I Hate Matrix Effects!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: I Hate Matrix Effects!

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2005, 11:28 am

What entertainment value is there in making coins switch positions
Well.... that is up to the performer. I'm sure Al Schneider, David Williamson, Dean Dill & Armando (etc) all have different answers to that question.

Along similar lines... You might ask Lance Burton where is the entertainment value in producing cards and birds?
Magic without meaning renders the effect as merely a trick, and onlookers invest no credability in it or its performer.
The Lance Burton analogy fits this comment as well (someone needs to tell Lance his FISM act has no credability!)

Note: I do believe the performance of 'real' magic is a higher art form... I also believe when it's poorly executed (as it often is) the performers credability is harmed.

IMO: There are MANY correct approaches to our craft... limiting yourself to one belief system... is just that... limiting.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 11th, 2005, 12:57 pm

My all-time favorite act in the Magic Castle Close-up Gallery was Albert Goshman's. Albert performed TWO matrix effects, one with bottle caps, one with cards under a newspaper. He did them both without speaking, to music. There was no "meaning," just magic. The audiences loved it, as they did the rest of the act.

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » March 11th, 2005, 1:33 pm

If you ever run into Steve Dobson, ask him to show you his matrix. It's beautiful.

Grant

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » March 11th, 2005, 7:54 pm

Originally posted by Robert Kane:
I use Gerry Griffen's version and it never fails to get an excellent response.
I'm gonna second this. Though I'm not a coin kinda guy, Griffin showed me his "magicians only" (his words) matrix and it was just peachy.

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2005, 12:56 am

Originally posted by D. Conn:

Along similar lines... You might ask Lance Burton where is the entertainment value in producing cards and birds?
Actually I do ask the question now.

But don't get me wrong. Lance Burton's act, to keep to your example, is smoother than a cashmere codpiece. I highly respect him both as a man and as a performer. Heck, I used to really love manipulation acts. Growing up watching Johnny Hart abd Cardini really rang my bell. But now I can see the division between magician's thinking and that of an audience. This was spawned from listening to a layman describe a magic act that he had seen whilst on holiday: "He came on and produced a bird, for .. well .. no apparent reason. Then after his 100th card I could see no diffeence between that and the first card". Possibly and extremist view (in our eyes) but nevertheless it made me think.

I still love such acts. It's just that I view them rather differently now. No worse, just differently.

Originally posted by D. Conn:

IMO: There are MANY correct approaches to our craft... limiting yourself to one belief system... is just that... limiting.
This is very true. But questioning ourselves helps us evolve, which is necessary for survival.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » March 12th, 2005, 5:40 am

Growing up watching Johnny Hart and Cardini really rang my bell. But now I can see the division between magician's thinking and that of an audience.
Actually, all this search for meaning in magic is an example par excellence of "magician think". If you fool an audience badly, you'll give them all the meaning they need. An spectator at the end asks "how the hell did he do it", not "what the hell did it mean".

This is not to say an act shouldn't be entertainingly presented. (Gee, I can't think of a more artistic performer than Cardini). It's just that the ultimate meaning of the magic is the experience of being fooled.

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2005, 6:58 am

Originally posted by Bob Coyne:
Growing up watching Johnny Hart and Cardini really rang my bell. But now I can see the division between magician's thinking and that of an audience.
Actually, all this search for meaning in magic is an example par excellence of "magician think". If you fool an audience badly, you'll give them all the meaning they need. An spectator at the end asks "how the hell did he do it", not "what the hell did it mean".

This is not to say an act shouldn't be entertainingly presented. (Gee, I can't think of a more artistic performer than Cardini). It's just that the ultimate meaning of the magic is the experience of being fooled.
Fair points well made.

Perhaps the word 'context' would be more appropriate, after due consideration.

Consider a performer entering a stage containing an empty birdcage, which he conveys to the audience as to be 'incomplete' without an occupant. He then looks around with expectant urgancy, even displaying a box of bird seed in the hope of attracting his goal. Then, in an effort to resolve his inner conflict, he produced a bird to fill the void. This would be my definition of meaning.

But to produce the bird, just because he can, is merely an orpaned climax.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » March 12th, 2005, 7:58 am

Consider a performer entering a stage containing an empty birdcage, which he conveys to the audience as to be 'incomplete' without an occupant. He then looks around with expectant urgancy, even displaying a box of bird seed in the hope of attracting his goal. Then, in an effort to resolve his inner conflict, he produced a bird to fill the void. This would be my definition of meaning.
I would call this "motivation" rather than "meaning" (to avoid conflating it with deeper senses of meaning), but I entirely agree with the point. It's the performer's job to create the proper context to motivate and propel every action. Doing so makes the performance both more entertaining and deceptive.

In the case of Matrix, I think the internal logic of the effect creates much of the motivation and forward movement. It's much like cups and balls in that respect -- one "magical event" sets up the context for the next.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » March 12th, 2005, 9:19 am

Mr Conn,

nice handling on the Takagi's version. Just as a note I think you have his name wrong. I am pretty sure is Shigueo not Sheguio, but I don't have the book handy to check the spelling. ;)

I enjoyed Cummin's version. Very nice and logical. This summer hopefully I'll watch Armando Lucero, I can't wait to see him.
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Shigeo Takagi
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Re: Takagi Spelling

Whoops... I'll be sure and fix that next time I sit down to do some editing... thanks for the heads up.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Die Vernon and Ed Marlow thank you
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 13th, 2005, 12:55 am

As does David Berglass, Michael Finey and Whity Haydn. :D

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2005, 6:43 am

I thought it was "Day" Vernon ?!? ;)

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » March 17th, 2005, 10:22 am

Bob,

Motivation! That's the word I've been looking for. You've hit the nail on the head!

Carl

Johnny Mystic

Postby Johnny Mystic » March 19th, 2005, 5:09 pm

The only effects I do not like are poorly contrived ones that are hastily rushed too market for a quick buck.

johny

Return to “Close-Up Magic”