Interesting Marketed Tricks From The Past

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Interesting Marketed Tricks From The Past

Postby Joe Mckay » February 10th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I am always looking to deepen my interest in magic. And learn new things.

I am 33 and have a massive library of books and magazines.

However - no matter how well read you are - there is a large chunk of magic that passes you by.

Marketed tricks.

I find this a really difficult area to study. And since I love great magic - nothing saddens me more than the idea I would overlook a trick I might fall in love with.

As such - I want to start a thread where we can point out interested marketed effects that others may have overlooked. Happily - we can leave out Tenyo tricks since Richard Kaufman has documented this area so well in his new book.

Here are some marketed tricks from the past that have caught my eye.

First is the Eddie Joseph trick (called 'Shattering Coins') I started a thread on recently:

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47810

Also - I am a fan of 'Bewildering Rings' and 'The Straw Through The Card' by Petrick and Mia.

Here is what Dai Vernon said about 'Bewildering Rings':

"Petrick's bracelets and string effect is truly amazing, most entertaining and delightfully visual. Hard to believe everything can be examined before and after. Nothing added or taken away. One of the very finest routines I have come across in years."

As for the 'Straw Through The Card' trick - I find it interesting that it is a reinvention of an ingenious Karl German idea. But applied to a close-up effect.

'Ring of Fire' by Bob Swadling is another trick that interests me. You can see it (briefly) at the beginning of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe85Z7i8J7I

Another is 'Impossible Penetration'. Although I am not sure who to credit for this trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1S6ouJY70

Hopefully others will find this topic of interest? A lot of the best ideas in magic were released as standalone effects and not put into print.

As such - you are often left to word of mouth when it comes to working out which tricks from the past are worth saving from obscurity. The input from more experienced magicians is invaluable in this area.
Last edited by Joe Mckay on February 10th, 2016, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Henderson

Re: Interesting Marketed Tricks From The Past

Postby Brad Henderson » February 10th, 2016, 3:05 pm

if you are interested in marketed items that are a little larger in size, you mignt wish to find a set of Albo books. great tricks, lovely pictures. Will expose you to amazing things that you may not know even exist.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 10th, 2016, 3:45 pm

"Another is 'Impossible Penetration'. Although I am not sure who to credit for this trick?"

There is an Ad for this trick in The Linking Ring, Vol. 67, no 1, January 1987, page 6. It's credited to Clarence Miller

performer

Postby performer » February 10th, 2016, 3:52 pm

I found one of my Abra ads from about 45 years ago. I shall reveal the truth of the matter in my next post though. Anyway here it is:

ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THIS WORLD
The miracle improvement to Paul Curry’s classic effect. NO STOPPING HALFWAY THROUGH DEAL. Spectator deals pack into two face-down piles; when cards are turned over, one side is all red, the other side all black. The secret is a trick pack, but what a trick pack! Can be thoroughly examined. You can even play a game of cards with them. As purchased by Robert Harbin, Silvan, etc. MARKETING RIGHTS EXCLUSIVELY HELD BY MARK LEWIS STUDIO. £ 1 post free in U.K. $4 airmail to U.S. Other countries please send enough to cover postage.

ALSO:--
CUPS and COLOURS
As performed by Mark Lewis all over the country. One of the greatest close-up tricks ever invented. Beautifully made multi-coloured cups specially imported from Holland and assembled at our factory. Price 50 pence post free in U.K. Airmail to U.S. $2

THE VANISHING ROYAL
This is the finest Three Card Monte in existence. The standard effect but superior to anything you have ever seen. Made to rigorous specifications at our factory on the premises. NOT FOR SALE. This item is FREE to any customer who makes a purchase exceeding £1. This offer is open to callers only.

