Coin and Cylinder

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
dazm123
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Coin and Cylinder

Postby dazm123 » June 28th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Hi does any one know where I can find a good set of coins for the coins to cylinder routine?

Thanks for help

Tom Gilbert

Re: Coin and Cylinder

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 28th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Todd Lassen puts out a magnetic set that's really nice, but not always available. Johnson Products has a riveted set.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 28th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Over the years I've seen many perform Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins.

Only two performed it - to my eyes - as entertainment, all the rest, regardless of how technically excellent, looked like they were trying to pass an exam.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 28th, 2015, 2:46 pm

John Carney already passed all his exams.

Matt Field

dazm123

Postby dazm123 » June 28th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Thanks. I will look into them. Carneys routine looks so damn technically difficult! Brilliant tho and I know what you mean about them looking like passing a exam lol

Any ideas for a good routine on dvd or a book. I have looked at Ramsys in his book. Could you recommend any?

dazm123

Postby dazm123 » June 28th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Over the years I've seen many perform Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins.

Only two performed it - to my eyes - as entertainment, all the rest, regardless of how technically excellent, looked like they were trying to pass an exam.

Now right there brings up a whole new topic - technique vs entertainment value!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 28th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Only this week I lent Victor Farelli's booklet on the Ramsay Cylinder and Coins to a friend. It was the original and I think published in the 40's with photos of Ramsay. I haven't compared it with Andrew Galloway's description but it would be worth looking out for.

On a side note, anything by Victor Farelli is worth checking out. Many gems are hidden in his books and booklets.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » June 28th, 2015, 4:21 pm

The Cylinder and Coins is not an easy effect to learn, although that can be said of most magic. It's the coin version of the cups and balls, which can also appear like an examination for the performer who still isn't entirely comfortable performing it. Carney's version is a streamlined rendition without the sucker parts that Ramsay incorporated into his routine. It's direct and to the point with no detours.

Eric Mead is currently working on a book of Tim Conover's magic which will include Conover's version of the C & C. It looks interesting with the addition of the beer coaster as a mini stage for the stack of coins.

I would also recommend R. Paul Wilson's version The Mystery of the Little Piece of Cork. It's in the 5 X 5 Scotland book and in volume #4 of his Extreme Possibilities DVD. The coin stack in this version is simple enough to make at home and the routine isn't really too difficult. You can obtain a nice leather cylinder from Frank Starsinic at:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/categor ... =Cylinders

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 28th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Has anyone witnessed the Wilson/Porper version--I've heard it's an excellent routine with wonderful props (not sure how it compares to the 5 X 5 routine).

I have been entertained by the routines of Mead and Carney.

As Q implies, I do think C & C has become sort of a litmus test for conjuring chops. The ability to perform the cups and balls and the classic pass also come to mind in this vein. Sort of like tamago at a sushi restaurant.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » June 28th, 2015, 7:06 pm

The 5 X 5 routine utilizes 3 silver dollars instead of 4, and the stack is simply 3 silver dollars attached together. Wilson utilizes the through the hand feint a la Ramsay in this routine. The Wilson routine with the Porper stack gaff flows along the lines of the classic effect, but with the added advantage the gaff allows. The Porper gaff allows the performer at the opening phase to show the 4 silver dollars and the empty cylinder without resorting to Ramsay's strategy of holding out the stack in finger palm.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 28th, 2015, 11:23 pm

dazm123 wrote:Hi does any one know where I can find a good set of coins for the coins to cylinder routine?

Thanks for help

You could make your own ...
http://jamesriser.com/Magic/RiserCoinStack/Stack.html
Jim

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 29th, 2015, 5:26 am

Thank you for this and the other amazing tutorials on your aite, Jim!

Matt Field

Joneseymagic

Postby Joneseymagic » June 29th, 2015, 6:31 am

I perform the C&C. I use the Lassen magnetic stack and a cylinder made by Thomas Wayne. I don't know if the cylinders are available any more, but if you can track one down I highly recommend you buy it - it's a thing of beauty!

In addition to the routines mentioned, my friend Pete Wardell has published his excellent handling in his lecture notes which are well worth tracking down.

Dave Jones

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » June 29th, 2015, 9:51 am

Jim Riser's generosity knows no bounds. His knowledge and technical prowess are second to none and I consider him to be a gift to magic like no other...

Thanks again, Jim, for supporting our community and providing the perfect balance of technology and arcane knowledge...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Dai Vernon's handling might be of interest because it essentially removes all the feints and is more straightforward. We also included a DVD in an issue of Genii that showed John Ramsay performing the routine.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » June 29th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I have had the privilege of seeing C&C performed by Andy Galloway, John Carney, Eric Mead and R.Paul Wilson.

In the right hands this is not a test.

It is Poetry!

dazm123

Postby dazm123 » June 29th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the info.
Wow Pete Wardell I have seen his street show in Covent Garden. What a brilliant magiciand and a really fun guy!

Terry

Postby Terry » June 30th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Hannibal has a nice routine on his DVD set

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 3rd, 2015, 11:48 am

A number of years ago I saw Mike Kaminskas perform the C & C and he did a beautiful job of it. His wand caught my attention and it turned out to be a Jim Riser ebony wand. I moved fast and acquired one like it from Mr. Riser. My C & C routine still doesn't look as nice as Mike's...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 3rd, 2015, 3:13 pm

I found an old MC thread from 2010 where Pete Biro mentioned that Dean Dill had some great work on C & C. Does anyone know if Dean ever released it?

Terry

Postby Terry » July 5th, 2015, 11:26 am

Return to “Close-Up Magic”