Gary Kurtz coins across

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
degrisy
Favorite Magician: Tamariz

Gary Kurtz coins across

Postby degrisy » April 6th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I recall that more than twenty years ago Gary Kurtz showed me, before one of his conferences, a coin across routine that was oustanding, very clever, without suspicious moves, very fluid and visual.

I do not recall if it was done with 3 or 4 coins, but I am quite sure that one of the coins passed from a grip between the second and third fingers (backside) while the extended hand, that held one or more coins flat on the palm to hide it, was jerked upside down (even if I am not completely sure that this is really part of the method or a speculation of mine).

Gary Kurtz told me something about Chris Kenner and that the routine was not his own. I checked Chris routines, in particular Menage et trois, but I do not think it is exatly the same, especially the last coin. Also I recall that Gary Kurtz left me on his left side while executing the routine (the coins passed from the left hand to the right one), while in the Kenner routine this is unnecessary.

Now I would like to know if somebody recalls Gary Kurtz executing this routine and if it can be found recorded on some tape, dvd or somewhere on the internet. Thank you.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Curtis Kam

Re: Gary Kurtz coins across

Postby Curtis Kam » April 6th, 2015, 5:59 pm

There are two Kurtz coins acrosses that I'm aware of that use the deep backclip. The first uses three coins, and is part of Full Frontal Assault. The second is the G.K. Coins Across that appears in Continuations...Departures 1. The latter routine has the spectator standing to the performer's right. The routine from Full Frontal Assault seems to recommend this, but does not rely on that positioning. to the same extent.

Full Frontal Assault is a long routine, and a lot happens. Near the middle (sometimes) there is the coins across sequence. I say sometimes, because the routine is modular, and seems to change, depending on the moment. There is video of one incarnation of FFA on a Stevens' Magic Emporium tape, but I'mnot sure if the coins across phase appears there. Other than that, you're limited to Gary's lecture notes, which are named above.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 6th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Perhaps he's talking about that inertial deep back clip recovery under the slight arm drop - where a coin appears?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » April 12th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Another coins across source that uses beautiful backclip/inertia recovery is Homer Liwag's Coin One (I think it was first published as 4 coins and a Filippino in Kenner's Magic Man Examiner). I've been doing that since the late 90's and it is remarkable how little problems exist in spite of the backclipping angles. Worth checking out.

Suresh

Postby Suresh » October 29th, 2016, 12:32 am

Gary Kurtz's performance. Perhaps Jay Sankey's Mr. Clean Coins Across is relevant to just one tiny part of Kurtz's full frontal assault.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 29th, 2016, 12:59 am

i believe the routine mentioned by the OP is The Deep from Kenner's book Totally Out Of Control, page 112.

I believe it's also taught on Homer Liwag's DVD COINONE.

The move described is called Palm Appearance in TOOC and is described on page 114. Denis Behr's site credits it to Homer Liwag and Gary Kurtz.

That's all I got.

degrisy
Favorite Magician: Tamariz

Postby degrisy » November 28th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I think that I have finally found the routine executed by Kurtz so many years ago: it is by Dai Vernon and Arthur Findley and it can be found on MAJ ('Crossed Destinies', March 1987 issue). Believe me, this is a masterpiece.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Return to “Close-Up Magic”