Optical Toss

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Optical Toss

Postby El Mystico » February 15th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Today by a happy coincidence I was playing with Larry Jennings' Optical Toss, while looking through a volume of Apocalypse.
It struck me that Harry Lorayne's Sandwichange is, in effect, an application of the Optical Toss.
I don't mean that Harry stole from Larry.
Just that the heart of both moves is the same.
But Harry disguises the move within a sandwich handling.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Optical Toss

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 15th, 2014, 1:48 pm

That would be so much more informative if you posted a snipit of the item as found or a video of the items as done.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 15th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That would be so much more informative if you posted a snipit of the item as found or a video of the items as done.

Do you want him to wipe your arse for you too?

He told you where the things are from.

Kids today, eh? They want it on a plate...

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm

mrgoat; to be fair, this probably isn't the Optical Toss that you are thinking of....

(Larry Jennings's Optical Toss is in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings.
Sandwichange is in Apocalypse Vol 15 No 5 May 1992
I'm sorry, I don't know of any video of these moves.)

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 15th, 2014, 3:06 pm

(To be honest I'm a bit surprised Jonathan isn't familiar with Apocalypse, since several of his effects are published there; or with the Jennings book, since Jennings is widely regarded as one of the finest close up magicians... but, hey, we're all busy)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 15th, 2014, 3:12 pm

I find Dennis Behr's site to be invaluable for looking up references: http://archive.denisbehr.de/

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 15th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I love the Behr site; it was what I checked before posting here.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 15th, 2014, 4:45 pm

El Mystico wrote:(To be honest I'm a bit surprised Jonathan isn't familiar with Apocalypse, since several of his effects are published there; or with the Jennings book, since Jennings is widely regarded as one of the finest close up magicians... but, hey, we're all busy)

The idea of making an unsupported comparison ... then why ask others to check up on inner dialog that magically gets posted? One could just ask Harry directly if he's aware of the Jennings bit and proceed with constructive dialog from there. Or if one wishes to make an argument in public one could cite - cut/paste - video clip and so present something that merits consideration.

being "special" is not always a good thing.

magic as at least one root in rhetoric. Or so the invisible miniature flying elephant that wants be called Elmer tells me.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 16th, 2014, 11:40 am

El Mystico:

I compared the moves-- I agree, they are very similar moves.

IMHO, in both routines, it's important to justify why the cards are coming back to the deck and why a left hand that is already holding the deck is dropping the cards to the table instead of using the empty right hand to do so.

Harry published 3 excellent variations of the Sandwichange by Doug Edwards in the July 1992 issue of Apocalypse, the first of which addresses this issue by using both hands to display the sandwich.

I was also thinking that Guy Hollingworth's "Waving the Aces" move is a very distant relative of these moves as well since a similar action with overlapped cards is used. In this case, however, it's visible change.

(The Jennings routine "Synchronicity" (can be seen on this DVD as well http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/larry- ... t-1-2-dvd/ ) Sandwichange is on HL Best Ever, Volume 3 DVD, albeit in an explanation only. "Waving the Aces" can be seen here

A Brit performing in French on Japanese TV :D )

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2014, 12:24 pm

The description of the Jennings move in his book sucks. There is no "toss" in the sleight.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 16th, 2014, 1:10 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
I was also thinking that Guy Hollingworth's "Waving the Aces" move is a very distant relative of these moves as well since a similar action with overlapped cards is used. In this case, however, it's visible change.

I believe Hollingworth says as much in his book.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 16th, 2014, 1:38 pm

In the DVD cited above, Jennings mentions that the optical toss was published earlier in "my Epilogue Special." However, for the life of me, I can't find it those issues of Epilogue.

The Optical Toss is also used with cards of different colors in the Optical Prediction (pg. 80, The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings), which I think greatly enhances the illusion.
Last edited by erdnasephile on February 16th, 2014, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 16th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:

I believe Hollingworth says as much in his book.

Hi, Chris:

You're right--page 24 in Guy's book. I hadn't noticed Guy's comment before--glad to know I'm not crazy. Good catch!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 17th, 2014, 3:07 am

I was pleased to discover that:

The Optical Toss and Two Applications
Optical Transposition

are scheduled to be included in "Mr Jennings Takes it Easy".

The move really is pretty cool (and Synchronicity is a great routine).

It wonder if the move could be useful in an opening to three card monte type routine?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 17th, 2014, 4:18 am

Thank you - some really useful information!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 17th, 2014, 10:17 am

Erdnasephile: the best source I know of that lists Larry's published work is
http://www.larryjennings.com/print.htm
Like you, I couldn't see the Optical Toss in Epilogue, and it is not listed here either.
I do wonder if it is in Unmatchable Matches—Genii (January 1965, p. 269) - but that may just be a trick with matches!

(While the move is called Optical Toss, the description in Classic Magic tells you to move the cards forward then drop...so I guess the title is a misnomer)

PS - today would have been his birthday.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 17th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Mr. Jennings! (I sure wish the greats could stay with us here a little longer)

EM: I'll check that reference. I happened to have a copy of the May, 1970 Jenning's Genii at hand, but it's not there either.

The exact quote on the DVD is: "Now, I've had this move in print in my Epilogue Special, but no one picked up on it. But I think when you see it done, that you'll like it enough, you'll start doing it" He also refers to the move as being "fairly new"--not sure when the recording was originally made.

While we're talking: that trick, Synchronicity, has a couple other moves of interest from Larry: his method for the Curry Turnover change--with an easier get ready. Also, his two card push-off, which looks so natural.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2014, 12:52 pm

The descriptions of all those sleights in the Jennings Classic Magic book are incorrect.

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 17th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The descriptions of all those sleights in the Jennings Classic Magic book are incorrect.

Every single one!?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Most of them, yes. Either they're just plain wrong, or vital details are lacking that make them do-able, invisible, and so on. Try doing the Optical Add-On as described. It will be plainly visible to the audience.

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 17th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Most of them, yes. Either they're just plain wrong, or vital details are lacking that make them do-able, invisible, and so on. Try doing the Optical Add-On as described. It will be plainly visible to the audience.

I do know what you mean; it is such a crying shame. If only Maxwell's book could be revised by an experienced publisher of magic books..............?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”