It's the suit

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

It's the suit

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2004, 8:28 am

This is not the usual magic-board topic. Since men dominate magic, some may scoff at this, but it's something that I think about.

I just bought a couple new $500 suits for my new restaurant gigs, and find that certain people respond better to me because of my new fashion statement. I get more tips because of it, for example, and find that the suit is paying for itself.

In addition, I know that restaurant owners and GMs respond to me as if I am more charming and authoritative, and getting new gigs, if they're imminent, is more of a slam-dunk (I've landed two new weekly gigs in the past three weeks).

I must confess, however, that I walk around doing magic with a bit more trepidation. I don't want to get ketchup on my sleeve, for example, or lean over the table and get a smear of Ranch dressing over my outside jacket pocket.

I don't know how gorgeous women do it all the time, dressing to the nines and then being very careful all evening. I also find myself moving around less, being less frantic with my comedy. It gives more dignity to my show, I guess, and customers still seem to love me (according to feedback), although I do worry about not being able to be expressive enough to do my job.

I guess I just took that advice seriously for once: Dress for Success.

Pete Biro

Re: It's the suit

Postby Pete Biro » March 1st, 2004, 9:50 am

HOw to avoid Ketchup on your sleeves. Roll up your sleeves. :D

Seriously... If you had attended Al Koran's lectures you would have heard his opening comment. :)

"You all have enough magic. What you now need to do is to put as much money as you can into your wardrobe. You MUST BE THE BEST DRESSED PERSON in the room. Period! Buy the best suits you can afford." :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2004, 10:37 am

Not only does it look nice, but I can't think of another garment that has enough pockets for carrying a night's worth of close-up effects.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2004, 10:51 am

For the place I work a suit is generally overdressing although I do wear a jacket and tie most of the time. (In the summer I wear short sleeves and slacks but I don't scrimp when buying these clothes.) I do have a suit for the more dressy occasions and the last one I had made was treated with Teflon. Still looks great but tends to resist stains and is easier to clean. Incidentally the first suit I had made was very nice and very expensive but it couldn't stand up to the punishment, it was toast in less than 2 years. I have all my suits and jackets tailor made as this seems to enhance the look even with the cheaper but more durable materials.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2004, 10:52 am

For the place I work a suit is generally overdressing although I do wear a jacket and tie most of the time. (In the summer I wear short sleeves and slacks but I don't scrimp when buying these clothes.) I do have a suit for the more dressy occasions and the last one I had made was treated with Teflon. Still looks great but tends to resist stains and is easier to clean. Incidentally the first suit I had made was very nice and very expensive but it couldn't stand up to the punishment, it was toast in less than 2 years. I have all my suits and jackets tailor made as this seems to enhance the look even with the cheaper but more durable materials.

Oakes

Postby Oakes » April 11th, 2004, 5:52 pm

No one will ever look down upon you if you're over dressed. Your costume is as important as any prop you use, and should be taken seriously.

And while we're at it, let's not forget that the image projected with a $2000 Armani suit can be ruined with a crappy pair of shoes or a dilapidated belt. Make sure the accessories are also looking sharp.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2004, 12:34 am

It's not just what you do...it's also whether or not you look good doing it. Perception is reality, not intent. You've not only raised your own standards, you've raised others' perceptions of magicians and magic. Well done!

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2004, 1:53 pm

In my "day job" I am a music teacher. For many years I taught 6th through 12th grades, and I always dressed in a long-sleeved shirt and tie with dress pants. I am convinced that they took me more seriously, and by extension took my teaching more seriously, because I dressed like the accepted concept of an educated, cultured man. Even those who didn't like the clothes appreciated the effort that I put forward to dress above the norm. During the years that I was a college professor, I added a blazer to the ensemble, and I could tell that I got more respect that way.

In my current assignment I am teaching K - 8th grade. I found out immediately that the tie and semi-formal appearance put off the little kids, who wanted to come to music class to sing, dance, and have fun. I converted to golf shirts and dress pants, or khakis/docker pants; I still don't wear jeans, t-shirts, or logo shirts of any kind. It worked; up through the fourth grade, students will hug me if they see me walking in the hallway. Heaven help me if I dare to walk into the lunchroom, as I am rush-hugged by whole classes at a time!

The point is that dressing appropriately, but a cut above the norm, will always make you more acceptable. By extension, the mode of dress will enhance your audience's perception of your magic, especially if your speaking voice does not belie your appearance.

I will be doing a 20-minute magic show some 7 times in 4 hours at a school Spring Carnival this Friday night. You can bet that I will be dressed casually, but a cut-above-the-norm of the rest of the people working the carnival. Good appearance, a friendly smile, and a warm speaking voice set the tone of the magic to follow.

Jon

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2004, 11:28 pm

I read this somewhere and I am sure a "quote obsessed magician" will tell me who said it:

"Always dress like you have somewhere better to go afterwards"

Return to “Close-Up Magic”