Okito boxes

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Okito boxes

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 25th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I have a small collection of Okito boxes that will likely become much larger eventually. I am wondering why some of the vintage boxes have a hole in the lid and bottom. Is there any advantage? I am familiar with a few routines, but none of them mentions a hole. I am adding one or two of these to my collection for the sake of collecting but will likely continue to use ones that I already own for performance.

Alfred

Re: Okito boxes

Postby Alfred » October 27th, 2015, 7:29 am

Bill Marquardt wrote:I am wondering why some of the vintage boxes have a hole in the lid and bottom. Is there any advantage? I am familiar with a few routines, but none of them mentions a hole.

Bill,

I don't know the advantages of using a drilled okito box. However, I'm aware of a routine exploiting that fact. If memory serves me well, it's called "The world's most expensive okito box routine" and can be found in John Mendoza's book "The book of John".

Hope this sheds some light into your question.
Last edited by Alfred on October 27th, 2015, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 27th, 2015, 7:51 am

There's a moment where you have the lid on the bottom and hold up the box that helps sell the notion of "fair". If you're doing a penetration effect it gives them something to focus on.

Later on folks put post gaffs with the box to permit a display of coins in the box as seen through the hole in the lid. IIRC they were from the 1970s with bigger holes. Eddie Gibson?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 27th, 2015, 10:53 am

Thanks for the tips. Since asking the question, I have found a short reference in Muhammed Bey's book. In a conclusion to his master routine he "pushes" a coin through the box with a hat pin that was used to secretly hold a small foam bunny for production. Another routine suggests patter to say the hole allows the transmuted coin to pass through the box.

I am not sure that the holes add a great deal to the effect. A creative mind could probably come up with something. I do not own The Book of John but perhaps I can locate a copy. Someone else suggested a cigaret through coin effect.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 27th, 2015, 12:21 pm

There was a thin four coin box with holes sized for a cigarette or pencil (and post gaffs both half dollar and chinese coin showing some half dollar )that was about right for the cig-thu-coin in box approach.

Rumor has it (and i have not yet seen the document) that there's a coin vanish from inside a coinbox using the hole as convincer and last instant view. someone's lecture notes?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 28th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I'm fond of the Milt Kort's Okito Less Box Routine. It's a gag penetration without the Okito box. The coins are stacked on the palm of your hand while you pretend they're inside an invisible Okito box.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » October 30th, 2015, 4:07 pm

A while back, I showed my working Okito box, which had the pinhole in the lid and bottom, to a machinist. I was about to stumble through an explanation for why I wanted the hole to be there, when he said, "Oh, sure, to prevent suction". (I had already shown him the box with the lid on the bottom, since that raises all sorts of design limitations) Now, back in the day, when they first started putting the hole in the boxes, an Okito box was a loose-fitting, sloppy affair and vacuum suction between the base and the lid was not a consideration. It can be, though, with modern boxes, so there's that.

More importantly, the pinhole sized hole does serve a very important function in Dr. Sawa's box. That, alone, justifies having the little hole. The box is explained on the massive L&L set on Dr Sawa, and it's awesomely clever.

The other type of hole mentioned here, is large enough to show the contents of the box. That was marketed as a Hoo's Coin Box, and the only routine I'm aware of that utilizes that feature well is John Mendoza's. In his routine, the coin is in the box, and the box is held in "Spellbound" display position. The spectators can see the coin through the holes n the box. The performer blows on the box, however, and they "see" the coin vanish.

"all done by Coindness"

Aaron Isaacs
Favorite Magician: bob sheets

Postby Aaron Isaacs » February 1st, 2017, 1:47 pm

Where is John Mendoza's routine published?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 1st, 2017, 2:01 pm

Aaron Isaacs wrote:Where is John Mendoza's routine published?

That routine is actually Dave Stahl's: The World's Most Expensive Okito Box Routine in "Don't Stall, Stahl!" by John Mendoza.

I think Mr. Mendoza did publish a rather extensive Okito Box routine in "Book of John."

Aaron Isaacs
Favorite Magician: bob sheets

Postby Aaron Isaacs » February 1st, 2017, 2:04 pm

Thank you!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2017, 3:17 pm

Craig Ousterling makes great Okito boxes: they were selling like crazy at the Magi-Fest.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 1st, 2017, 3:27 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Aaron Isaacs wrote:Where is John Mendoza's routine published?

