What is the Ping Pong Pass?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

What is the Ping Pong Pass?

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2006, 5:22 pm

I am still working through Vernon's biography. This pass is mentioned in there. Does anyone know the mechanics of this? Is it radically different from the Classic Pass?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: What is the Ping Pong Pass?

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 19th, 2006, 11:47 pm

This question has come up before and no one has said anything about it other than its never been published.

Dustin

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2006, 9:16 am

I'm not sure if is the same move you are referring to but Ludlow Quinn (who is a good friend of Bev Bergeron) does a pass which he refers to as The Ping Pong Pass. The problem is that it is only deceptive in very fast company where the audience are buning your hands and are really close.

In this move the hands do not move at all. Instead the elbows move up and down quite fast. From a distance it looks like two ping pong players.

That's why it only works if the audience is really close and their attention is really focused on your hands. From more than two feet away it looks ridiculous. Unfortunately this makes it impractical for real world use. However it sure impresses the boys at the club. ;)

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2006, 9:40 am

*Drool* I could be considered one of those "Boys at the club" who LOVES finding new passes. Obviously Dustin said it was never published, and I've sure as hell never heard of it, but any leads on where one could sniff around to find some info on it?

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2006, 10:07 am

Originally posted by ray takeuchi:
I am still working through Vernon's biography. This pass is mentioned in there. Does anyone know the mechanics of this? Is it radically different from the Classic Pass?
First, since magic secrets are on a need to know basis... why do you need to know?

From there, the folks to ask directly are Vernon's friends and students.

:)

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2006, 7:01 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
First, since magic secrets are on a need to know basis... why do you need to know?[/QUOTE]

I have no need to know. I'm curious. I'm surprised that no one has even claimed to know what it is. Is it a mystery waiting to be discovered like the Kennedy Center Deal was or is that knowledge lost? And when I ask about it's mechanics, I'm not trying to get a lesson on how to do it (especially in this forum), just a general notion about it. The way it is described in the biography, I would think any cardician would be curious.

Oh yes, in terms of what Quentin Reynolds described, I would not think that is the move. The pass was apparently done by a professional gambler nicknamed Ping Pong and was supposed to be good enough to be used under fire.

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2006, 2:00 am

First, since magic secrets are on a need to know basis... why do you need to know?
If I bought a book that mentioned a certain effect or sleight, I'd want to know what it was. I wouldn't necessarily want to know the modus operandi, but I'd want to know what the darn thing was. And of course the modus operandi would be a bonus, but not one to which I'd automatically feel entitled.

And yes, I know that Ray asks Does anyone know the mechanics of this?, which is asking for the secret. I'm just making a general point here.

Dave

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2006, 6:37 am

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
[b]First, since magic secrets are on a need to know basis... why do you need to know?
If I bought a book that mentioned a certain effect or sleight, I'd want to know what it was. . .

And yes, I know that Ray asks Does anyone know the mechanics of this?, which is asking for the secret. I'm just making a general point here.

Dave [/b]
I'm with you on that Dave.

And . . in fairness to Ray, his asking about the mechanics doesn't neccessarily mean he wanted to know 'exactly how it was done' either. I saw it as him asking, was it Hermann style, Classic style, Turnover style, Doggy . .? Well you get the idea.
Also in fairness to Jonathan I sensed a little tongue in cheek there. Then again maybe not.
There was a smiley though.

;)

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2006, 12:20 pm

Tom Blue knows the Ping Pong pass...apparently Vernon showed it to him. Talk to Tom about it.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 7:42 am

Is anyone here in touch with Tom Blue or does anyone know how he can be reached?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 16th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Interesting; the Ping Pong pass is now explained, but no one shouts about it. Turns out it was ev n on Dai Vernon An Interview. It's a great example of magicians (myself included) seeking secrets.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2015, 3:05 pm

It is explained in David Ben's shepherded version of Revelations, published by Mike Caveney's Magic Words.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 16th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Sure; Ben's description is best. There is also one in the Cervon Notebooks. But it is shown performed by Vernon in The Interview; and I don't think anyone publiclally picked up on it being a different pass. Me too.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 16th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Is the Owl Turns Head thing explained in the Ben book?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 17th, 2015, 4:07 am

Yes

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 17th, 2015, 11:36 am

Effectively and congruently rather than a prank like Dingle's "roach" pass?

Misdirection built into context is valuable.

The ad for Ben's is appealing and the pages look great.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 21st, 2015, 11:43 am

Oh; I see: sorry; as far as I recall the Ben description does not mention the owl.
But, for me, when you understand how the owl turns its head,it is obvious...sorry this isn't meant to be oblique and deep; but obvious and probably superficial! It's about speed of return.

Also - I'd forgotten that The Interview also shows Vernon performing Twisting The Aces.
It's a wonderful film.

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » February 3rd, 2016, 6:59 am

Hi,
Speaking of "The Interview"; is it still available ?
Thanks and regards

Th.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 3rd, 2016, 8:06 am

Return to “Close-Up Magic”