FINALLY:--
We will shortly be announcing the opening of the Mark Lewis Magic Theatre. A regular weekly evening of close-up magic by one of the world’s finest card magicians. WATCH OUT FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

MARK LEWIS MAGIC STUDIO,
SUITE A, 12 -14 DICKSON ROAD, BLACKPOOL, LANCS.
TELEPHONE BLACK POOL (0253) 24955
Open seven days a week
(subject to professional commitments)
10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily

performer

Postby performer » February 10th, 2016, 3:55 pm

OK. Here is the truth behind the above ad. Incidentally all the above tricks had been advertised individually for weeks beforehand and I sold a ton of them with the most blatant misrepresenation which I am very proud of.

By way of explanation "Absolutely Out of This World" was a svengali deck with the reds cut short and the blacks left as they were. If you flick half the deck one way they are all black and the other way all red. That was how it worked. I invented it and it was the biggest load of bilge I ever came up with. I sold loads and loads though! Robert Harbin and Silvan spent money on it, as I remember. They must have been gravely disappointed in their purchase!

And to my great delight I have just found one left over from 45 years ago. Amazingly it is as good as new although the box is naturally a little bedraggled. It is new because I never used it and was never sold.

The Cups and Colours trick was simply the little plastic cups and balls. I disguised the title and description so the idiot magicians wouldn't realise what it was. Ali Bongo was daft enough to buy one which was ironic because he was the one who first sold it to me when he worked in a magic shop. I was a teenager at the time.

The cups were egg cups and were indeed made in Holland but I purchased them from the local grocery store. My "factory" was a table in my office.

As was the Vanishing Royal which of course is the Dutch Looper. I used to make 14 out of one regular deck. I would make all 14 in about ten minutes. It was indeed "made to rigorous specifications at our factory on the premises" . I just had to make sure I cut them properly and put the glue on correctly.

As for the Mark Lewis Magic Theatre that was just a room in my office premises. I only got one punter come in. He was an old man with nothing much to do in Blackpool. And of course I shall let you guess who "one of the world's finest card magicians" was!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 10th, 2016, 4:15 pm

During the Genii cataloging a few years ago I was assigned the 80s, so I had to read through every issue from that decade.

One thing that helped to pass the time was looking at the ads for the hot tricks of the day; if you want to get a feel for what was around back then, it's a good place to start, and you can cross reference with the product reviews (although they were a tad less detailed back in those days...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 10th, 2016, 4:18 pm

As an aside; I bought a bewildering amount of things from Abra in the 80s, most of which covered the entire spectrum from dreck to sh1te. Now I'm wondering how many of them were Mark's...

I took one thing into Harrod's to show David Cronin (old school pitchman who taught me the Sven pitch). He looked at the item, then up and me, and said simply 'they're the clever ones...'

performer

Postby performer » February 10th, 2016, 5:01 pm

You probably did buy some of mine. Some of my advertising copy was very good. Most dealers never got much in the way of results from Abra. I did very well though because I tried to make the ads amusing and naturally full of self aggrandizement.

Mind you, I did occasionally sell something of quality although it wasn't a particular priority for me. I remember Silvan was my best customer but then other dealers told me that he used to buy a ton of stuff from them too.

What always used to amuse me was that the top magicians had the most awful letterheadings, business cards and promotional material that they would occasionally send in with their orders. Really cheap quality. Yet the struggling magicians and semi pros would send me top quality art paper colour brochures and high quality business cards and notepaper.

One thing I did right though. I was even slightly paranoic about it. I would send the order instantly and was actually quite conscientious about it. I never wanted to get into the difficulties which seem to be incredibly prevalent even today with people ordering stuff from quite noted names in magic and the stuff not showing up. And then of course the vendor avoids all his disgruntled customers and is never to be found. That is fatal. When customers can't get hold of you they get very nervous and start raising hell.

I always made sure they got their merchandise even if the stuff I sent was crap which of course it often was. I actually have a little of it left from years ago!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 10th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Here is another fun trick which will be new to a lot of you:

'Blockbuster' by Terri Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPghXEPWg4

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 10th, 2016, 6:51 pm

anverdi did that with a pin. Here is a modern version of his idea

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=anverdi ... magic&sm=3

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 10th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:"Another is 'Impossible Penetration'. Although I am not sure who to credit for this trick?"

