Coins Across - Last Coin

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Coins Across - Last Coin

Postby El Mystico » May 30th, 2013, 1:22 pm

I was talking to a friend recently about the last coin in a coins across routine using a shell; the now fairly common handing of making the coin travel to the spectator's hand.
He thought this handling belonged to Jennings; he said Jennings had told him it was his.

My memory was that, in the Dingle book, Richard gave credit to Bob Read. But that at some point later, he corrected himself to say it was Bob Ostin. Certainly, in the Bob Ostin book, he claims to have come up with the idea.

Can anyone shed any light? - Richard in particular?

Thanks

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Coins Across - Last Coin

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 30th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Paul Chosse offers some history on that item here:
viewtopic.php?t=5771

excerpt:
less than an hour later, for a table full of very well posted magicians, Larry PERFORMED this coins across. The assisting spectator wwas so aghast at the last coin that he literally THREW the coins in the air. He was absolutely stunned!

I can attest that about that time (late 1970s) the idea of doing the HPC from the shell was being explored by Geoff Latta and the underlying idea was understood (at least in NY) as being Jennings with a nod to Kort.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » May 30th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Jonathan, the "nod towards Kort" would be for the last coin in his shelled coins thru table, wouldn't it? That appeared in the 1952 Bobo's, IIRC, and if not, then in the 1964 second Ed. Wouldn't that predate LJ's handling?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 30th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I don't recall reading the idea of dropping of the nested coin (HPC idea) as a load being present in Kort's routine. Not sure if the bit where you put them all in someone's hand then lift off the gaff was mentioned there either. Would you have the book onhand for a quick review of that last coin?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2013, 5:37 pm

This has nothing to do with Han Ping Chien.

The idea of placing the stack of coins on the spectator's hand and then lifting off only the shell belongs to Bob Ostin.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » May 31st, 2013, 9:07 am

The idea of using the "seeing the coin go visibly" gag to load the spectator's hand appears in the 1952 first edition of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. See chapter XII which also includes Kort's Protean Coin and his Assembly using one off-color coin. I don't have my copy of Kort available, so I can't say whether Kort credits Ostin there, but there is no credit to Ostin in Bobo's. Richard, what is your source for the credit to Ostin?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 1st, 2013, 2:33 am

It doesn't seem to be in the Kort book.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 1st, 2013, 4:00 am

Ostin writes he developed his ending after reading the Jennings routine in a magazine. I presume this was Peripatetic Coins in Genii in 1966. So it looks like Kort was there first.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”