Ring On String

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
cataquet

Ring On String

Postby cataquet » January 12th, 2007, 11:37 am

Are there any decent finger ring ONTO string moves. That is, all the moves that I have seen for finger ring are ring OFF string. There are many ring ONTO rope moves, but most of these require much a bigger ring. For example, tossing a ring into a (hitch) knot requires the ring to have some weight (and a finger ring doesn't have enough of it).

References please.

David Acer

Re: Ring On String

Postby David Acer » January 12th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Hi Harold,

Dan Garretts Faustus Ring Move is a ring-on-string technique. I cant recall where its published but I do remember it was in a 12-point, Times New Roman font.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 12th, 2007, 12:33 pm

There are several. Mark Leverage has a move in his ring and string routine that is similar in effect to the Faustas move, but different in execution. It was published in his Master Routines series, and I believe it's on one of the L&L DVDs.

There's a move that Dan Fleshman opens his routine with, but I seem to remember it came from someone else. The exact credit escapes me, sorry.

I'll try to think of more when the Daily Show is over...

Take care, Ian

Edit: the Fleshman move is a removal. Sorry about that...

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 12th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Jay Scott Berry's "Off Again - On Again" and spinning link both feature very visual penetrations onto the cord...both are part of his "Symphony" routine...available in a recent dvd, in Magic For the New World his notes from the 1980's, and in other sources...

"Off again - On again" could be performed with a finger ring but I think the handling may look cozy...the spin link clearly works best with the "tubular" ring he uses, but might work with a large wedding band...

N.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 12th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Dan Garrett's routine is in his lecture notes. There's contact info on his website:

http://members.aol.com/dangarrett/index.html

Jeff

P.S. David, I think you're wrong. It was Arial.

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Greg Wilson had/has a video/dvd which had a lot of references... The title escapes me for the moment...
RINGLEADER I THink
Hope this helps...
Jacky

cataquet

Postby cataquet » January 13th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.

David, the "Fautus Ring" first appears in "Dan Garrett does the UK". It's a 3 phase routine and in the all three phases, the spec places the ring on the rope (albeit just the first inch of it). In the final stage, the magician (apparently) takes the ring off the rope, and then dips the rope into the hand that (supposedly) has the ring, and the ring appears to jump onto the rope.

That last phase is the sorta thing I'm looking for (and already knew about). Dan Fleshman has a similar sequence in is routine... I want to avoid having to place the ring back on "manually" after I removed it "magically". Thinking about it, the only way to do this would be to use a duplicate ring (like Jay Scott Berry).

Ring Leader is a great reference, but if you look closely, you'll see that all the false ONs begin the same way - you pretend to take the ring off, but actually don't.

Bye for now

Harold

David Acer

Postby David Acer » January 13th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally posted by Harold Cataquet:
David, the "Fautus Ring" first appears in "Dan Garrett does the UK". It's a 3 phase routine and in the all three phases, the spec places the ring on the rope (albeit just the first inch of it). In the final stage, the magician (apparently) takes the ring off the rope, and then dips the rope into the hand that (supposedly) has the ring, and the ring appears to jump onto the rope.

That last phase is the sorta thing I'm looking for (and already knew about).
Hi Harold,

Its that last phase I was thinking about. Apart from that, theres an interesting ring-and-rope sequence by Richard Sanders in Random Acts of Magic wherein the borrowed ring is apparently placed in a coin purse, then a knot is tied in the middle of the rope, then the rope is pulled taut, causing the knot to change visibly into the spectators ring. Upon opening the coin purse, the knot is found inside. Maybe this would suit your needs.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 13th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Harold,

In that case definitely check the Leveridge move - you show the ring in your hand and close a loose fist around it. Then you dip the loop of string into your hand and lift up with the ring attached.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Harold, I suspect you'll now where to find this, but (and be forewarned, I consistently misspell this) the Sephalalgia sequence (and its variations)can be used to put the ring on the rope. In fact, I think that's the way Rich Moratta does it.