There is an Ad for this trick in The Linking Ring, Vol. 67, no 1, January 1987, page 6. It's credited to Clarence Miller

There was a detailed article about the creation of this item in one of the trades recently (I'll try to find it when I get home). It was also offered for sale by Collectors Workshop/Viking Magic at one time.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 10th, 2016, 7:01 pm

clarence's trick is a wooden version of the delben chopper, made from wood with a single hole.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 10th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Thanks for that, Brad.

And thanks too for mentioning the Albo books earlier. Although as you said - it is not quite what I am looking for.

This is an area that really interests me. It would be great to see a 'Tenyoism' type book one day that archived the best of the creative ideas to be found in marketed effects. It is strange to think that there is a wile other corridor to magic that I have never been down before.

Perhaps a blog/forum would be a good venue for this sort of thing? I may look into that one day. Although I just found this site and it looks promising:

http://www.thebestmagic.com/

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 10th, 2016, 7:09 pm

can you clarify the types of things you are interested in? I am unclear where the line between some of the items you have mentioned and some other pieces of apparatus may be. Is it a limitation to closeup items? Would gerlitz, Warner and anverdi be in that group? if so there may be an article coming out very soon that might interest you.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 10th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Yeah - I should be more clear about my own particular interests.

Basically - I have read every book and magazine there is to read in magic.

Okay - that is a wild exaggeration. But it certainly feels that way. Particularly when I think about the endless hours I have spent making use of the Ask Alexander site.

And on top of that - I am bored of card tricks. Have being for a few years now.

However - I am not a magic collector. I don't really care about pretty props. I just want to uncover some cool tricks that have never been published in books before. The Eddie Joseph trick earlier was a great example of that.

So I am looking for creative close-up magic. That does not use cards. Happily - this accounts for a lot of the magic tricks that have been marketed over the past century.

That said - it feels like I have little more to go on than word of mouth and luck when trying to uncover the best ones.

I also think a lot of magicians are in the same boat as me. They would be delighted to hear about marketed tricks that are novel or ingenious - but have been long forgotten about.

It would make a nice column in GENII! :-) David Britland would be perfect for this.

And I will look out for you article, Brad. Cheers!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 11th, 2016, 3:37 am

This week I recorded a 2 DVD set on children's magic.

One of the DVDs will cover magic invented, published or marketed by children's entertainers who are now forgotten but who shouldn't be.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 11th, 2016, 4:43 am

Joe -- I'm sure you have the 4 volumes of Thayer Instruction Sheets, but if others don't know about them, they are highly recommended. As is anything by U.F. Grant.

Matt Field

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 10:35 am

Never thought about about the Thayer books. Thanks, Matt! Looks really interesting.

Also - I have some stuff by UF Grant. His work on magnets and his booklet on 'Windowstoppers' (this is a really interesting little booklet). In that booklet I was in a daze for a day or two thinking how incredible that mermaid effect (at the end of the booklet) must have been when it was used as a publicity gimmick 70 years ago.

That said - I am not sure where to look next as regards UF Grant?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! And I will look out for your upcoming project, Quentin. I don't know much about Children's magic. Although - I know Walt Less was a Children's magician and he was a clever creator of close-up magic.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 11th, 2016, 11:30 am

? the ad copy, the instructions, the manufacturing...

what about the stuff intrigues?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 11th, 2016, 12:27 pm

there was a large (ish) UF grant DVD project released a few years ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Grant pioneered the modern lecture circuit - without ever leaving his house. He would send a movie of his lecture to a club along with notes to sell. They would mail it to the next
club and so on and so forth

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

I have a few days off work, and have been looking through some Geniis from the 80s. Some of the old ads are fascinating; and it is interesting to see which tricks lasted...

