Wine Glass Smash

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Wine Glass Smash

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2003, 12:01 pm

Hi Folks

I'm not entirely sure that this is the correct sub-section for this post - but I think 'Close Up' is probably it.

I was just wondering where I can find the workings of the effect that David Blaine had in one of his TV specials (perhaps the Vertigo special) in which a wine-glass smashes?

I suspect a similar effect could be achieved through resonance - but it seems unlikely.

Incidentally, several years ago while we were enjoying our Christmas dinner, a wine-glass that was sitting on the table spontaneously smashed. No-one was remotely near it. I don't believe there were any 'psychic' phenomena involved (who would!) - and suspect either some form of fatigue or resonance effect. Perhaps there's a material scientist (or anyone) that might provide an explanation?

Cheers

D

Pete Biro

Re: Wine Glass Smash

Postby Pete Biro » April 25th, 2003, 5:06 pm

You could use an off-stage assistant with a rifle. :D

Or, as we did, we had a table with a spring loaded hammer that came up, hit glass and went back into the table at the other side.
:)
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2003, 6:06 pm

Are there really people that can do this with their singing voice?

Terry

Postby Terry » April 26th, 2003, 5:53 am

Are there really people that can do this with their singing voice?

I've heard of people who sang sooo badly that animals went sterile :D

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 26th, 2003, 7:18 am

A few years ago there was a clip on Tomorrow's World (a popular science show in the UK) where an Opera singer listened to the resonant note of a wine glass as it was 'pinged' and then sang the same note for a while and the glass smashed.

Many years later we did the same effect in the Science Festival, but we had to use a tone generator and a lagged box. I mentioned to the others the clip I had seen and the concensus was that they faked it :(

Theoretically all you would need is a loud note at the right pitch for a long time, so I still believe the woman did it for real.

Take care, Ian

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 26th, 2003, 11:42 am

Is there some way you could pre-stress the glass, like Rupert's Pearls or tempered car window glass?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 26th, 2003, 2:49 pm

If you brought any flaw into the glass it would affect the resonance, and the effect would be compromised.

Ian

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » April 27th, 2003, 11:47 am

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » April 27th, 2003, 11:52 am

Please disregard the above. I had just read the other and as I was reading this thread....got a bit a head of myself and confused. Apologies!

:help:

Return to “Close-Up Magic”