RG Location vs. Aronson's UnDo Influence

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
JHostler

RG Location vs. Aronson's UnDo Influence

Postby JHostler » January 24th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Having abandoned (to my regret) a copy of Aronson's "Try the Impossible" many moons ago, I lack an immediate reference... but don't recall the book crediting Richard Goldshot's "RG Location" (from the 9/84 issue of Apocalypse) as a precedent for "UnDo." The mathematical principle at the heart of Aronson's discovery is identical to that responsible for the Goldshot effect. Simon took it a step further by leveraging the thing for two locations.

Would anyone happen to know of earlier applications? I can't help but think a clever magician or three stumbled upon this principle long before 1984.

Advance thanks,

John
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: RG Location vs. Aronson's UnDo Influence

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 25th, 2015, 12:28 am

Ho John--I just pulled my copy of Try the Impossible off the shelf to see what I could do for you. The UnDo Influence is an amazing tool for locating 2 selections. Aronson doesn't mention Mr. Goldshot (or Goldfinger for that matter) but credits Alex Elmsley's "No-Calc" published in 1998 in John Derris' Come a Little Closer as his initial inspiration. Elmsley noted that his effect was inspired by Jack Avis' "Calcolate" which was published in the August 1958 issue of The Gen. The Avis effect is limited to the selection of a single card.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 25th, 2015, 9:51 am

A trick I always felt had a similar feel to this one is 'KORADOR' by Stewart James.

You can find the Stewart James trick on page 946 of STEWART JAMES IN PRINT - THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS [NEW TOPS - APRIL 1968].

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 25th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Thanks, Joe & Leonard. Time to start sifting through pubs!
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

jmbulg
Favorite Magician: behr

Postby jmbulg » June 27th, 2015, 8:58 am

Hi

I'm new here and I hope that the way I revive the topic is ok. In fact, I would like to know if some of you would be interested in a generalization of the UnDo Influence control to three and more cards ? I prepared a text and some tricks around it and close to something I could send around.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jean-Marie

JHostler

Postby JHostler » June 28th, 2015, 8:33 pm

jmbulg wrote:Hi

I'm new here and I hope that the way I revive the topic is ok. In fact, I would like to know if some of you would be interested in a generalization of the UnDo Influence control to three and more cards ? I prepared a text and some tricks around it and close to something I could send around.

Jean-Marie

Multiple cards can be handled effectively with Gene Finnell's "Free Cut" principle, but I'm curious whatcha got. (In fact, the Free Cut principle itself is horribly underutilized - in part due to how magicians have traditionally handled the cuts. This handling can be modified to make the procedure appear completely natural...)

JustCards

Postby JustCards » June 28th, 2015, 11:17 pm

Jean-Marie
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Simon's Undo Influence. Count me among those who would really like to see your work with 3 or more selections.

jmbulg

Postby jmbulg » July 3rd, 2015, 8:55 am

JHostler wrote:
Multiple cards can be handled effectively with Gene Finnell's "Free Cut" principle, but I'm curious whatcha got. (In fact, the Free Cut principle itself is horribly underutilized - in part due to how magicians have traditionally handled the cuts. This handling can be modified to make the procedure appear completely natural...)

I will try to get hands on the reference which I do not know. The generalization I have has the same handling as the two card control of Aronson: cuts by spectators one after the other (with constraints imposed by indicator cards). Recollection of cuts as in the two card control and then break up of the deck at indicator locations and reordering of the five packets (in the case four cards are controlled), after which the positions of the four selections are known.

I hope this does not sound too much similar to Gene Finnell's "Free cut", otherwise I reinvented the wheel.

jmbulg

Postby jmbulg » August 25th, 2015, 10:01 am

Hi

The idea of generalizing the UnDo influence to more than two cards is now fully described and for members of TSD or The Peeble available at

The Second Deal
https://theseconddeal.com/index.php/for ... sion/10063

The Peeble
http://www.lancepierce.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7961

Otherwise PM me and I can provide you with my .pdf file

Jean-Marie

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » August 26th, 2015, 5:05 pm

The idea of generalizing the UnDo influence to more than two cards is now fully described and for members of TSD or The Peeble available at

The Second Deal
https://theseconddeal.com/index.php/for ... sion/10063

The Peeble
http://www.lancepierce.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7961

Otherwise PM me and I can provide you with my .pdf file

Jean-Marie

Saw it on the pebble. Very clever stuff.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » August 26th, 2015, 5:06 pm

I like the idea.
Andres Reynoso

jmbulg

Postby jmbulg » August 30th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

jmbulg

Postby jmbulg » September 14th, 2015, 7:30 am

Hi

If there is still someone who would like a copy of the manuscript, let me know; as a more complete text (with probably 28 more advanced effects) is close to completion, we will take out the free text in a near future.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Return to “Close-Up Magic”