When two become one

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

When two become one

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2002, 8:41 am

I'm sure I can already hear a lot of you shouting 'Just practice more!' - but here goes anyway....

When I'm practising a push off second deal, occasionally I go to 'take the top card' with my right hand - and nothing comes away - since I've not succesfully pushed a double off with my left thumb and I've then retracted the top card with my left thumb in the normal rhythm. Thankfully, on the few occasions that I've used a push-off second in front of people, this has not happened (yet).

I was wondering whether anyone has been using a push-off second in performance, 'missed' the second (as described above) - and then had to recover. If so - how did you do it?

If it helps - imagine it's Bill Simon's Call to the Colors - and you can feel that you've 'missed' on one of the deals. What would you do?

If you think this is a stupid question - and think that if you practice enough it will *NEVER* happen that you miss - then fair enough - just tell me this is a dumb question.

However, if it's happened to you - I'd like to hear how you rescued yourself

Cheers

Derek

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Re: When two become one

Postby Thomas Van Aken » February 8th, 2002, 9:26 am

The problem you mention is what make (in my opinion) pushoff second so difficult: you are never 100% sure that next time you will not push 1 or 3. I personnaly favor Vernon's pushoff second where you have to push one THEN one more (sound confusing ? Check "Inner's secret trilogy")
Thomas

Re: When two become one

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2002, 11:24 am

The problem your refering to is called catching air. And I agree with Thomas, this is what makes a push off second so difficult. You could try doing a strike second. I use the one from The Phantom of the Card Table. Although it is still possible to end up with an empty hand, it is more unlikely. Or you could just practice more.

Mike :)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”