That routine is actually Dave Stahl's: The World's Most Expensive Okito Box Routine in "Don't Stall, Stahl!" by John Mendoza.

I think Mr. Mendoza did publish a rather extensive Okito Box routine in "Book of John."

There is also The World's Most Expensive Okito Box Routine by David Stahl in The book of John. It's page 121.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » February 2nd, 2017, 3:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Craig Ousterling makes great Okito boxes: they were selling like crazy at the Magi-Fest.

Does anyone have contact information for Craig? I did a google search but came up empty trying to find how to order boxes.

Thanks, Joe

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 2nd, 2017, 3:17 pm

Joe Naud wrote:
Does anyone have contact information for Craig? I did a google search but came up empty trying to find how to order boxes.

Thanks, Joe

Try his Google+ page https://plus.google.com/102618863123713149123
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 2nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Here's a website of his in it's infancy. But you should be able to contact him through there. He makes beautiful brass boxes, but has now started making some in bronze. Worth looking into. http://primalgimcrack.com/

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » February 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm

Craig's boxes are truly beautiful and so great to work with. I've got one of his boxes in brass - dollar size. Couldn't be happier.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 3rd, 2017, 7:02 pm

Those Ousterling boxes are stunning!

I'm a fuddy duddy--I like the old school Jim Zee boxes, both for easy handling and because Mr. Zachary is a nice man.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 3rd, 2017, 8:02 pm

Craig's work is very nice. I have a few of his boxes. He'll also make them how every you want. Nice weight to work with.

Unfortunately Jim Zee hasn't made boxes in quite a while.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 3rd, 2017, 8:44 pm

Yes--that's what I heard as well. Daytona sells Jim Zee branded Okito boxes, but they are made by someone else.

I think Mr. Zachary also made that table you see in the L and L videos.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » February 5th, 2017, 11:11 pm

I bought mine from Herb Morrissey in the late 80's. Beauty little box.

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » June 3rd, 2017, 12:36 am

Ron Diamond at Ronjo Magic recently partnered with a new European machinist who is doing beautiful work in this regard. I've handled these boxes and they are just wonderful. I particularly found the two coin box of interest, as I've often thought that the four-coin version box, esp. for dollars, was just too large. You can find them here:

http://shop.ronjo.com/ronjo-2-coin-slee ... r-bev.html
Gary Brown

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 3rd, 2017, 3:18 am

I'm very new to working with coin boxes but recently bought the Sinbad Max Okito Box, and I'm very pleased with it.

https://lostartmagic.com/shop/physical/ ... cba1185463

MikeM74
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Okito boxes

Postby MikeM74 » June 3rd, 2017, 12:46 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Those Ousterling boxes are stunning!

I'm a fuddy duddy--I like the old school Jim Zee boxes, both for easy handling and because Mr. Zachary is a nice man.

I bought Craig's boxes at the Colorado Magic Convention. (Rocky Mountain Magic or something like that) in Denver. I was lucky enough to have seen they were especially made for the convention. One is a quarter box including solid slug and the other is half dollar size. Nice man who will even make custom to your favorite Dollar/Half Dollar set, if you send to him first. No more Quarter boxes, though. Amazing workmanship down to velvet bag he had made and wrapped inside. Instructions included. Highly recommended! I believe his contact info is also included. Joe Pecore posted how I had contacted him for the first time. If any problems, message me and I will post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 3rd, 2017, 7:27 pm

Here's the link to Craig's in progress site. http://primalgimcrack.com/

MikeM74
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby MikeM74 » June 5th, 2017, 12:41 am

Tom Gilbert wrote:Here's the link to Craig's in progress site. http://primalgimcrack.com/

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 17th, 2018, 9:21 am

After talking with one of my magic buddies here, I ended up connecting with Craig Ousterling, who kindly made me a set of his wonderful coin boxes.

I've completely and quickly have become a convert. The Ousterling box is built like a tank and very striking to behold. There are various textures on the exterior of the box and I really dig the darkened interior. They are taller, bigger, and heavier than the Roth and Zee boxes. The lid is more substantial as well. The box looks and feels like a fine piece of jewelry (or what a fine piece of jewelry might be stored in).

