with a ball bearing.

The box in the demo here looks very much like a Lippincott Box but with a slot of course.

It's an old classic and a great one!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 30th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Louis Histed is a creator who interests me. I am interested in tracking down a trick of his called 'Pull Thru' which was released a few decades ago.

I nearly bought a copy today but the trick had been sold a few hours earlier.

You can see a description of the trick here:

http://castlemagicalservices.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=106

I am just wondering if anybody has seen this trick in action and can comment on it?

Is it a good trick or nothing special?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 30th, 2016, 4:47 pm

I remember that coin through glass routine from Davenport's in 1986. I never bought one, but Larry Barnes let me try it out a few times.

If you used a 50p piece, which has seven sides, the falling through is a very nice moment.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 30th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Squeeze Play caught my eye back in the late 1970s when it was first marketed but I never bought one. The little cube that penetrates a plastic disc and falls into a glass. I remember Mark Wilson performing it on television and realized that the pros on T.V. were not above performing a marketed effect.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » July 30th, 2016, 9:07 pm

If I am not mistaken, it was Mark Wilson who gave Squeeze Play its name!

Great Tenyo effect! Funny you should mention it because I had it out today. I find it to be a trick that needs to be practiced every now and then.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 30th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Dr. Sawa had an interesting variation on Squeeze Play that was published in the 5th symposium book, the yellow one. Like Squeeze Play a die was crushed between two small plastic squares and revealed to have been flattened. You had to have the props specially made because this was never marketed.

Every trick has to be practiced now and then to remain in one's repertoire.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 30th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Another trick I am interested in tracking down (and learning more about) is a chip through box effect called 'Clever Chip' by Peter Kane.

I recently stumbled across an advert for it in an old issue of Magigram magazine.

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » September 9th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Bought a beautiful steel cardbox with no instructions. It came in blue box w/latch. Shiny black bottom. Can I get some help with this. Thanks

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Your statement is an oxymoron: how can the "steel" box be cardboard?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » September 9th, 2016, 8:49 pm

With all due respect to all parties: is it a beautiful steel cardbox or a beautiful steel cardboard box?

Jackpot
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » October 15th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Well - I can provide some updates to this thread.

I managed to track down 'Pull Thru' by Louis Histed. It is a nice trick but not one I am in love with.

I also tracked down 'Clever Chip' by Peter Kane. A magician kindly offered to send me the trick which was very nice of him. 'Clever Chip' is a great trick. Peter Kane is one of my favourite creators. And discovering this non-card effect which is both excellent and rare has made me very happy.

Recently I got hold of 'Wishy Washer'. This trick was put out by Howie Schwarzman.

There were no instructions included with the trick.

Still - my sense is that this may be a trick that was actually created by Pat Conway. Since the trick is one that uses a matchbox and because Pat Conway specialized in matchbox effects.

Added to which - I recently got hold of another trick by Pat Conway that uses an identical matchbox. Although I have yet to play with that one yet.

Anyway - it is a very nice trick.

At some point I may start a thread on the books of Glenn Gravatt. Since he is a recent discovery of mine. Really great stuff in those books - exactly what I was looking for. Lots of clever non-card (and coin) magic.

Also he has lots of interesting adaptations for Stewart James' Sefalalgia principle as well. Which is something I happen to be very interested in.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » November 5th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I am always looking to deepen my interest in magic. And learn new things.

I am 33 and have a massive library of books and magazines.

However - no matter how well read you are - there is a large chunk of magic that passes you by.

Marketed tricks.

I find this a really difficult area to study. And since I love great magic - nothing saddens me more than the idea I would overlook a trick I might fall in love with.

As such - I want to start a thread where we can point out interested marketed effects that others may have overlooked. Happily - we can leave out Tenyo tricks since Richard Kaufman has documented this area so well in his new book.

Here are some marketed tricks from the past that have caught my eye.

First is the Eddie Joseph trick (called 'Shattering Coins') I started a thread on recently:

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47810

Also - I am a fan of 'Bewildering Rings' and 'The Straw Through The Card' by Petrick and Mia.

Here is what Dai Vernon said about 'Bewildering Rings':

"Petrick's bracelets and string effect is truly amazing, most entertaining and delightfully visual. Hard to believe everything can be examined before and after. Nothing added or taken away. One of the very finest routines I have come across in years."

