Weird tricks that constitute "meta magic"?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Weird tricks that constitute "meta magic"?

Postby Zig Zagger » September 29th, 2015, 4:11 pm

I'm sure you have already come across some of the following phenomena in your magic life. But I'm not sure though whether there is a name for these. For the lack of a better term, I will call this thing "meta magic".

In a nutshell, meta magic is magic about itself, within itself or out of itself (if there is a difference). A deception within the deception. Tricks of meta magic quality are utterly self-referential. For that, they may constitute bad magic from a layman's point-of-view, but they may be inherently funny and stimulating for majishuns.

Here are some striking examples of meta magic I could think of:

- Doing a “torn and restored” trick with an instruction sheet that explains a "torn and restored" trick
- Showing a card trick in which a magician drawn on a blank card finds the chosen card
- Letting a burning cigarette disappear in a cloud of cigarette smoke
- Floating a Zombie ball or Losander table while floating yourself
- Sawing a woman in half while she is performing Disecto on you
- Pulling a small square circle illusion out of a bigger square circle that was pulled out of a huge square circle
- Changing a change bag into another change bag by using, umm, a square circle illusion.

I guess there is a lot more meta magic out there! Would you care to add some?
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”