Bro. John Hamman Double Turnover

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
TJD
Favorite Magician: Patrizio

Bro. John Hamman Double Turnover

Postby TJD » July 12th, 2015, 1:54 am

1) I am seeking a published source for the Bro. John Hamman double turnover from full deck. Yes, I'm aware of Secrets of Brother John Hamman but I believe the explanation only covers doubles from a packet, not a full deck, correct?

2) Specifically interested in left hand thumb placement. Also:

3) Were two cards pushed over as one (with edges perfectly squared) or did the right hand approach to square up the double prior to turnover (e.g., Martin Nash's Knockout Double)?

Sebastian B
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon/René Lavand

Re: Bro. John Hamman Double Turnover

Postby Sebastian B » July 12th, 2015, 3:49 am

Hi TJD!

The best explenation for the Hamman turnover is the Instant Doubel and triple turnover technique on page 11 - 14 in the Hamman book.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2015, 7:39 am

Correct: read my book! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Sebastian B

Postby Sebastian B » July 12th, 2015, 9:11 am

Don't just reed the book TDJ, study it from front to back and from back to front ;) Make sure to pay attention to Richards description of the psychology behind the routines as well :)

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 12th, 2015, 9:34 am

Richard? I think you need to have a stiff word with Jon! :-)

"...terse foreword of this mismanaged volume..."

"Who will accept Kaufman's still-born interpretation of Brother John's secrets?"

"He is, after all guilty of letting Kaufman botch the job."

"...Kaufman cashed in on a "name" and ended up publishing a bunch of tricks as memorable and beguiling as a lading list."

"Look at the photograph on the back dustjacket. Do you detect sadness in Brother John's eyes? Why isn't he smiling?"

Reviewed by Jon Racherbaumer - EPOPTICA issue 12, September 1989, pages 556-557

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2015, 9:42 am

I've had my word with Jon years ago and we're best of friends. He was being manipulated by the vicious and jealous Ron Bauer (a scoundrel), who was only happy to steer him to Jeff Busby.

The Secrets of Brother John Hamman was one of my best-selling books, and Brother John was effusive in his praise of the book, which he smiled and called "his baby." I'm proud of it, too.

TJD
Favorite Magician: Patrizio

Postby TJD » July 12th, 2015, 10:56 am

Thank you! To be clear: does the book provide detailed instructions for an instant, double-pushover from a FULL DECK?

Sebastian B

Postby Sebastian B » July 12th, 2015, 11:31 am

Hi TJD,

In the Hamman book Richard explaines hamman's push of Doubel lift from a full deck.

kamen0619
Favorite Magician: darly martinez and david roth

Postby kamen0619 » July 17th, 2015, 6:35 am

I've read "card play card works" manual book by kosya kimlat. Explaining about double pushover. :)

Sent from my MyPhone Agua Rio using Tapatalk

Edward Finck

Postby Edward Finck » July 20th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I've had my word with Jon years ago and we're best of friends. He was being manipulated by the vicious and jealous Ron Bauer (a scoundrel), who was only happy to steer him to Jeff Busby.

Mr. Kaufman, why cast such aspersions publicly without explanation? Ron Bauer has done many many great things for magic including creating and teaching some excellent material. He does not deserve to have his name and reputation smeared as an aside. If the facts aren't explained from your perspective, Mr. Kaufman, you might appear to be the vicious and jealous scoundrel.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Since it's your first post, you're obviously either Ron Bauer or one of his friends. I don't have to defend my comments to you.

Edward Finck

Postby Edward Finck » August 16th, 2015, 1:28 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Since it's your first post, you're obviously either Ron Bauer or one of his friends. I don't have to defend my comments to you.

Mr. Kaufman, I'm not sure what your post means, please explain. For the record I'm not Ron Bauer (can you not see my name is Ed Finck how can that be mistaken for Ron Bauer?) nor one of his personal friends (although I'm a fan of his work, most of which I've read in your Genii magazine some years ago) and I'm not sure your basis for this assumption. Is a first post somehow disqualified from being taken seriously on this forum?

E.F.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2015, 7:31 am

I take your post quite seriously, however I won't go into the details of Ron Bauer's misbehavior here. Suffice it to say that after my book came out, Brother Hamman felt betrayed by Ron Bauer and with good reason.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”