Dani DaOrtiz on TV

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
MartinKaplan

Dani DaOrtiz on TV

Postby MartinKaplan » May 22nd, 2014, 12:59 pm

Here is a link to Dani performing ACAAN last night. He also performs several other miracles.

http://www.antena3.com/programas/el-hor ... 00369.html

Nooner

Re: Dani DaOrtiz on TV

Postby Nooner » May 22nd, 2014, 10:04 pm

Amazing performance. The matrix portion was so fluid that it really did look like real magic. As I was not able to understand the language, was the 8 of spades named by one of the spectators before the reveal of the 1st part or just the position of the 8 of spades?

Alfred

Postby Alfred » May 23rd, 2014, 2:59 am

Nooner wrote:... was the 8 of spades named by one of the spectators before the reveal of the 1st part or just the position of the 8 of spades?

Well, the wording plays an important role in the performance. At the beginning Dani asks the spectator on his right to think any number, something between 1 and 20 (this is almost muttered), stressing that it has to be high and difficult. He then addresses to the spectator on his left and asks him to think any playing card, stressing that it can be anyone as he shows the faces of the cards. The spectators are told to keep both the number and card secret.

Afterwards, both Dani and Luis explain what's going to happen, what kind of effect is ACAAN. Then Dani asks for the number, the man on his right says 7 (at 1:28 in the video), Dani suggests him that it's quite a low number and asks him whether he would like to change it to a higher and more difficult one, stressing that it can really be any number. The spectator decides to change and settles his mind on 17 while Dani doesn't pay attention to him and while he is addressing to the spectator on his left. The name of the thought of card is not revealed until the very last moment, just before showing the 17th card.

Hope the video is now more understandable.

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » July 10th, 2014, 2:34 pm

This was great! Thanks for posting this video. I really like Piedrahita's style, very comedic.

Roberto

MManchester

Postby MManchester » July 10th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Nooner wrote:The matrix portion was so fluid that it really did look like real magic.

Indeed. Being unable to understand Spanish, the visual strength of the matrix was much more satisfying despite ACAAN getting so much attention in recent years.

I'm most familiar with the use of cards in a matrix effect. Magicpedia defines it as such, describing the effect as a "card and coin trick in which four coins are covered by four cards and they start magically assemble, one by one, under one card."

But eliminating the cards is much more powerful. As Nooner says it looks like real magic when your hands just float over the items. I would love to learn this. It seems like something you could do anywhere that doesn't require elaborate setup.

Dani appears to teach this exact routine on Disc 2 of his Utopia album for the Essential Magic Collection. Considering the recent discussion of racism in magic, it's unfortunate that the decision was made to title the effect Torn & Restored Chink a Chink rather than calling it a matrix.

http://essentialmagiccollection.com/alb ... tiz-utopia
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2014, 9:50 pm

We've been trying to get away from the use of "Chink a Chink" for years, but it's not easy. 25 years ago, in David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, I used the title "Chinese Coin Assembly" or something like that. But it didn't stick.

Plus, "Chink a Chink" may refer to the sound the items make rather than any Oriental reference--I've never really had that clarified. It may not be as offensive as, say, U.F. Grant's "Chink Can" about which there is no doubt because of the painting of the person on it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 10th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Are you presuming a racist intent when a trick is called "Chink a Chink"? The earliest mention I can find of that title is in a Mar 1927 Sphinx ad, in which the phrase is used as a magic incantation. (and it is also a patter line for the effect in Kaufman's book 5X5 Scotland). The trick is Rosini's and Horowitz's. Horowitz, in a 1939 Sphinx article, talks about having seen Malini do a version called "Chinky Chink", so the name may have originated with Malini.

Nowhere in early accounts do I see anyone saying Chink = Chinese.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Malini used sugar cubes that would not have made much sound when hitting one another, certainly no sound that could be construed as a "chinking" sound of, say, one metallic object hitting another. I know it comes from Malini, the question is why did he say "Chinkey Chink"? Goshman used the same words, by the way.

Once a word becomes attached to different associations (for racial or sexual reasons) it's impossible to get away from that. One can no longer be happy and gay ... unless you're gay. You can't say the man's name D*i*c*k without people [censored] and making jokes in their own minds within seconds. Even the word "niggling," which you might well use about the verbal hair-splitting that's going on right here, can be negatively perceived for various reasons.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 10th, 2014, 11:03 pm

I think the chink = sound-of-a-coin is a made-up explanation after the fact. Everything I've found out indicates that "chink-a-chink" is merely a contrived magic word from an eastern-European Jew whose command of English was creative, at best.

I'd be careful where I use the phrase, but I don't feel a need to banish it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 11th, 2014, 12:19 am

say it really fast and it becomes a sound effect, not a series of words. almost mechanical in nature.

not a bad "'magic moment" especially for moving objects.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 11th, 2014, 12:21 am

Here's more Dani and Luis on a previous segment of that TV Show: (Good stuff!)

http://www.antena3.com/programas/el-hor ... 00370.html

MManchester

Postby MManchester » July 11th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I think clink-a-clink does a better job of suggesting the sound coins make when connecting. Those who are old enough will know the reference but it removes the potentially offensive term for current generations. For any object that doesn't make a sound, matrix would seem suitable or offer a more creative title. But historical use seems to have the edge.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2014, 2:59 pm

The trick was never done with coins. You are confusing Yank Hoe's "Sympathetic Coins" with Malini's trick with lumps of sugar. This error often happens now because when David Roth removed the cards from the "Sympathetic Coins," he called it "Chink a Chink."

Al Schneider's "Matrix" is a version of Yank Hoe's trick. "Matrix" should refer only to Al's handling, and not to any other four-coin assembly, but it's been widely adopted as referring any any coin assembly.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 12th, 2014, 4:13 am

Not to lead us too far from Dani's terrific performance, but the etiology of the "Chink-a-Chink" name for the trick is puzzling. Sachs called the trick "A Japanese Sugar Trick" and suggests that the performer "Hatch up a long rigamarole about one piece being the Emperor of Japan..." etc. The magic word he suggests is "Pass".

Later, Harlan Tarbell calls the trick "Chink-a-Chink" and suggests it be done with metal weights, which he offers to supply at a reasonable price. The illustrations leave little doubt that the appellation is a racial reference. He also notes that "society performer Max Malini performs Chink-a-Chink with lumps of sugar." Tarbell seems to suggest that the name of the trick predates Malini, but it's possible that he simply didn't know.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2014, 11:50 am

Curtis, thanks for that wonderful bit of research!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”