In the Beginning . . .

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Rich Green

In the Beginning . . .

Postby Rich Green » September 2nd, 2014, 1:22 am

Hi everyone,

Here is a question for the cups and balls experts: What is the earliest published cups and balls routine?

Thanks,
Richard

Bill Mullins

Re: In the Beginning . . .

Postby Bill Mullins » September 2nd, 2014, 2:13 am

From a letter from Alciphron of Athens:

"One thing I saw rendered me almost speechless and made me gape with surprise. A man came forward and placed on a three-legged table three small dishes, under which he concealed some little, white round pebbles. These he placed one by one under the dishes, and then, I do not know how, he made them disappear altogether from under one."At other times he made them disappear from beneath the dishes,and showed them in his mouth. Next, when he had swallowed them,he brought those who stood nearest him into the middle, and then pulled one stone from the nose, another from the ear, and another from the head of the man standing near him. Finally, he caused the stones to vanish from the sight of everyone." Alciphron lived around 200 AD.

From a wikipedia footnote:
"Seneca's 45th Epistle to Lucilius: "Sic ista sine noxa decipiunt quomodo praestigiatorum acetabula et calculi, in quibus me fallacia ipsa delectat. Effice ut quomodo fiat intellegam: perdidi lusum." translates to "Such quibbles are just as harmlessly deceptive as the juggler's cup and dice, in which it is the very trickery that pleases me. But show me how the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."" Seneca lived during the time of Christ.

Rich Green

Re: In the Beginning . . .

Postby Rich Green » September 2nd, 2014, 2:28 am

Thanks Bill. That exceeded what I was hoping for! I was really looking for the earliest method-based routine, but your post got me thinking of and old idea I once played with and then forgot about. The mention of vanishing the stones in the mouth reminded me of a routine I toyed with a long time ago that used candy. Toward the end, I would begin trying to eat the candy, but it kept appearing under the cups. The final loads began with a large marshmallow then an apple, from which I would take a bite, then I would find an onion and a potato which I would confusingly consider eating, but wouldn't. I thought the last two loads would be funny in contrast with the sweets. I've done my current routine now for about 15 years now and I'm looking for some inspiration. Maybe I'll play with the food idea again.

Thanks,
Richard

Return to “Close-Up Magic”