That Impossible Penetration trick I still have; I bought it off George Schindler. I still remember his patter line; he would hold the chopper up, and say "If you look through the hole, can you see a star? Well, that's enough about me..." A funny line, and great cover for the move.

I also remember the fuss that the ads for Ben Harris's Cosmosis caused. While, as so often with Ben, the advertising over-promised, the trick lives on...although at a lot lower price. However - I do deplore that it is so often now sold as a generic trick, without credit (or money) being given to Ben, for what is a clever idea.

Well, since I'm here; I have a long term puzzle. when I was a kid - so we are back to the seventies - someone bought me a card trick. (Maybe from Davenports, or Ellisdons - I'm in the UK). What I remember is that (at least) one of the cards had a 'star trap' cut in it. So, I'm guessing the trick was some sort of penetration. Does this ring any bells?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 2:28 pm

I am just interested in creative and ingenious ideas.

I have discovered most of the ones that are in print.

So - now I am curious about figuring out the best way to find the ones that were never in print and instead were only ever released as marketed effects.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » February 11th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I have discovered most of the ones that are in print.

Ah, it's nice to be young.

Have a conversation with Max Maven about The Jinx sometime and see if you still fell that way, Joe.

Matt Field

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 3:02 pm

I am not a big fan of 'The Jinx'.

I agree with Stewart James when he said 'The Pallbearer's Review' was a much better magazine.

But hey I say stupid things all the time. Maybe in 2026 I will disagree with what I just wrote.

Reminds me of that book (Cardmagic? Cardworks?) where Richard Kaufman wrote in the introduction that Erdnase and Hofzinser were both overrated.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 11th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Terri Rogers' Blockbuster and the Anverdi trick with a pin are very different.

I had an Enchanted Ring and there's a wooden block with a slot. You slide the bracelet in the slot and lock it in place with a pin running across. This bracelet passes through the pin and everything can be examined.

In Blockbuster there's a block with a slot, which has a piece of ribbon running through from side to side. You lower the bracelet in the slot and pull it up, with the ribbon running through it. The block can not be examined

I had the Enchanted Ring when I was 15 and it worked very reliably and was a pretty good fooler, other than the fact that the whole thing was obviously a piece of magician's apparatus. You hold the bracelet, with the block dangling from it, and lower it onto a spectator's hand. You lift the bracelet and it comes free; you can hang it on the person's thumb and leave everything in their hands.

I've never held a blockbuster but I've seen the method in Rogers' book. It's amazing. But apparently most of the actual ones were very balky in operation.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 5:29 pm

I forgot to mention how highly I rate Terri Rogers.

She deserves to be better known.

She was a brilliant creator of magic.

Hey Pete - remember the Afghan Race puzzle thing in 'Top Secrets'? That trick fooled me for a few years until I figured out the simple secret. Every few months I would go over the puzzle and fool myself.

To be fair - that was more me being dumb than Terri being clever. lol

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Jonathan Townsend?

You posted this on The Magic Cafe back in 2004:

Al Schneider posted a wonderful thing on his website....

Six coins stacked to the center of the table on a small round glass plate. Six cards placed around the center. The coins care covered by a small cylinder. A bit of flash paper is dropped in. The flash paper is lit. The cylinder is empty! The coins are under the cards. Worth a look.

Do you know the name of the trick? Does anyone else? Is Al Schneider's site still working?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 11th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Pete, yes the anverdi and rogers items are different, but close enough that if one likes one, they might likely be interested in the other.

My first introduction to Terri was Stargate. That may have been the first trick that spurned my first argument with a magician. We were exploring the difference between puzzle and magic.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2016, 7:26 pm

I found the Al Schneider effect. Looks very nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3324jsPcY5A

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 12th, 2016, 12:12 am

Brad Henderson wrote: That may have been the first trick that spurned my first argument with a magician.

Fortunately, Brad learned a valuable lesson, and has never argued with another magician since.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 12th, 2016, 12:27 am

HA!

