Sachs Dice routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bill Mullins

Sachs Dice routine

Postby Bill Mullins » July 4th, 2002, 3:03 pm

I just saw Bob Sheets lecture in Chattanooga. What a good time! (Thanks to Steve Bargatze for arranging the tour). Part of what he is presenting is his version of the Sachs Dice Routine "It's the Rules". I bought the video tape, and am using it to build a trick/routine of my own.

Can anyone point me to more sources? Where does the original appear -- in Sachs' sleight of hand book?

Re: Sachs Dice routine

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2002, 11:45 pm

I suposse youre talking about the 2 die trick with spots moving around. Its described in Bruce Elliot book "Classic Secrets of Magic".
A very good book, but I suposse its diffcult to obtain, it has more than fifty years.
But its worth every euro you spend in it.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 5th, 2002, 4:10 am

Another source for this effect Is Carl Andrews Jnr, who, if memory serves,did this at his lecture here in scarborough last year..

Dale

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » July 5th, 2002, 6:55 am

Hi Bill,
Dr. Sacks Dice Routine was originally published in the Phoenix in 1948. As such, it may be on the recent CD compilation of that magazine. Most recent descriptions of this effect are on video. Apparently the routine does not transfer well from the printed word. James Lewis has a very good video devoted entirely to the effect Dr. Sack's Amazing Dice Trick. Carl Andrews version is on his video "No Jacket Required". Reed McClintock has a new video The Ivory Connection that is based on the Dr. Sack routine. Steve Draun's video "Draun On Dice" also has this effect and he uses Dai Vernon's "Climax For A Dice Routine" from the "Dai Vernon Book Of Magic" with it. This video also has a few other dice routines. In David Regal's book "Up Close and Personal" there is a one dice routine "Spot Remover" that is similar to the Dr. Sack routine.

Dr. Sack of dice routine fame is apparently not the same person as the author of Sleight of Hand, Edwin Sachs.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 5th, 2002, 7:54 am

Thanks all, especially Ian.

Bill

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2002, 11:52 am

Some more two-dice-moves/routines can be found in Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation Part 1 (Harold Beaumont's Dice Routine) and Routined Manipulation Part 2 (Dr. Geimer's Dice Routine). Quite good, although IMHO not as strong as Dr. Sack's brilliant routine. One has to perform it to really apprciate the impact it has on spectators.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”