Watch face card glimpse

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
submariner
Favorite Magician: steve valentine

Watch face card glimpse

Postby submariner » June 4th, 2015, 6:47 pm

I am looking for a reference to getting a card glimpse using a reflective watch face. Specifically, the reference (of course I can't remember the name of the reference) referred to using a Movado watch face for getting a glimpse. I remember reading it by cannot locate where I read it.

Thanks,
Roy
Key Metric of a Successful Submarine Career - The number of dives and surfaces should always total to an even number.

submariner

Re: Watch face card glimpse

Postby submariner » June 4th, 2015, 6:56 pm

I found the answer right after I posted this. Linking Ring Vol. 82. No. 10, page 94 by Dennis Marks, the Movado Miracle. I found the reference in Nathan Kranzo's book, The Peek Book.

Thanks,
Roy
Key Metric of a Successful Submarine Career - The number of dives and surfaces should always total to an even number.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 4th, 2015, 8:47 pm

It's a good idea!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

submariner

Postby submariner » June 17th, 2015, 10:39 am

I am sure that every glimpse/glim device known to man has been documented somewhere. But, in searching for a small knife to keep in my pocket to open card decks, I came across a combined money clip/knife/finger nail file which has a very shiny surface. It works great as a shiner/glim since I have a motivation to get it out to slice the card deck seal and then I put it on the table next to the deck. I also had mine engraved on the shiny side so it breaks up the shiny surface such that it does not look like a mirror. The engraving does not impact the ability to see the reflection in the surface but helps remove any suspicion that it is being used as a mirror.

Here are some examples. The one I have was a shiny surface but even a brushed surface can be polished into a mirrored surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Fury-Money-Blade- ... money+clip

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Compact-G ... money+clip

Joe Hanosek

Postby Joe Hanosek » June 17th, 2015, 11:36 am

John Cornelius had an interesting glimpse using a polished clasp on metal watch band.

submariner

Postby submariner » June 24th, 2015, 11:16 am

I did some research on the above post. John Cornelius' watch band glimpse is found in the Magic of John Cornelius on Page 9 and is called Moonshine Locations.

I have also found that the end of the bent clip of the money clip can be bent adequately such that just the clip end can be used for a glimpse.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”