Long haul - smooth pull

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jonathan Townsend

Long haul - smooth pull

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 11th, 2016, 11:59 am

Hi Folks, I'm looking for some help getting a long pull (about sixty inches) for a light object, preferably using IT. Imagine using a "squirmel" toy as a magic trick. :)

Think nylon line retractor but a little more refined.

Help?

Open note to James Riser on related matter:
Some time ago we disagreed about how to pull a coin for a one handed vanish. I was adamant about getting the coin out of sight quickly. You were/are sensible about the travel needing to be smooth and away from scrutiny. I concede your thinking is more on target. Let's add a nod to that book of good advice Vernon liked: "The resourceful professional failing to improve the method changes the moment."
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Re: Long haul - smooth pull

Postby Brad Henderson » January 11th, 2016, 1:54 pm

would any of the itr's work? are you familiar with einhorn's application to the esoteric effect that was popular a few years back? Kennedy also sold a remote controlled invisible thread reel (the black box?) a decade or so ago.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 11th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Thanks, not familiar with Einhorn's application. Looking at the ITRs now. Been hesitating to try out the Thornton Windlass. I'd like to retract a line (part visible, part invisible) of about two armlengths. Essentially making a utility device out of a squirmel toy that has a small loop of IT at the nose so it can be pulled out of hiding - and the retractor line at the tail so it can get pulled out of sight later.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 11th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Jonathan, the pull on a Thornton could probably be adjusted for invisible thread but my guess is that you would have problems with the thread jumping out of the shallow drum groove - then you would have a huge invisible knot inside the Thornton. How much weight do you need to pull and does the thread need to be "out in the open"?

performer

Postby performer » January 11th, 2016, 6:33 pm

The squirmle IS a magic trick! I have been informed by Jeremy the Squirmle that I used in my video that he is most offended at being called a mere "toy".

Incidentally I never use invisible thread when working it like all the daft American pitchmen do. Who the hell wants to put up with all that breakage 6 times a day? No. I use strong fishing line which will last for days on end. The secret is that I use a different routine where the line is very short (maybe 6 inches) and therefore cannot be seen.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 12th, 2016, 11:50 am

Hi Performer, a while ago (or maybe forty years) a guy named Beryl was in the area for a while and he pitched the "louse, I mean the" mouse and used a short line.

The prop in question here is a length of cord a foot long, an ounce or two. The frayed knot entire from a drawstring bag, a length of yarn pulled from a sweater.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 12th, 2016, 3:03 pm

I would have a look at Steve Fearson's Vectra Cobra. I don't have one but I think it might do what you want.

performer

Postby performer » January 12th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Hi Performer, a while ago (or maybe forty years) a guy named Beryl was in the area for a while and he pitched the "louse, I mean the" mouse and used a short line.

Yes. A short line is the way to go otherwise you spend all day fixing broken threads. Better to use strong fishing line and be done with it. If the thread is short they won't see it. If they do just tell them that when a dog goes for a walk it is on a leash so why shouldn't a mouse or a worm be allowed to do the same thing?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 12th, 2016, 5:21 pm

I've seen 'perfromer' do the Squirmle many times and he does an excellent job with it.

Dick Koornwinder also does an excellent handling, different from others I've seen. I was surprised to hear from Dick, that Tommy Wonder also used dem it.

I've often thought that it is a great 'bit' to do in strolling situations at paid gigs.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 13th, 2016, 10:06 am

Last night's rummaging turned up the reels saved away over the years... sigh. :( Many are great for reach of 36 inches or less. Two I had hopes for using on this project were not ready to go.

The two Thornton Windlasses (yeah in the green box, with cloth, pins and folded instructions) were inoperable. Last time I toyed with them they had a button at the line end to keep some tension or length of extra loose line wrapped around the case ... To find both needing attention was a tough one. And a friend who does lawn mower repair watched as I pulled the secondary spring out of one (it's only twenty feet of quarter inch spring steel... )

Taking this as educational opportunity - the student must be ready since the lessons are appearing.

Suggestions?

* If anyone here has a modern pen reel - that reaches a good eight feet - I'm interested in purchasing. On this BBS or email is fine. Thanks

Next stop fishing weights, safety pins and a mockup using basic holdout mechanics. It's such a silly idea that takes so much fuss to create the effect of pulling out a piece of yarn from your sweater, or from the center of a ball of yarn, or the cord from a drawstring bag or a strand of silver from a coin, or a string of words from a small prop. Both frustrated and amused. For the serious student of the craft - the keys are:
1) an invisible line loop at the head so the item can be pulled into view. as in dove steal.
2) after the cord-item is in view apparently show both ends free using a rope sleight - so need a little more than twice the length reach plus distance to the interior mechanics.
3) a smooth retraction of everything up to that loop
4) in a perfect world - a long enough reach to animate the visible cord like a snake on the table.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 13th, 2016, 11:12 am

Jonathan, perhaps this will help with your Thornton:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Thornton/Windlass.html

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 13th, 2016, 11:18 am

James, yes thanks those pics will guide my efforts to gently wind that spring and set it back in place.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 13th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Jim -- the Thornton Windlass material is highly educational. Many thanks!

Matt Field

Return to “Close-Up Magic”