Bob Hummer

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Bob Hummer

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2002, 3:54 pm

Inspired to track down Bob Hummer material after reading several brilliant routines in Jerry Sadowitz's 'The Crimp' - I almost drew a blank in terms of getting hold of books dedicated to the works of Bob Hummer. A couple of weeks ago, however, Denny and Lee's magic studio were doing a clear-out - and I managed to get hold of 'The Collected Secrets of Bob Hummer' -by Karl Fulves - and also 'Six more Hummers'. The former contains the complete text of the latter (in fact it contains a collection of Hummer's marketed material- and so I suspect that the 'Collected Secrets' contains most of Hummer's work.

However, I am intrigued by the life of this guy and also whether there are any other (more recent) books out there talking about Hummer - or perhaps some magazine articles etc.

If anyone out there can help - I'd be very grateful

Thanks in advance

Derek

John Smetana

Re: Bob Hummer

Postby John Smetana » November 27th, 2002, 4:33 pm

Hi Derek,
I can understand you interest in Bob Hummer. He was truly one of magic's characters.
The only substantial piece about him was written by Clarke (the Senator) Crandall.Crandall seems to be the person who was closest to Hummer. If I'm not mistaken it's reprinted in the "Collected Works" book.( I don't have my copy available as I write this) If it isn't,it's in the book that contains all of Crandall's columns from TOPS magazine.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :cool:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2002, 4:54 pm

Derek,
Pretty much all of Hummer's stuff is in the Fulves book. You're very lucky to have obtained a copy, as it is exceptionally rare.
You're more likely to find bio stuff on Hummer by looking through magazines from the 40s and 50s, I would guess: Genii, Tops, Linking Ring, Sphinx, etc.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » November 27th, 2002, 7:00 pm

FYI, there were two editions of the Fulves book Bob Hummer's Collected Secrets. The first was published in July 1980, and ran 109 pages. The second came out the following January, and had fifteen additional pages -- primarily addenda and variations.

Included was an autobiographical 1953 letter written by Hummer to C. Verne Bloch, which had been published in the Linking Ring in May of that year.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2002, 6:32 am

Does anyone know what happened to Bob?
Chad

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2002, 5:44 pm

Originally posted by my friend Richard Kaufman:
Pretty much all of Hummer's stuff is in the Fulves book. You're very lucky to have obtained a copy, as it is exceptionally rare.
I just requested and received a list of available publications from Mr. Fulves, and there was a book listed as "Bob Hummer's Collected Tricks," for $35.

Anyone know if this is the same book mentioned by Mess. Jones, Kaufman & Maven?

--Randy Campbell

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2002, 10:40 pm

Haven't heard of this new book, but it's possible it's the same one, or a cut-down version that Karl has published.
The only way to find out is to write Karl and ask him, since no one has his phone number. If he has e-mail, no one knows it!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

prodigy

Postby prodigy » September 17th, 2015, 1:37 am

Sorry to bump this up but I just thought I'd mention that there is an article about Hummer and Crandall in Magicol No 168 (August 2008). This might be of interest to some.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » September 17th, 2015, 2:03 am

Return to “Close-Up Magic”