Question about TW's 2 Cup Routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Question about TW's 2 Cup Routine

Postby erdnasephile » November 28th, 2014, 10:37 pm

I'm starting to explore the various "classic" cups and balls routines. I was wondering if anyone here has used Tommy Wonder's 2 Cup Routine for laypersons and what responses have they gotten.

The reason I'm asking is that for the majority of the routines I've studied, the final loads are what the audience is going to remember. In most routines, the desired magic effect is that the loads appear from nowhere--a true appearance as it were.

However, in the TW routine, the final load sequence is a much different effect: it's more like: two large objects on the table transport into the cups.

In thinking of how this might be perceived, I would suspect an audience member would think: "He snuck that pom pom and the bag into the cups while we weren't looking. He must have fast hands!"

No doubt this sort of climax can be very effective. (For example: Goshman's salt shakers or Heba Heba Al's Card Under the Drink.) However, it's not usually what I drive at when considering effects to put in a show.

It's not a surprise why TW's routine is a favorite amongst magicians--many love and admire being so completely misdirected; however, I wonder if laypersons love this routine the same way they would enjoy a more traditional cups and balls routine with the classic final loads (assuming both routines are presented equally well).

Brad Jeffers

Re: Question about TW's 2 Cup Routine

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 29th, 2014, 3:35 am

I can't say which routine is better, but if you want the complete set of props for Tommy Wonders's routine, they are now available from Joe Stevens ...

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 29th, 2014, 5:11 am

In the chapter on presentation in Expert Card Technique you see that magicians are divided into three categories:

the omnipotent one
the naturally funny one
the 'regular' person who has studied his craft and in spite of his best efforts the magic occasionally takes over.

Tommy Wonder fell into the third category above. So many of his routines, The Tamed Card, The Reversed Card, Cups and Balls, start off where he goes to perform some strong magic, yet other magic happens on its own, regardless of how hard he tries to stop it. There is conflict between the magician and the magic he is endeavouring to create. This creates drama. The drama hooks the audience in.

It is the classic storytelling scenario:

Get the hero up a tree
Throw rocks at him
Resolve the situation.

There is so much more in the TW Cups and Balls than any other C&B routine I can recall.

When you read many of the older books you can find some fabulous presentations with in built conflict and drama that simply draw the audience in and create a strong emotional impact. In the right context Paul Rosini's Gambler's Trick from ECT or the Conus Aces from the recent Genii double issue will create a sensation.

So to answer your question with another. Can your character play the part convincingly?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 30th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:...So to answer your question with another. Can your character play the part convincingly?

Hi, Q--appreciate your thoughtful response.

Indeed, that is the key question, isn't it? I have avoided considering certain routines in the past because their acting requirements were above my pay grade ("Deja Vu Reverse" and Sawa's "Cry Baby" come to mind).

However, I do think TW's routine does lend itself to other presentational approaches that are different from the magic "occasionally takes over", but might fit me a little better. For example, perhaps a more tongue in cheek presentation (e.g., the reason the balls go to the other cup is because they are afraid of the big blue pom-pom, etc.) I'm still thinking about how my personality best interfaces with the trick to create the drama of which you speak.

I realize it's the magician's job to create a presentation that emotionally hooks the audience to such an extent they don't even want to know "How?". I think TW himself said in an interview that to him, presentation is more important than method.

However, I also know that some people (including me) process the world in a less emotional fashion; hence, my question with regards to how a hypothetical audience member might analyze the two effects when thinking about the routine later. I keep coming back to the idea that it may be more fooling to have things appear out of nowhere, but I'm not sure.

PS: Just noticed there is a DVD for sale called "Tommy Wonder's 2 Cup Routine" http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/tommy-won ... HviB00tDuo

Does anyone own this DVD? Is it worth getting if you already own the TW L and L DVD's?

PPS: SME sold out within minutes of the TW sets.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”