A Magicians Dilemma.

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Waterman
Favorite Magician: Don Alan

A Magicians Dilemma.

Postby Waterman » July 6th, 2014, 1:06 pm

At 37 years of age, my friend Marcus has been an ardent student of magic for over 3/4 of his life. His technical skills are limited to what many would consider "beginner level", but what he does with those skills is a true testament of less-is-more thinking when applied to the art of close up magic. He keeps routines simple to follow and magically powerful through clever routine construction and his choice of time tested material. People often walk away from his performances not only amazed, but honored to be in the company of a genuinely humble and entertaining individual...which he is.

Marcus, despite his natural performing ability and sound skills as a magician , has found that there is little opportunity to actually perform for public audiences. Some might say that it is his own fault. The thought of working the streets as a "busker" and/or working restaurant venues is not what he feels to be the most dignified format for presenting magic as an art form. Unless the magic is the center of attention rather than a diversion for a hungry customer at a local eatery, or a "sideshow" attraction at a Saturday market, Marcus would rather not perform magic than opt for the typical scenarios where a lay audience is most likely going to be exposed to the type of magic he specializes in.

If I didn't know Marcus personally, I would consider his attitude snobbish. He is far from it. Not being the type to resort to magic blogs and forum based websites for advice, Marcus has tried to pursue opportunities where the magic performance is the central focus for the audience, the most recent being a one man show in a small,but classy intimate theater. The show was well received by those who attended, but costs were an issue in renting the theater space and advertising. As a result, his engagement at the theater was limited to just a couple of months.

The most recent advice that Marcus has received in response to his dilemma was from a local magician who has been performing since the 1960's. This seasoned performer tried to convince Marcus that the venues he chooses to ignore as performance options are in fact the venues that he should be pursuing (as well as trade shows, corporate functions, and other venues where the magic is more a diversion than it is the focus of the event yet can still be performed to an impressive level and be considered by those witnessing it as "art").The logic behind Seasoned Magician's point of view is that these are the venues for which close-up magic was founded and originally performed. To try and change this would be as futile as aspiring to have a paint-by-numbers still life displayed at an art museum. The more I contemplate the situation, the more inclined I am to side with SM...the question now is what are the opinions of those who may be more qualified than myself or Seasoned Magician to help Marcus bring his magic to the masses?

NYCJoePItt

Re: A Magicians Dilemma.

Postby NYCJoePItt » July 6th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Has your pal considered doing performances for charitable foundations? It sounds like he wants a more sophisticated audience, so perhaps he should pick some more mature, developed charities in his home town or area. Those that would have access to venues that would donate the performance space. This way his overhead is very low and he is getting the opportunity to perform and doing a good deed as well.

Waterman
Favorite Magician: Don Alan

Re: A Magicians Dilemma.

Postby Waterman » July 8th, 2014, 3:24 pm

NYCJoePItt wrote:Has your pal considered doing performances for charitable foundations? It sounds like he wants a more sophisticated audience, so perhaps he should pick some more mature, developed charities in his home town or area. Those that would have access to venues that would donate the performance space. This way his overhead is very low and he is getting the opportunity to perform and doing a good deed as well.

Yes he has...in fact he has been approached to perform for organizations that would at first indicate a more sophisticated audience, but what they are looking for is kids show magic...many laypeople (if not most) don't get that there are magicians who perform only to adult audiences. A local country club recently told him that they would rather spend money on music/live bands when it comes to adult only events regardless of how sophisticated a magic act might be...

Return to “Close-Up Magic”