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2007, 5:03 am

Did you check the sources here? Ring and String .
The Cervon routine has a very strong onto-phase and "Pendu" by Deane Stern might also be what you are looking for.
(A Sefalaljia-phase is also listed by Ranjneesh Madhok who has another onto-phase as you can see.)

Denis

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2007, 8:52 am

I've also published "Bachelor's Thread", a ring appearance on thread, that was in The Minotaur and can also be seen on Geoff William's Miracles for Mortals DVD.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 12:11 pm

Jay Sankey has an application of Williamson's Striking Vanish that will work with a ring. Its described in a routine with a key in Sankey Unleashed (routine called Leaving Home). Footnotes say this routine appeared in the June 1999 issue of Genii.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2007, 12:20 pm

The Sankey handling was first published in 100% Sankey, and then with a key "Leaving Home" in our June or July 1999 issue of Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 3:35 pm

The Mark Leveridge move is fantastic. It looks great. The ring is in the left hand, the string is in the right. Dip the middle of the string into your cupped left hand and pull it out, revealing the ring on the string.

L&L Finger Ring Magic dvd has this (and many other wonderful ring routines on it).

Jay Sankey's "Leaving Home" is a nice little routine but you can't do it with a borrowed ring, if that's what you're after.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 6:49 pm

I had the task of reviewing the L&L "mix tape" on Finger Ring Magic for MUM. I'll save you looking it up:

If you do magic with finger rings you should invest $20.00 in this video. It's filled with great close up magic, including the Mark Leveridge routine, Sankey doing BOTH phases of his ring on spoon routine, a bunch of great stuff by Al Schneider, Dan Fleshman's well known routine and additional, classic stuff by Mike Ammar and Daryl.

cataquet

Postby cataquet » January 20th, 2007, 6:40 am

Ian, I was following up your recommendation of Leveridge's Ring & String routine and stumbled upon the L&L compiliation. So, Bill and Cfrancis, you anticipated my latest acquisition!

Thanks also to the other recommendations.
Curtis: I think your spelling is correct. Ammar performs his version on the L&L compiliation.
Dennis: I will look these up. Thanks
Raj: You were on Dennis' list!

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2007, 11:33 am

I did not want to post a totally seperate thread for this. Although it does have to do with the RING AND STRING. I purchased Ring Leader a couple years ago. The beautiful velvet cord that came with it...I HAVE WORE IT OUT!!!
I have looked all around my area...Wal-Mart,Michaels,Hobby Lobby,etc.
Does anyone know how I could purchase this string seperately?
Thanks for your help in advance

Steve V (the other one)

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 8:21 pm

Just wanted to check in again to see if someone knows about where I could get the string mentioned in the earlier thread....thank you

Steve V (the other one)

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 8:34 pm

Here: (scroll down for velvet cord)

http://www.mendels.com/trims.html

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally posted by David Acer:
Hi Harold,

Dan Garretts Faustus Ring Move is a ring-on-string technique. I cant recall where its published but I do remember it was in a 12-point, Times New Roman font.
Dan Garrett's 'Faustus Ring' is also published in Jerry Mentzer's 'Magic with Finger Rings' (David - you were right about the font).

The same books contains a ring-on-rope routine called 'Concorde' by Stephen Tucker.

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 10:18 pm

The Faustus Ring is also in Garrett in the U.S.A., which also has the Underhanded Overhand shuffle which I've talked up in the false shuffle thread.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 27th, 2007, 5:22 am

I'm pretty sure it's on Close up Connivery video as well...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Originally posted by cfrancis:
Jay Sankey's "Leaving Home" is a nice little routine but you can't do it with a borrowed ring, if that's what you're after.
I have done "Leaving Home" as the climax to a ring and string routine using a borrowed ring. I had plain gold and silver bands in my case with the string, and before the trick I scoped out someone with a plain band, which I borrowed. As I was bringing out the string, I got the matching band on my right ring finger, where it stays throughout the trick, then I stole it for use as a close-enough duplicate for the last (Leaving Home) phase.

I recommend this very highly. I don't know of a more perfect magic trick than Leaving Home. The spectator ties the ring on the string, you pull it off, put it back on visibly, and hand it straight for examination.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”