where to store your bag of tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
walkinoats

where to store your bag of tricks

Postby walkinoats » July 23rd, 2002, 7:37 am

When performing walk-around at a new place, where do you store your magic bag, etc. Do you speak to someone at the party and leave it with them? Just hoping to get some suggestions from those who walk-around full time.

thanks,

Re: where to store your bag of tricks

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 7:55 am

Hi walkinoats,
No big mystery here. Asking someone in charge for a safe place and accessible place has always been fine for me. Or you can leave it in the car. Or you can pack enough stuff ON you. Or you can "live the life that some consider a myth", and use only a deck of cards. This is fun to think about, but you'll soon find yourself adding in a card wallet, a sharpie, a ring flight, an invisible deck, etc! Good luck to you. Most things about working aren't as much of a problem as you may be led to believe, what with the great amount written about them.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 12:50 pm

I like a belly bag, you can rotate it around to one side or to the back. Not a large one.

Also, use small props, like Riser's Mini Cups and Balls cups and golf ball or sponge ball loads to minimize pocket bulge. :D
Stay tooned.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 23rd, 2002, 4:02 pm

I'd rather just have everything I need in my pockets and work continuously, without having to go back and restock. I keep backups in the car for any accidents. Usually this is just an extra deck of cards in case someone drops them, but if you've got good control over the spectators you usually don't have to deal with this problem.

Jeff

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 3:43 am

After more than a decade of table hopping and walkaround work, I've found the best -- for me -- is to carry everything with me in my pockets.
And it doesn't have to be much.
Two decks of cards, rope, a paddle routine to finish (it absolutely slays!), three cards (separate) for my monte routine, and a few gag items.
If you need a case, you might be relying too much on the props and not what really counts: Your personality.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Terry

Postby Terry » July 24th, 2002, 5:06 am

I like a belly bag, you can rotate it around to one side or to the back. Not a large one .
Belly or bag????

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2002, 9:22 pm

If it doesn't fit in your pockets it isn't close-up magic. In the real world you wear a good suit and perform out of your pockets while standing. You can wear a pouch for the company picnic but not at Caesar's. Most fancy resorts and restaurants have dress requirements and rules about how much time you are to spend at each table. You don't reset between tables. You are hired to do magic not set up your tricks. There is no room on the table for a close-up pad. It's also a good idea if you don't use the same tricks every other magician seems to use. A 12 year old kid working for tips will be hired to replace you.
It's a cruel world.
Steve

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 31st, 2002, 7:50 am

If you wear a Clown outfit you can have a jacket made with pockets big enough for Hippity Hop Rabbits (one of my favorite restaurant effects) and an arm chopper... ties is great with Pribe Rib au jus. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”