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » February 12th, 2016, 4:51 am

If you've never seen Terri Rogers' vent act, check it out on YouTube. Be aware that's it's quite rude.

Matt Field

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » February 12th, 2016, 8:16 am

Joe Mckay wrote:I am just interested in creative and ingenious ideas.

I have discovered most of the ones that are in print.

So - now I am curious about figuring out the best way to find the ones that were never in print and instead were only ever released as marketed effects.

Really? Wow and Blimey.
Agree with Matthew Field, though rather than bother Max Maven, why not put aside five minutes and have another look at The Jinx :)

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 13th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Just stumbled across some remarkably odd magic here.

Seems to me these were not made by a magic dealer. But by some kind of games manufacturer for use in amusement arcades.

Anyway - three coin operating machines here - each one of which has a mechanism that does a magic trick for the viewer:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/40129802_676-magic-machines-disappearing-disc-string-cutter

Anyone know any more about these unusual machines?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 13th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Paulhinha's 'Wisenheimer Outdone' looks interesting.

Anyone ever seen this manuscript/trick?

You can see the advert for it here:

http://postimg.org/image/dlus4b21b/

It is from the December, 1969 'Linking Ring' magazine.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 13th, 2016, 8:35 pm

Here is a comprehansive overview of the company that created the coin operated machines mentioned earlier.

http://www.melright.com/bryans/history.htm

http://www.melright.com/bryans/museum.htm

And you can see videos of two of the tricks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Q3EhwmmPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezGoYBR1po

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » February 14th, 2016, 8:31 am

I'm not sure i would agree with the assessment of how "rare" those arcade machines are - i think i've seen one in every old-time-arcade i've been in to and whilst i don't have precise pricing info similar age / style machines sell for <$1000 over here regularly so estimating these at $6k plus feels optimistic.

The coin vanish is very effective
The rope cutting is mechanically interesting but not hugely deceptive.
The magic spiral (not built until 40years after the others) is just plain odd- i had to watch it a couple of times before i could even see the magic and even then the method was instantly obvious; unlike the other two machines there really is no mechanism or clever engineering in it.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 11th, 2016, 6:37 pm

U.F. Grant's 'Sacred Altar Light' sounds interesting. Anyone ever used this trick?

You can see adverts for it here:

http://postimg.org/image/rky54a8x5/

http://postimg.org/image/8q9amda4t/

Apparently the workings for this trick makes use of mirrors. Just going off something that Peter Warlock wrote in The New Pentagram.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » March 14th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Bobby Bernard has some great tricks published in The Pentagram magazine. One of them is a variation of the trick above.

Recently I have become interested in Lu Brent. So I am looking into his work. As part of that research I came across an interesting marketed effect by him called 'Water-Lu'. Here is a discussion about the effect from The Magic Cafe:

I’ve been performing “Water-Lu” (hydrostatic metal can) with the prop looking like an “Old El Paso Hot Chili Pepper’s” can (taped a label on it!). I pair it with the Chin Lee Water suspension and with a Styrofoam pencil thru cup bit for a multi phase routine. It is a solid routine!

Harry - question about "Water-Lu" ... I've seen it advertised in the old Abbott's catalogs , but never seen it performed. It's the Hydrostatic Glass effect , but is the method the same ? I always thought "foo can" principle , but haven't ever actually seen one.

It’s not a Foo can or really a hydrostatic glass. It uses a kind of hydrostatic glass principle but the cover never comes off. It drifts from the bottom to the top and back again. It is totally self-contained. Pour water into it until it is full to over flowing. Put a playing card over the mouth of the can, turn the thing upside down (typical hydrostatic handling so far), and peel the card away. Put the card back and turn the can up right again and pour the water out. Nothing to dislodge. The amount of fluid is the exact volume of the can. Lu Brent was a genius when he invented this little treasure.

The above is taken from this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=258359&forum=10&start=0

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2016, 9:13 pm

"Water-Lu" was also marketed by Tenyo for many years.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”