'Shattering Coins' by Eddie Joseph

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

'Shattering Coins' by Eddie Joseph

Postby Joe Mckay » February 9th, 2016, 7:43 pm

I am interested in learning more about this old trick.

Have any of you guys played with it before? It seems impossible to get hold of these days.

I am just curious if it is a sleight of hand routine, or if it is more of a trick the relies on gimmicks?

I have heard a few people rave about it. And the plot is quite convoluted. Originally the trick was called The Magic Locust' which involved a locust eating coins I believe?

Still - the idea of vanishing ten(!) pennies from your hand has me curious!

I saw this effect mentioned on a recent Michael Vincent DVD set. Do you guys think that is the best place to learn the trick? I assume Michael has come up with some improvements to Eddie Joseph's routine?

Jonathan Townsend

Re: 'Shattering Coins' by Eddie Joseph

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 9th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Sleight of hand. Tony Spina used to demonstrate the trick at Tannen's. I don't know who has the rights to the Flying Carpet Magic /REPRO71 tricks these days - but Micheal Vincent has been doing fine work.

No idea about any locusts.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 9th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Here is Arthur Emerson discussing the trick:

It was at one of these sessions that I learned my favorite coin trick.

Many years before, Joseph had marketed “The Magic Locust”. Ten English pennies and 10 small ball bearings in the magicians left fist are exposed to a tiny bar magnet (the Locust) encased in Indian cloth weaving. Spectator removes the Locust and is asked what remains in your fist. “Pennies and silver balls” was the answer, but when your fist is opened the 10 pennies have vanished!

Harry Stanley made a lot of money with this effect after we took it to a Corinda Sunday. The effect sold by Unique was called “Shattering Coins and Silver Balls” with no need for the “Locust” or a magnet.

I brought the revised “Locust” to a later Saturday and showed it to Joseph and he thought it was a fine variation.

The marvelous part of this story, for me, was that, on the following Saturday, Eddie Joseph brought me a gift: The original props, instructions and photographs of his performance of the Locust.

It is one of my prized possessions.

Arthur Emerson

http://www.fortworthmagiciansclub.org/Flashpapers/Flashpapers_Archives/05-13_Flashpaper.pdf
Last edited by Joe Mckay on February 9th, 2016, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 9th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Sounds to me like the magnet is used to gather up the silver balls in one spot. The magnetic force passes through the back of the hand and keeps all the loose silver balls in one spot.

You then ditch the stack of coins as you reach for one of the props.

And then you show the hand that should contain balls and coins - to only show coins.

So - it is a nice mixture of sleight of hand and gimmicks. Since it makes use of an unusual principle to help with the ditch of the coins - in order to hold the back the silver balls?

That is my guess after reading up on the trick in various places.

I would be interested in buying a copy if one has one for sale? Also - it would be interesting to know how different the 'Magic Locust' effect was from 'Shattering Coins'?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 9th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Thanks Joe. There's no magnet with the Shattering Coins set. The prop logistics are probably the same as with the original Locust handling. In this case the shield, flash paper and matches drive/justify the actions. The steel bearings, and "milkstone"/marble are various sizes. Not a bad idea using one or more spherical rare-earth magnets as a feint :)

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=12
they come in black and gold these days
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 9th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Michael Vincent does a great job with this. I was delighted to see him doing it, since it has been a favorite of mine since I read the marvelous description of the Shattering Coins and Silver Balls.

There is no gimmick, just sleight of hand and misdirection that's built into the procedure. Michael's version is quite true to the original. Mine, not so much.

"all done by Coindness"

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » February 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Is your version published?

I always keep an eye out for your stuff after falling in love with 'Inferential C/S Transposition' that was published in Apocalypse magazine.

Man - that is a sneaky trick!

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 10th, 2016, 11:51 am

Thank you, Joe, sneaky is a good thing. Sorry, though, I haven't gotten my version in print. Still exploring at the moment, and looking for opportunities to present.

"all done by Coindness"

Return to “Close-Up Magic”