Second Dealing Effects?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bryan Urban

Second Dealing Effects?

Postby Bryan Urban » June 4th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on the forum forever, but it's high time to participate.

A few years ago I put in the work with Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique and got the knack for a more than passable second. My current dilemma is finding some strong effects where dealing seconds is really the BEST method. Many effects CAN be done with a second, but it's often not the best method. I'm not looking for gambling routines or the obvious card at any number.

The best effect I know that depends on a second is Elmsley's Diamond Cut Diamond, which requires ten in a row and packs a real punch.

Any suggestions? What are your favorite effects that depend on a second?
Or do I possess an unusual skill with limited use?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Second Dealing Effects?

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 4th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Look in The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley and Gene Maze and the Art of Bottom Dealing. Both have multiple effects with the Second Deal.

You also might want to take a look at the Buckley description of the sleight itself in Card Control. This is the method which Gene Maze used to great success. His Second Deal was invisible.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » June 5th, 2013, 1:59 am

I like the Black and Red Puzzle in Vernon's Ultimate Secrets.

Alfred

Postby Alfred » June 5th, 2013, 2:44 am

"Call to the colors" is a lovely effect that relies entirely on the second deal. Whilst there are many versions, I'm biased towards Ascanio's "Alternating the colors" which is a good example of clever construction and routining.

As it is often stated in the magic literature, the second deal (or any other false deal) is best used as an indirect weapon to accomplish some secret manoeuvre (and not as a direct effect as in "Diamond cut diamond" or "Call to the colors" or any gambling demonstration).

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 5th, 2013, 2:52 am

Roy Walton's Cannibal Cards.

Steve Ehlers

Postby Steve Ehlers » June 5th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Jack Carpenter has a number of very nice effects using the second deal. One of the best is called Nine Angry Men--It is a poker demo.

Steve

J Bright

Postby J Bright » June 12th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Effective Card Magic by Bill Simon has five or so tricks.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » June 13th, 2013, 9:21 am

I have versions of both 'Call to Colors' ("Long Distance Call") and 'Diamond cut Diamond' ("Diamond Mine: 2 versions)

Many pro/card guys have told me these are their preferred handlings (both pack a strong punch / climax other versions lack: for example: in the Elmsley effect: then card reverts & the remaining 9 change color... In Long Distance Call the entire deck segregates ;)

Both (and much more) are available in "Tricks of My Trade" (Cummins / FASDIU) 200 pages, 30 items

I've got some stock of the limited reprint (2nd edition)

Http://www.dougconn.com
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 13th, 2013, 10:30 am

+1 for Walton's Cannibal Cards

I can't do a second deal at all well, but that trick makes it somehow seem easy!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 13th, 2013, 2:12 pm

+1 for Tricks of my Trade

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 13th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Alfred wrote:As it is often stated in the magic literature, the second deal is best used as an indirect weapon to accomplish some secret manoeuvre and not as a direct effect as in "Diamond cut diamond"

The second deal is the secret maneuver that goes to indirectly create the effect in Elmsleys Diamond Cut Diamond.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 13th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Doug Conn wrote:Many pro/card guys have told me these are their preferred handlings (both pack a strong punch / climax other versions lack: for example: in the Elmsley effect: then card reverts & the remaining 9 change color

Wow! If after the color change, you could then transform the nine cards into a bouquet of flowers, you would really have something!

As for myself, I will stick with the original Elmsley handling, even though it "lacks a climax".

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » June 15th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Brad (*with all due respect **which after your quaint jab is waning)

I've never performed my effect (nor Elmsley's) for the laity. Apparently you feel his simple direct "piece" is good as is.

IMHO; One's working rep deserves to consist of much higher standard (& yes I know who I'm speaking of; Alex Elmsley is my a#1 hero in magic)

Exception: I could see using DCD in a routine of sorts: a small seque or intro.
Anyhow;
I was just making note of others opinions (I won't name names, but I think you just managed to (Mis?)call a sector of cardopia; dunces)

Regardless: my "fix" was simply a problem posed to invert the cards in play.
Just a lil puzzle
It's kind of a hobby of mine (that sometimes works out to produce useable material (if not for me, sometimes for others.)

Nice "jab "on the 'bouquet productions'.
I'd much rather someone (attempt to) ridicule me than intelligently make a point so that others may learn "the right way". (Sigh)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 15th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Doug, I have a great deal of respect for the contributions you have made to the art. My comment was not meant as an attempt to ridicule you, but was meant to ridicule, in general, the concept of adding "kicker" endings to existing effects.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » June 16th, 2013, 9:33 am

I understand

I try to be careful that any (well, most any) kickers I add have some synergy to the effect... & Ill argue that in Diamond Mine, I hit the mark (the effect stays true; cards transform during a deal) Now, if I added a four ace production or some weird collectors, then well, I would accept the constructive criticism (but in this particular case, I don't think the denouncement is appropriate)

However: I do commend you for fighting the good fight! I now understand what your goal in posting was & agree that unsolicited kickers should be kicked put the door!

Thanks for your thoughts

Return to “Close-Up Magic”