Slydini's Imp Pass, Slydini Switch, and Guyatt

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Slydini's Imp Pass, Slydini Switch, and Guyatt

Postby El Mystico » April 1st, 2014, 2:25 pm

Firstly - I apologise in advance to Jonathan - I have no videos...

Slydini's brilliant Imp Pass was first published in Slydini Encores in 1966. In the description it is made clear that he had "never exposed it"
In The Best of Slydini and More (1976) in the Bonus section, the Slydini Switch is described, as "Possibly the prize move in the book, an outstanding sleight"
While one is the means to the production of an item, and the other is a switch, those familiar with both will recognise their strong relationship.

In Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism, in the card trick section, on p316, there is Guyatt's "Card Exchange".
Now, to me, there is very little to distinguish this from the Slydini Switch.
But the card trick section was published in 1958. Eight years before Slydini Encores, and eighteen years before Slydini encores.

Now, Guyatt is still alive, and I asked him about this. He said he developed his switch in the 1950s, for a card to pocket routine.
He also says he did not meet Slydini until 1968.

Now, I'm not aware of any suggestion that Slydini stole material from others. Indeed, his approach was so individual, it would be unlikely. And when you read the description of the Guyatt move in 13 Steps, it is clear that Slydini's unique take on timing has influenced Guyatt's thinking. And for the record, Guyatt is clear; "I imagine that Slydini developed his Imp Pass long before I developed my card change."
But - it is worth recording (and I'm not aware of anyone else doing so), that, in print, Guyatt's Card Exchange preceded both the Imp Pass and the Card Exchange.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Slydini's Imp Pass, Slydini Switch, and Guyatt

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 1st, 2014, 2:48 pm

That's quite the find. Time to review that book again... and hours later - finding confirmed. Looks like the same theory and application.

??? puzzled here too.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » April 2nd, 2014, 10:18 pm

The Slydini catalog is a very interesting one. The most regarded pieces tend to be highly stylized versions of already established premises or at least concepts. The coins, silks, and the sponge balls being examples. The Helicopter Card, Prediction in Red, and his second deal are notable exceptions. Then there's this group of smaller items, typically not found in his more seminal work, which I think where more pieces of interest for him. It seems to me that he was drawn to ideas that fit his way of thinking and then would go about working them out to fit his style. The Slydini Invisible Pass bears a striking resemblance to the Zingone table pass, but with the typical touches, fingering changes, and unique mannersms. I've always assumed that he learned it from Expert Card Technique, but adjusted it to his style. Maybe. Could the Slydini switch be something he worked out based on something somebody showed him? Perhaps. Friends must have showed him lapping stuff all the time. It might have come to him second or third hand. Maybe; though I would agree that the imp pass and much of what he derived from it are probably among his earliest developments. Exchanging an object under cover of a table top is not exactly an abstract concept, both gentleman could have easily arrived at the move independently. Unless there is someone around that remembers seeing Slydini use his switch, say in the 1940's, I'm not sure we'll ever know who found it first. It's a really cool find El Mystico.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 2nd, 2014, 11:22 pm

Vernon spent a lot of time with Slydini when they both lived in New York. Slydini could have seen much that way. I also think Slydini was close to Jacob Daley.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”