As for the 'Straw Through The Card' trick - I find it interesting that it is a reinvention of an ingenious Karl German idea. But applied to a close-up effect.

'Ring of Fire' by Bob Swadling is another trick that interests me. You can see it (briefly) at the beginning of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe85Z7i8J7I

Another is 'Impossible Penetration'. Although I am not sure who to credit for this trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1S6ouJY70

Hopefully others will find this topic of interest? A lot of the best ideas in magic were released as standalone effects and not put into print.

As such - you are often left to word of mouth when it comes to working out which tricks from the past are worth saving from obscurity. The input from more experienced magicians is invaluable in this area.

I was fortunate enough to have Petrick demonstrate these to me one on one .
It was very magical.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 5th, 2016, 7:04 pm

I remember buying a version of this mind reading miracle from Tannen's when I was young. Very puzzling and can be examined.

https://www.daytonamagic.com/magic-clock-nismm019.html

magicfish

Postby magicfish » November 5th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I am always looking to deepen my interest in magic. And learn new things.

I am 33 and have a massive library of books and magazines.

However - no matter how well read you are - there is a large chunk of magic that passes you by.

Marketed tricks.

I find this a really difficult area to study. And since I love great magic - nothing saddens me more than the idea I would overlook a trick I might fall in love with.

As such - I want to start a thread where we can point out interested marketed effects that others may have overlooked. Happily - we can leave out Tenyo tricks since Richard Kaufman has documented this area so well in his new book.

Here are some marketed tricks from the past that have caught my eye.

First is the Eddie Joseph trick (called 'Shattering Coins') I started a thread on recently:

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47810

Also - I am a fan of 'Bewildering Rings' and 'The Straw Through The Card' by Petrick and Mia.

Here is what Dai Vernon said about 'Bewildering Rings':

"Petrick's bracelets and string effect is truly amazing, most entertaining and delightfully visual. Hard to believe everything can be examined before and after. Nothing added or taken away. One of the very finest routines I have come across in years."

As for the 'Straw Through The Card' trick - I find it interesting that it is a reinvention of an ingenious Karl German idea. But applied to a close-up effect.

'Ring of Fire' by Bob Swadling is another trick that interests me. You can see it (briefly) at the beginning of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe85Z7i8J7I

Another is 'Impossible Penetration'. Although I am not sure who to credit for this trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1S6ouJY70

Hopefully others will find this topic of interest? A lot of the best ideas in magic were released as standalone effects and not put into print.

As such - you are often left to word of mouth when it comes to working out which tricks from the past are worth saving from obscurity. The input from more experienced magicians is invaluable in this area.

I was fortunate enough to have Petrick demonstrate these to me one on one.
Very magical.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » November 6th, 2016, 9:55 am

I got to see Petrick and Mia demo a bunch of their items and also bought a number. Whatever happened to them?

magicfish

Postby magicfish » November 21st, 2016, 10:56 pm

I used to love my Tip Pen. I wish I could find another.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 22nd, 2017, 12:19 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:I got to see Petrick and Mia demo a bunch of their items and also bought a number. Whatever happened to them?

So what did happen to them?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 22nd, 2017, 12:51 pm

I heard they divorced.

They had some great ideas in the past.

Shame.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 17th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I came across something interesting today. For a couple of years - I have been aware of an interesting magic effect that is often sold to the public. It is very cheap (a couple of dollars) but is actually very clever. It is a simple effect but is a fooler. And because the trick is 100% self-contained - you can fool yourself with the trick when you do it.

You can see a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1Xv9fxnGc

If it were not for an old Martin Gardner trick which uses the same principle - this trick would have been a serious fooler to me. But then again - I am easily fooled.

The old Martin Gardner trick I referred to above is the classic Match Through Safety Pin trick which uses a similar optical illusion to the ingenious Magic Sword effect seen in the video above.

Well - I am reading the Tarbell Course In Magic and that match trick is credited to P.T. Selbit. I have never read the Tarbell course before (I just never got round to it). But I got all 8 books recently and I am making up for lost time now...

Return to “Close-Up Magic”