Functionally, the box is very well balanced for turnover moves and has a few other design features that help the moves along. Best of all (for me), despite rounded edges, coins perch perfectly for rim steals, and the greater height and weight aids the steal. What is also impressive is that Craig has seen some problems in other designs and has developed some clever solutions to them. For example, on many boxes, they no longer look symmetrical after a turnover due to different levels of tarnish that eventually develop on various parts of the box. He's not only solved that problem, but the solution pleasingly makes the boxes even more attractive. Some might argue that this is just a minor detail, but that would just make me tempted to misquote da Vinci. ;)

Mr. Ousterling is a great guy--friendly, helpful, with great communication (He kept me informed--with pictures!--at every step of the process.). He ships quick and as I've said the fit and finish are impeccable. About the only thing on my personal "wish list" would be a protective storage solution worthy of the box itself. This is especially true because I purchased a set. A classy wooden box (ala Porper) or maybe even custom sized leather lens cases would be very cool. I should also note that Craig can make the boxes with varying amounts of adornment, should your tastes tend toward the minimalist or the filigreed.

Finally, the boxes Mr. Ousterling offers aren't cheap. Because of this, I was hesitant initially to take the plunge. However, I've decided to learn some of the real work with the OB, so I made the investment and I'm glad I did. I suspect that if you also choose to pay the piper, you'll be getting a prop that you will be proud to use. And use it you most likely will because these are made for magic, not just sitting on a shelf somewhere. I have owned some other pretty fine boxes (Zee, Roth, Johnson, etc.) and Craig's boxes are far above them in my book. In my estimation, they are to regular Okito boxes what Sherwood cups are to regular cups. They'll all get the job done and you certainly don't need a fancy box to impress, as Roth and others prove daily. However, sometimes there is just a "rightness" about the way a prop feels in hand. It almost radiates confidence and competence. It's hard to explain, but for me, the Ousterling boxes fill that bill in spades and they are just enjoyable to use.

(Disclaimer: I have no financial or personal ties to Mr. Ousterling, nor was this a solicited or rewarded review in any way. As a thoughtful amateur looking to learn and perform a bit of serious coin box work, I paid my own cash for these. I just like to point out what I consider to be great products in case someone else in the future is looking for these types of props. These are just my personal opinions. YMMV, of course.)

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 20th, 2018, 7:44 am

Erdnasephile's review of Criag's work on the Okito boxes is right on. Craig produces some great boxes, for anyone in the market for Okito boxes they are definitely worth a look.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 20th, 2018, 10:01 am

What is Craig's website address?

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 21st, 2018, 7:45 am

Bob, it's posted a couple messages above.

Hocus1031
Favorite Magician: Don Alan

Postby Hocus1031 » May 18th, 2020, 9:37 pm

The David Roth set made by Roy Keuppers is amazing. I don't know that you need much more from a set of coin boxes.

Karnak

Postby Karnak » July 1st, 2020, 9:24 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote:I am wondering why some of the vintage boxes have a hole in the lid and bottom. Is there any advantage? I am familiar with a few routines, but none of them mentions a hole.

The popular old booklet by Mohammed Bey (S. Leo Horowitz) entitled “Okito Coin Box Routines” (1963) specifies using an Okito box with a small hole in the center of its lid and base, sized to fit a corsage needle running through it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 1st, 2020, 10:49 pm

The Bey booklet is a great place to start. The other item with larger holes in top and bottom was sold as a Fred Lowe coin box.

David Stahl's routine (in The Book of John vol 1) has some useful ideas using that coin box including moments where folks look through the holes in top and bottom right before the magic happens. I would like to see him do that last coin vanish from inside the box. It reads like a stage illusion done close up.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 5th, 2020, 12:03 pm

There are two booklets of Bey Routines. The first is Mohammed Bey's Routine With the Okito Coin Box and the second is More Mohammed Bey's Routines with the Okito Coin Box. Both were published by Holden's Magic Shop in 1953 and 1956, respectively. See now:

https://www.lybrary.com/okito-coin-box- ... 49596.html

Karnak

Postby Karnak » July 5th, 2020, 5:22 pm

So was the 1963 booklet a reprint of the two earlier separate booklets, newly put together into the same single volume?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 6th, 2020, 8:23 am

Looks like it.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”